Director of Football

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, inter politics said:

Liam Rosenior

42 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

That was my 'left of field' guess - he's been worth listening to during the past season - though would he give up a cushy job at Sky for a short-term role?

Suspect it will be someone up until Christmas to provide an insight into teams (sort of consulatncy role) and may well be someone with no previous links to Derby though I'd guess it's someone who's well thought of in the game or Mel probably wouldn't have mentioned it....

He's also assistant-manager for Brighton U23s

On a serious note, Chris Powell wouldn't completely surprise me. That being said, he had a recent spell as a No1 at Southend so may want to pursue his own managerial career.

Thinking slightly more about it, could a return for Kevin Phillips be on the cards? Spent a few years here under Pearson, Mac2 and Rowett, knows the Championship inside out having then gone onto Stoke and, I've heard, still lives fairly locally. May have burned a few bridges in jumping ship but nothing too major. Could make sense. By the sounds of it, as well, Cocu's two assistants are predominantly defensive coaches, so Phillips could bring in some expertise.

The reality is, it's all just guesswork. We've got no idea. But I think its an eminently sensible decision by Mel. Bringing in Championship experience would complement the coaching team no end alongside a world class manager, two trusted assistants and a good, forward thinking GK coach with some championship experience in Given.

6 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

On a serious note, Chris Powell wouldn't completely surprise me. That being said, he had a recent spell as a No1 at Southend so may want to pursue his own managerial career.

Thinking slightly more about it, could a return for Kevin Phillips be on the cards? Spent a few years here under Pearson, Mac2 and Rowett, knows the Championship inside out having then gone onto Stoke and, I've heard, still lives fairly locally. May have burned a few bridges in jumping ship but nothing too major. Could make sense. By the sounds of it, as well, Cocu's two assistants are predominantly defensive coaches, so Phillips could bring in some expertise.

The reality is, it's all just guesswork. We've got no idea. But I think its an eminently sensible decision by Mel. Bringing in Championship experience would complement the coaching team no end alongside a world class manager, two trusted assistants and a good, forward thinking GK coach with some championship experience in Given.

Suggesting on here that Kevin Phillips as an expert attacking coach? Know your audience...!

Some need to listen to Mel's interview. He said that the incoming person has championship knowledge but not necessarily in coaching. To me this rules out people like Moore, McClaren, Redknapp, Powell, Simmo, anyone who has been a manager or assistant manager before. 

1 minute ago, rynny said:

Some need to listen to Mel's interview. He said that the incoming person has championship knowledge but not necessarily in coaching. To me this rules out people like Moore, McClaren, Redknapp, Powell, Simmo, anyone who has been a manager or assistant manager before. 

Step up.... 

image.png.43c00c352b9ecea61828c8afd2c9ab80.png

44 minutes ago, rynny said:

Sam Rush

Waste of money Mel. You're over thinking it.

we've already got shay given, michael johnson and roy mac who watch every game. Let the new bloke settle in before and decide what he needs - if anything.

11 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Waste of money Mel. You're over thinking it.

we've already got shay given, michael johnson and roy mac who watch every game. Let the new bloke settle in before and decide what he needs - if anything.

He's probably asked for it tbf.

It doesn't seem like something that needs to be a long term appointment anyway.

I'm pretty sure that Mel said on the phone in that the person he bringing in doesn't necessarily have the coaching experience in the Championship but has knowledge of it. 

Doesn't sound like Mac III to me...

Archived