Director of Football

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Thought similar. Cocu has brought 2 assistants, with given and wassall linking to the academy, both of whom have Championship experience, how many coaches do we need???

At least one goalkeeping coach - Would be my thought...

16 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Paul Simpson would be a good fit. Knows the club, the Championship and the top young English players. Seems to fill in the gaps that Cocu will inevitably have. Also worked for a manager with a strange Dutch accent before.

Yeh i can see him abandoning his world cup winning side to come and take a job here where he wouldnt be the manager or even the assistant manager, but some other role which might not even involve any coaching at all.

25 minutes ago, cosmic said:

This interview with Mel says the appointment won't necessarily be a "coaching" appointment.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/07/mel-morris-discusses-phillip-cocus-appointment

"We're already looking as well to try and bolster the ranks in rems of, not necessarily coaching experience of the Championship, but knowledge of the Championship."

Maybe the Mexican finally got up off his backside and sent his CV in ?

He knows not only the Championship but also where you can go in Spain to pick up a million Will Hughes'ys for around 100k each.

5 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Yeh i can see him abandoning his world cup winning side to come and take a job here where he wouldnt be the manager or even the assistant manager, but some other role which might not even involve any coaching at all.

Mel indicated that the role might only be to help with Cocu's transition. With Simo being based in Burton, he could combine his FA role with an advisory one at Derby County.

8 minutes ago, GenBr said:

He’s doing crap at the minute though. Really badly.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

He’s doing crap at the minute though. Really badly.

He's lost a few games. That doesnt mean he would just abandon coaching altogether to come here. At the very least he'd be looking for an assistant manager job if he leaves England.

4 minutes ago, inter politics said:

Liam Rosenior

That was my 'left of field' guess - he's been worth listening to during the past season - though would he give up a cushy job at Sky for a short-term role?

Suspect it will be someone up until Christmas to provide an insight into teams (sort of consulatncy role) and may well be someone with no previous links to Derby though I'd guess it's someone who's well thought of in the game or Mel probably wouldn't have mentioned it....

Archived