Types of transfers?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

thats ridiculous. Lampard who was a world class midfielder with a twenty years playing career,who according to you is an amateur where player judgment is concerned.Yet you are qualified to pass judgment on his football knowledge.

What I actually said was he is an "amateur in comparison" to Cocu. I didn't suggest that I was qualified to pass judgement on Lampard's football knowledge. This is a football forum where folks express their opinions (last time I checked). 

Sometimes it's best to read a posters comments in their entirety ?

19 minutes ago, europia said:

What I actually said was he is an "amateur in comparison" to Cocu. I didn't suggest that I was qualified to pass judgement on Lampard's football knowledge. This is a football forum where folks express their opinions (last time I checked). 

20 minutes ago, europia said:

Maybe its just me but isnt saying that franks knowledge is amateur compared to Cocu is judging him?

22 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

IF we were to sign a winger it would be for the RW given Lawrence is the only 'certain' starter. Bennett and FloJo battling it out for the RW and Mitchell-Lawson stepping in when required is good enough for me.

Cocu favours 433 meaning Lawrence would stay wide left. 4231 or 442 diamond (guessing this is your 4132) are slight possibilities.

433 leaves us with Holmes to play in the advanced 2. Evans another possibility with Sibley, Bird and Knight as backup. 1 maybe 2 signings would be needed.

4231 would mean we have Holmes, Lawrence, Bennett and FloJo as the only senior options for the 3. Sibley, Knight, Mitchell-Lawson and Wilson being the youths acting as backup. We could probably manage with just 1 signing if we used this formation.

442 diamond makes FloJo and Mitchell-Lawson redundant as they don't play any of the roles this system would require. Only Holmes and Lawrence are suited to any of the 3 more advanced players in midfield. Evans could at a stretch, with Bird, Knight and Sibley as backup. We'd need 2 or even 3 signings to use this formation on a regular basis.

Due to their injury histories, we couldn't rely on Forsyth and Lowe to get us through the season. We needed to sign someone more reliable and got Malone. Lowe also needed to play games to continue his development - so a loan out was perfect for him. I don't think we had any offers for Forsyth (loan/permanent) so the club had little choice. Lawrence and Wilson were first choice wingers, FloJo signed as 3rd choice / backup to Wilson. We needed a senior player as a 3rd choice rather than taking the risk with Thomas and Bennett as our backups due to being relatively 'unknown quantities'. Thomas reached a point where he needed games to continue his development and staying as 4th/5th choice wasn't going to help. Wilson's now gone, FloJo and Bennett step up their contributions to the team and Mitchell-Lawson comes in as the 4th choice.

I really enjoy reading your analyses of the options, GOC. 

Been pondering on the squad that went to Florida. Cocu needs to be as good as we hope as I think the squad of players right now is a bit thin on talent compared to this stage over the last 10 or so seasons. Bit of a consequence of the loan situation I guess.

I anticipate some youngsters from abroad as that must be where Cocu has most knowledge and contacts. Have a feeling 3/4 who come in will be players we have never heard of at this stage. On that basis they will be be presented with a fantastic chance to impress in one of the best leagues in the world for young talent.

No money to buy big, no point wasting cash on 'journeymen'. Go young and keen.

On 05/07/2019 at 08:47, Millenniumram said:

I honestly think to build the squad we need we need double figures in players numbers in, loan or permanent. 

On 05/07/2019 at 09:45, Millenniumram said:

I reckon 5 perms min, plus the 3/4 loans.

Aren't you halfway through a maths degree?

On 04/07/2019 at 11:10, David said:

Appointing Cocu some will expect to see an influx of Dutch players, can’t see it in this window, this will be later down the line.

I would imagine Frank’s shortlist will be handed to Cocu, that’s what we had planned, see what you think. If you do have anyone else in mind let us know but we’ve done the background checks on this lot.

By the way, we have a great relationship with Chelsea, as you know they have a great academy and we know a guy down there.

Marco Van Ginkel on loan from Chelsea could be on the cards, played under Cocu at PSV and spent most of last season injured, could be down the pecking order at the Blues.

17 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

The word min is quite important there... as I say, ideally I reckon we need 10-12 in. But if we struggle to shift some, that’s probably the minimum

Why would we need to buy a whole new team?

In 8 days some players will be surplus to requirements. Some will be substitute  material. Some will be first team starters to their surprise. At that point we start questioning Phillips ideas only to be proven wrong in some cases

2 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Very rarely ITK and it's not 100 %. But been told by someone very close to the player that Laurent Depoitre of Huddersfield Town has been in talks with Derby about a possible move no other details but if I hear anymore I'll post . 

Would be some coup! Make it happen Cocu!

14 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Why would we need to buy a whole new team?

If you didn’t notice we’ve lost 3 of our best players from last season, had a bad enough midfield anyway, and we’ve lost pretty much all our depth in centre mid and centre back. And we’re part way through a rebuild away from the Rowett style, with more players to go still I would imagine. Many of these will need replacing with more suitable players.

I ain’t saying we buy a whole team, because many won’t be first choice. But we’re a long way off a squad that could get promotion. A looooooong way off.

4 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Very rarely ITK and it's not 100 %. But been told by someone very close to the player that Laurent Depoitre of Huddersfield Town has been in talks with Derby about a possible move no other details but if I hear anymore I'll post . 

Hope its wrong, he's 30yrs old. That don't fit into Cocu's plans and not a brilliant goalscorer of late to take on.

8 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

No Journeyman? Worked for Cardiff and Sheff Utd. 

Fair comment but they couldn't keep Cardiff up, though Wilder is canny enough in his signings to stop the Blades suffering a similar fate. We need to develop a squad of experienced pros and young, enthusiastic players with real potential to give the best chance of stabilising a place in the PL should we get there.

Last season suggests we may have enough youngsters coming through the ranks so it's whether we have sufficient quality, experienced personnel currently on the books. Not sure we have and this should be the area to focus on before the transfer window closes.

15 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

If you didn’t notice we’ve lost 3 of our best players from last season, had a bad enough midfield anyway, and we’ve lost pretty much all our depth in centre mid and centre back. And we’re part way through a rebuild away from the Rowett style, with more players to go still I would imagine. Many of these will need replacing with more suitable players.

I ain’t saying we buy a whole team, because many won’t be first choice. But we’re a long way off a squad that could get promotion. A looooooong way off.

Whatever budget we have for this window needs to be spent on players who are going to start most matches - I'd rather we bring in 2 or 3 quality additions (CB, AM & winger?) than 6 or 7 who end up just making up the numbers. Bring in the number you've suggested would seriously hamper MM's strategy of bringing through the young players.

Archived