Types of transfers?

13 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

You've got to replace Tomori, Bryson, Johnson, Mount and Wilson - so on the face of it we need to be in the market for 5 players. 

You could then suggest we need to have at least 4 centre-backs on the books, so we may need another, unless someone is stepping up from the academy. I get the impression that centre-back is not a position we are particularly strong in. 

Then, you might find Cocu wants to bring in a big No.9 type striker for his version of the 4-3-3. Someone to play the Luuk de Jong role.

So, you could make the argument we need to sign 7 players before the window shuts. 7 players.

Not that I'm beginning to worry or anything, but the clock is ticking!

And if he decides to get a new proper center forward (yeah, I'm old school. I also like a black football shoes.) we might need new wingers as well. Could Lawrence adapt to the right? If not then quite a few wingers.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 05/07/2019 at 09:53, RamNut said:

A natural left footed winger/wide attacker is a priority in my opinion.

that means lawrence can move infield.

personally i'd play 4132 with waghorn and marriott up front and lawrence in the centre mid. I'm not convinced lawrence can do it but its worth a try. Dan Crowley would be better. 

So two midfielders.....plus a left sided footballing centre back. 

This plus a real leader ,a Robbie Van der Laan, Igor ,Dave Mackay type leader we haven't had one for years .

Part of me really wants MacDonald to lay absolute claim to the first team LB slot, because we're losing all of last season's FK ability and he's a baller with them ? 

He also puts in a mean corner. Wouldn't it be nice to be competent at corners again? 

37 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

?

So you'd waste resources on a goalie - and I'd prefer Mitchell as no2 - when we need CB and midfield cover?

It wouldn’t be a waste of resources because it’s a priority imo, just like CB and CM. We should have the funds to cover all three, particularly with further sales of players hopefully. It was a huge issue last season not having a good enough goalkeeper. Carson simply isn’t good enough at passing to play in the modern way we want to sadly, much as I love the bloke. It was an understated issue how much of a problem Carson distribution was- it was slow, inaccurate and constantly lead to us conceding Possession. Not to mention some horror passes that almost directly lead to goals. In the modern game you can’t be playing with a goalkeeper like that, it harms any hope of us playing a good passing possession game. Roos is better at distribution but his command of his box is very poor- Carson’s isn’t great either but Roos is like flappy bird, we can’t really be continuing with that either. 

So, despite both goalies being decent shot stoppers, there’s a lot more than that needed to be a quality modern goalie. And the importance of having a quality goalie should never be underestimated- look at the difference Allison and ederson made at Liverpool and city. So no, I wouldn’t “waste” resources on a goalie, I’d spend them wisely improving an area of significant weakness.

If you genuinely think Roos is better than Mitchell at this stage then I worry for you. FWIW I’ve thought he had had the greater potential of the two in the past, but atm Roos is clearly the better goalie.  

Just now, Millenniumram said:

If you genuinely think Roos is better than Mitchell at this stage then I worry for you. FWIW I’ve thought he had had the greater potential of the two in the past, but atm Roos is clearly the better goalie.  

excuse me wow GIF by Mashable

16 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

You've got to replace Tomori, Bryson, Johnson, Mount and Wilson - so on the face of it we need to be in the market for 5 players. 

You could then suggest we need to have at least 4 centre-backs on the books, so we may need another, unless someone is stepping up from the academy. I get the impression that centre-back is not a position we are particularly strong in. 

Then, you might find Cocu wants to bring in a big No.9 type striker for his version of the 4-3-3. Someone to play the Luuk de Jong role.

So, you could make the argument we need to sign 7 players before the window shuts. 7 players.

Having spent close to £10m last summer on strikers, it would be cheaper for Cocu to adapt his 4-3-3 to what we have rather than coming in and wanting to replicate PSV over night.

I think he actually hinted towards this in the interview on RamsTV, getting the best out the players we have.

I would be very surprised if we bring in more than 5 in this window. Having reduced the wage bill this summer, I would expect the club would like to keep it down to a sensible level, and with the desire to promote youth from the ranks I doubt those U23s out in Florida are there to just make up the numbers.

35 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I reckon we need 1-2 CBs and 1 CM and then promote the youth.

We cut the squad back last season, but by all accounts it was still a big squad - replacing everyone 1:1 doesn't help us.

Trust in the youth!

3 minutes ago, David said:

I would be very surprised if we bring in more than 5 in this window. Having reduced the wage bill this summer, I would expect the club would like to keep it down to a sensible level, and with the desire to promote youth from the ranks I doubt those U23s out in Florida are there to just make up the numbers.

Would agree with you on that, but looking at all these proposed starting XIs really highlights how lacking we are in a few areas. Centre-half and centre-midfield being the main ones. Looking at the names I mentioned had departed (Tomori, Bryson, Johnson, Mount, Wilson), I would be a bit worried if we didn't sign five. Like you though, I don't really expect it to be any more than that, what with FFP and all. In fact, what I think would be more likely would be something along the lines of

CB: 1x new signing + one of Evans/Thorne moving back into this position.

CM: 2x new signing + the introduction of an academy graduate (Sibley?)

RW: 1x new signing

I think anything more would be a welcome bonus. I do wonder however, with the reports about Cocu wanting assurances that he would be backed to be able to compete for promotion, if their might be a bit more spending than some of us expected. 

6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I reckon we need 1-2 CBs and 1 CM and then promote the youth.

We cut the squad back last season, but by all accounts it was still a big squad - replacing everyone 1:1 doesn't help us.

Trust in the youth!

I'm only suggesting to replace those five. 

I'm not suggesting to replace all the other out of contract players. I also think we could do with shifting at least two of the four LBs we have on the books, along with perhaps Chris Martin if Cocu doesn't fancy him. That would be a significant portion of the wages off the books.

I would like to see the players who have left, who were regular first team players, replaced though. 

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I'm only suggesting to replace those five. 

I'm not suggesting to replace all the other out of contract players. I also think we could do with shifting at least two of the four LBs we have on the books, along with perhaps Chris Martin if Cocu doesn't fancy him. That would be a significant portion of the wages off the books.

I would like to see the players who have left, who were regular first team players, replaced though. 

Well, I think depending on his usage - Shinnie is either a replacement for Bryson or Johnson. Not convinced the other needs replacing, I usually thought there was a better option whenever either played, and we have good young central midfielders who I think can step up and perform at the same level as they did last season, if not higher.

In a sense, Davies is a Tomori replacement, missing from the whole of last season - but I still agree we need at least one CB in as we're very light there. Tomori back, ideally ? 

Although I accept it's very risky with young players, I feel like we've enough talented wide players on the books outside of the first team to fill in for Wilson.

Mount is a big miss though, for sure. And even my heroic optimism in our youngsters struggles to see a good fit there. 

I'd like to see a CB brought in permanently. A CM brought in permanently. Both of whom, ideally, go to the top of the depth chart in those positions. Then a couple of loans to bolster numbers. Probably one wide player and one central but versatile.

I agree the LB position needs some cleaning up. Malone, Forsyth, Lowe, MacDonald - probably safe to lose one of Malone/Forsyth - unless Lowe is off out on loan again.

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Would agree with you on that, but looking at all these proposed starting XIs really highlights how lacking we are in a few areas. Centre-half and centre-midfield being the main ones. Looking at the names I mentioned had departed (Tomori, Bryson, Johnson, Mount, Wilson), I would be a bit worried if we didn't sign five. Like you though, I don't really expect it to be any more than that, what with FFP and all. In fact, what I think would be more likely would be something along the lines of

CB: 1x new signing + one of Evans/Thorne moving back into this position.

CM: 2x new signing + the introduction of an academy graduate (Sibley?)

RW: 1x new signing

I think anything more would be a welcome bonus. I do wonder however, with the reports about Cocu wanting assurances that he would be backed to be able to compete for promotion, if their might be a bit more spending than some of us expected. 

You say you would be worried if we didn’t sign 5 but list 4 signings, I would say 4 is possibly more realistic at this stage, possibly 3 if he’s impressed by the U23s.

Still think we need a few more outgoings as well to reduce the numbers, whilst we’re short in some areas, others are stacked. Left back for example we have Malone, Forsyth, Lowe and MacDonald. 

Lowe 22, MacDonald 22 in December, decisions need to be made on the futures of these 2, are they good enough, if so they need to be first and 2nd choice now, not 3rd and 4th. Do you move Forsyth on who only has a year left on his contract, send MacDonald out on loan with a January recall?

Don’t forget Shinnie who can play DM or LB which leads us on to another stacked position, DM. Shinnie, Huddlestone, Thorne and Bird is too many for one position if Cocu is to go with 4-3-3.

The balance definitely needs addressing this summer.

1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

OR we could just go for quality over quantity for a change. Every manager in the last 4 years has bemoaned a bloated squad and you want us to go and practically buy a whole new team to block  any chance of the youngsters that Cocu and Mel are wanting to promote into the first team? 

Where have I said I want quantity over quality? I’ve never said we bloat the squad, I quite clearly said on multiple occasions I expect similar numbers out of players not good enough/ not suited. I’ve always advocated quality over quantity, but you do still need a 25 man first team squad imo with the number of injury’s we get. Most of the budget should naturally go on 4/5 players who’ll be majorly involved, but you can’t neglect the importance of having squad players as well, so we need a number of signings to make sure we have sufficient quality and suitability of our options- but these will mainly be replacing outgoing players who aren’t good enough, thus not adding to the numbers.

Also, if you’d actually bother to read my post, I said that any of the signings I’m suggesting could be a youth promoted from the academy if they’re deemed good Enough. If there are players suitable coming through then that’s excellent news and I’ll be all for them taking some of the aforementioned places in the squad. But they do have to be ready, many of those with potential are still very young. I really don’t think you can expect more than a couple to be ready, so we still need a number of signings. It’s not blocking the chance of youngsters, it’s deciding on which ones are ready. We can’t go into the season assuming more will come through magically that weren’t ready in pre season imo. We need to be clear on our squad at the end of the window. Pre season is the chance for youngsters to impress and get a role in the first team- like bogle last season when he broke into the squad initially as backup RB before overhauling wisdom later on. If they don’t impress and show themselves ready at this point, then I’m afraid we have to cover our backs and bring in players externally to take the roles the youngsters could potentially have taken were they ready. Things can be reassessed in January if someone impresses in the youth teams, but one pre season is over we need to cover our backs if youngsters aren’t ready and bring in others. It’s the way it is.

Guess I'll delete that cos @Nuwtfly posted the same information.

That was my first time reading one of Steve Nicholson's Q&A blogs and it's quite amazing to see that number of non-answers compiled into one place.

28 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

...along with perhaps Chris Martin if Cocu doesn't fancy him. 

Of course with his liking for football on the ground it's equally possible he might not fancy Waghorn.

Anyway a quote from DET Steve Nicholson:

"It must be remembered that Derby did not sign a player until July 17 last summer and still completed nine new signings before the deadline. So I wouldn’t be concerned about Derby being behind their rivals in the market."

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Of course with his liking for football on the ground it's equally possible he might not fancy Waghorn.

Anyway a quote from DET Steve Nicholson:

"It must be remembered that Derby did not sign a player until July 17 last summer and still completed nine new signings before the deadline. So I wouldn’t be concerned about Derby being behind their rivals in the market."

The window was open for a significantly longer period last year though, wasn't it?

4 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

B88D4CF4-BC18-4F5A-B33E-B0712C5CC7E0.gif

Average age of our squad is 27.5 - average age of Man City's squad is 25.6

We've got room to get younger yet before we're in uncharted territory! 

I think the squad Wolves won the league with was 25.

Personally I say lets go with an average age of 23 and really push the boat out! 

Archived