Faber versus Wassall?

IslandExile

I don't want to start a poll over this but I'm just wondering... What if Cocu brings in Faber, as is rumoured, to run the academy, what then for our Darren Wassall?

IMHO Darren is doing a wonderful job and we're really starting to see the fruits of his labours.

But do we trust Cocu completely and if he wants his own man in, then it's up to him?

Maybe Frank and Jody saw enough in Darren to want to take him with them (it was speculated on by the media - i.e. the monkeys with typewriters who will eventually write everything), so did Cocu mention Faber merely as a backup option were Wassall to leave?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, europia said:

Just wonder how many academy players have made it into the 1st team during Wassall's tenure. That would be the measure of his success / failure. 

Partly... Also depends on whether you have a manager willing to play them.

Looking at you Gary.

8 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Made it big:

Hendrick, Hughes, Bogle

Been useful:

Bennett, Hanson

Been sold without making it here:

Hanson, Thomas

Put that way, it doesn't look amazing, but u18 champions, and since he came in the academy has gone from a bit meh to Cat1 and increasingly respected as a good set up.

I think the success can be categorised in many ways. The target is to get as many playing regular league football as possible - ideally for us, or generating income via sales.

Wassall came here in 2009. Since then we've had the following make their debuts with us:

• Mark O'Brien
  • Callum Ball
  • Jeff Hendrick
  • Mason Bennett
  • Will Hughes
  • Kwame Thomas
  • Jamie Hanson
  • Max Lowe
  • Charles Vernam
  • Kellan Gordon
  • Max Bird
  • Callum Guy
  • Jayden Bogle
  • Jayden Mitchell-Lawson

Others who have played in the Championship at other clubs:

• Lewis Walker
  • Jared Bird
  • Farrend Rawson

Others who have played in League 1:

• Offrande Zanzala
  • Andy Dales
  • Josh Lelan
  • Henrik Ojamaa
  • James Severn
  • Arnaud Mendy

Others who have played in League 2:

• Nathan Bondswell
  • Dale Eve
  • Ross Etheridge
  • Rhys Sharpe

10 years here, assuming 11 new scholars each year that's 110 and a 25% of playing in the football league. The lists above don't include a those who have moved to other countries to play. Unfortunately, a lot in the list above haven't managed to forge a football league career. Only a few have so far made 50+ EFL apps: , Hendrick, Hughes, O'Brien, Bennett, Hanson, Ball, Bogle. 

It takes time to build a reputation to gain the ability to sign top youngsters on a more consistent basis. We're starting to see the investment pay off with the number of quality players about to come through. The difference in ability at youth level far exceeds what we had at the same level 10 years ago.

Last season we had a much larger group of our former academy players getting regular match time in the EFL - O'Brien, Hughes, Hendrick, Hanson, Vernam, Guy, Rawson, Zanzala. Bogle and Bennett got regualr match time in our first team as well

I thought Mel had stressed before that the running of the academy staff was separate from first team? So if a manager got sacked the academy had continuity? Unless Wassall wanted to leave I can’t see Mel letting Cocu bring his own academy manager in to replace him.

Can’t believe he’s been here 10 years though ?

Archived