Types of transfers?

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

It's a good point, I'd imagine a good proportion of our signings will probably be loans. Mel hinted that we'd get first dibs on Chelsea players, so that should stand us in good stead. Van Ginkel, I would say is nailed on with our manager being Cocu and Lampard going with Mount. I guess from Cocu's point of view he will just trust the scouts to put forward the best candidates for his system rather than him pick players out. As long as we aren't waiting until the end of the window to raid Watford again for their backup players, it won't be the worst window we've had in years! 

I got the hint too that we won't be buying many players, but focusing on loans. The bit where he said some of our own youngsters may not be ready this year, but we don't want to buy someone who would block off a place in the first team. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

It's a good point, I'd imagine a good proportion of our signings will probably be loans. Mel hinted that we'd get first dibs on Chelsea players, so that should stand us in good stead. Van Ginkel, I would say is nailed on with our manager being Cocu and Lampard going with Mount. I guess from Cocu's point of view he will just trust the scouts to put forward the best candidates for his system rather than him pick players out. As long as we aren't waiting until the end of the window to raid Watford again for their backup players, it won't be the worst window we've had in years! 

There's a certain someone I'd love to raid Watford for!

We could give them their money back and call it quits.

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

The takeaway from the Mel interview was that we're a week or so from hitting the transfer market, but judging by Cocu's previous signings I would expect our biggest signing to be an attacking midfielder possibly from South America.

Am I allowed to get over the top excited ?? 

We need to do some transfers as we still have a mish mash of frank and rowett signings, and there are a few holes in the squad.

one obvious gap is the lack of a left footed wide attacking player.

another gap is a centre mid who can run the game.

a left sided centre back

a reserve right back

But we still need to get a load out first. 

Personally think we need 2 permanent signings. 1 CB and 1 CM. After that, another CM and a winger on loan. Can’t see us needing much more than that. Even if we got Tomori back I’d like another CB in such as Soutar as keogh and Davies are getting on a bit.

That would fill the holes and allow Cocu to assess the squad up to Christmas to see what we need to do in January.

with Van Ginkels injuries there could be a possibility of a loan to permanent which would be the safest option.

there could be someone from PSV academy as we’ve just pinched one of there coaches that might be on the radar.

14 hours ago, bimmerman said:

I live just outside of Exeter and go to a few of their games a season. Seen ampadu a fair bitand honestly, he'd be a quality signing for anyone at this level

I just want to see that hair bob-bob-bobbing across the pitch at Pride Park

8 hours ago, David said:

As you say though I expect us too hit the market when they return from Florida, not enough time for Cocu to not only assess what we have and need, but work with the scouts on a new list of players. You've seen the war room, they will have a loaded laptop with all kinds of data on players we've been looking at. They also run background checks into players personalities, life off the pitch to see if we will have any issues integrating them in the dressing room.

Not sure on the rules over in Netherlands but South American market is a tricky one for us, you would be looking at the likes of Bolivian full internationals if we went that way, and we know from the last fans forums the club have no real scouting setup outside the UK, hence he ones we did pick up Camara and Albentosa didn't exactly work out.

Wouldn't be surprised if we made moves into the Dutch market before the end of the year, have a couple of guys on the ground over there. 

that's a great point and a situation that has been unhelpful for many years.  I hope that Cocu can bring us this extra supply line to us.  I also hope signings like Wanchope are still realistically available or has football moved on since them

3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

that's a great point and a situation that has been unhelpful for many years.  I hope that Cocu can bring us this extra supply line to us.  I also hope signings like Wanchope are still realistically available or has football moved on since them

Was thinking after I posted it was mentioned at a fans forum during Rowett’s time, may have changed in the last year under Lampard.

Dunno what some of you lot are on saying we only need the odd transfer. We’re horrendously short in midfield and centre back, and severely lacking quality on the wing as well. I honestly think to build the squad we need we need double figures in players numbers in, loan or permanent. Maybe a couple can be from the academy but you’re over optimistic if you think all the positions are gonna be filled by young players. Need quite a few out naturally as well.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Dunno what some of you lot are on saying we only need the odd transfer. We’re horrendously short in midfield and centre back, and severely lacking quality on the wing as well. I honestly think to build the squad we need we need double figures in players numbers in, loan or permanent. Maybe a couple can be from the academy but you’re over optimistic if you think all the positions are gonna be filled by young players. Need quite a few out naturally as well.

Think you're being melodramatic with double figures, but you can easily see 5-6 being needed, and got, when you consider 3 loans within that.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We won’t be getting double figures in. Did you not listen to Mel yesterday?

Our problem is the fact that championship clubs don't have alot of money to spend.

And there is very little demand for most of the players who are surplus to requirements.

If bogle stays then it could be that the next most likely player sale is Marriott. 

30 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

No words needed...

26 minutes ago, Srg said:

Think you're being melodramatic with double figures, but you can easily see 5-6 being needed, and got, when you consider 3 loans within that.

I don't think we need that many.

CB is a must - going in with an injury prone Davies and Buchanan as 3rd choice is very risky. Evans, Forsyth, MacDonald and Wisdom can play there, but none are naturals.

CM(AM) - IF we play 433, that only really leaves us with Holmes, and the youth players (Bird, Knight, Sibley) as potential options. Evans at a stretch. 1 maybe 2 players needed.

W - Lawrence, FloJo and Bennett the only senior options, although Waghorn can play here. Mitchell-Lawson looks to be 4th choice and Wilson 5th (if McAllister goes out on loan). An extra signing blocks the path for our youths

Any other incomings will be dependent on outgoings - more due to opportunities for youth than financial constraints. 

54 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

We won’t be getting double figures in. Did you not listen to Mel yesterday?

55 minutes ago, Srg said:

I reckon 5 perms min, plus the 3/4 loans.

I didn’t listen to Mel but I wouldn’t take too much notice if he said we won’t be busy- classic business tactic to make clubs think we’re not desperate and get players cheaper.

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

CM(AM) - IF we play 433, that only really leaves us with Holmes, and the youth players (Bird, Knight, Sibley) as potential options. Evans at a stretch. 1 maybe 2 players needed.

W - Lawrence, FloJo and Bennett the only senior options, although Waghorn can play here. Mitchell-Lawson looks to be 4th choice and Wilson 5th (if McAllister goes out on loan). An extra signing blocks the path for our youths

A natural left footed winger/wide attacker is a priority in my opinion.

that means lawrence can move infield.

personally i'd play 4132 with waghorn and marriott up front and lawrence in the centre mid. I'm not convinced lawrence can do it but its worth a try. Dan Crowley would be better. 

So two midfielders.....plus a left sided footballing centre back. 

P.s. Interesting comments about not signing players who block the progression of youngsters.

last season jozefzoon and malone surely blocked thomas and lowe?

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

P.s. Interesting comments about not signing players who block the progression of youngsters.

last season jozefzoon and malone surely blocked thomas and lowe?

Lowe maybe - but I think if Lampard was supposedly leaving Marriott on the bench because of "attitude problems", Thomas would have spent the season with the U23s.
We have youngsters better than Thomas imo anyway.

However, the absence of Lowe due to his loan, and then injuries to Malone and Forsyth saw MacDonald enter the first team picture, even if he never got game time. So maybe it all worked out.

Now Cole's gone, I expect MacDonald and Lowe to be heavily vying for that starting LB spot.

Archived