Sign in to follow this  
RoyMac5

Radio Derby Phone-in

It'll be Roy Keane. 

I was so confident he'd get the main role but, fair play, Cocu has had an easy ride at PSV to prop up his record.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Alpha said:

They've considered the differences between the Dutch league/Europe and the Championship and there's someone who may be able to help with that but not ready to reveal anything yet. 

Mel did research on young players = success and found that at the top of the list was Pep and Klopp for playing players U23. 

Cocu was number 12. 

He would have got Pep if he could.

But yeah, for being succesful AND using young players (u23) Cocu is #12. 

Oh. My. God. 

Mel used this old 442 article to pick our next manager. 

Cocu is ranked 12th best manager in the world. Pep is no. 1.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fourfourtwos-50-best-football-managers-world-2016-no12-phillip-cocu

Edited by therealhantsram

Interesting that Mel said theres a chance of more chelsea loanees next season.

Thought Mel came across incredibly well again this evening, as he did on Talksport.

I was a bit surprised when he took on the executive role ( day to day, every day) after the Rush debacle. But its clear that he backs his own  approach and judgement ahead of anyone else . And who can blame him - he really appears to have his finger on the pulse. Has learned the lessons in the early years of ‘ how to play the game’ in football management and is now reaping his own rewards. An owner with the long term interests of the club at heart backed up by the analytical understanding of how the whole thing actually works. 

I also suspect that this is evidenced by the recent appearances with open questions on the radio. He seems to know that actually he's as good as anyone at reinvigorating the supporters at a time that otherwise might have lead to a feeling of despondency amongst the faithful. If anything, what has now happened may mean even more season tickets being sold for the coming season. 

When you hear, almost on a day to day basis, of the shambles at many other clubs that mismanagement has caused , we really are pretty lucky to have him. 

PS I can confirm my surname has never been Morris by birth or marriage.....and i have never even met the bloke

28 minutes ago, David said:

I'm guessing it's been hot in Derby today, suns out and some of you lot have been out drinking.

Managed out in the Netherlands, can speak fluent Dutch, I can see the logic in thinking Steve McClaren until you remember he has managed the club twice and been sacked in the space of 2 years.

Does anyone seriously and I mean seriously think, he would return for what would be his 4th time at the club as just a coach having previously been the manager and assistant manager, do you honestly think he would lower himself to that position?

Even slotting him into this director of football role, I just don't see it.

My guess is that Steve McClaren's next move would be abroad, possibly managing in India, do a Phil Brown and John Gregory or even China and I would pay good money to watch his press conference out there. 

giphy.gif

Sorry - had to be done! 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Oh. My. God. 

Mel used this old 442 article to pick our next manager. 

Cocu is ranked 12th best manager in the world. Pep is no. 1.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fourfourtwos-50-best-football-managers-world-2016-no12-phillip-cocu

I'm serious. Look he REALLY did. 

Cocu. 12th in the world. Youth record 5 star 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 rating. 

Screenshot_20190704-201743.png

Edited by therealhantsram

12 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I'm serious. Look he REALLY did. 

Cocu. 12th in the world. Youth record 5 star 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 rating. 

Yeah, he said he did on the phone-in. He wanted information on managers who were successful whilst playing youth. 

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Steele is a breath of fresh air, I could listen to him talk about football all day. 

Exactly my thought.

Posted (edited)

Random thought. Mel’s wording around something to happen in the next few days to help with the transition, he was quite guarded about giving too many clues. Perhaps it’s not just a coach, but perhaps it’s some investment _and_ a coach; lets face it, we’re a pretty attractive investment opportunity with Cocu at the wheel.

Now... who was it who earlier in the year was interested in buying a club and supposedly had investment from an unnamed group of investors 🤔

spacer.png

Edited by Ramathorn

Just now, Ramathorn said:

Random thought. Mel’s wording around something to happen in the next few days to help with the transition, he was quite guarded about giving too many clues. Perhaps it’s not just a coach, but perhaps it’s some investment _and_ a coach; lets face it, we’re a more attractive investment opportunity with Cocu at the wheel.

Now... who was it who earlier in the year was interested in buying a club and supposedly had investment from an unnamed group of investors 🤔

spacer.png

general election uk GIF by BBC