Cocu's Tactical Philosophy

Srg

2 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Supports the response from my pal who know Dutch football well. Unfortunately, all this infroamtion could also be translated as defensive-minded percentage football which is counting on individual speed and skill up front/on the wings.

Get the ball to the area of highest xG (no shooting outside the box, lots of crosses), defend from deep so there is no need to tackle... soundsssssss familiar, doesn't it? ?

Hopefully, Mel has emphasized what really is expected. Otherwise I'm bit worried this move is not much of an upgrade from Lampard. (Well, at least Cocu is not friend of Terry's so yeah, it will be an upgrade)

Well it's a massive difference if you're employing exciting attacking talent... compared to Cameron Jerome and a hoof.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Srg said:

Well it's a massive difference if you're employing exciting attacking talent... compared to Cameron Jerome and a hoof.

It certainly is! And hopefully we can get some serious talent in, otherwise we need to count on Holmes to deliver... Actually, the tactics sounds like a mix of Rowett's boring football and Mac's champagne one. Hopefully his tactics are combination of best parts of those styles.

For all Frank's talk of a high pressing game, winning the ball higher up the pitch etc etc, it never really came to pass, despite what the casual observer may think.

Maybe West Brom away, and the first twenty minutes Vs Boro away and that's it.

Even the second leg Vs Leeds, I felt they gave us the ball and we made full use of it, rather than press them into the mistake.

1 hour ago, desirelines said:

Counter-attacking football shouldn't be a dirty word. It won Leicester a Premier League title after all!

Time and a place for it.

I wouldn't want to be just a sit off and play on the break team, but there are matches, and periods of most matches when that's the best thing for the team to do.

25 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

For all Frank's talk of a high pressing game, winning the ball higher up the pitch etc etc, it never really came to pass, despite what the casual observer may think.

Maybe West Brom away, and the first twenty minutes Vs Boro away and that's it.

Even the second leg Vs Leeds, I felt they gave us the ball and we made full use of it, rather than press them into the mistake.

Exactly!! 

There were a good few months of regular matches played without the nations glare that we edged through. Little pace in the games, lack of energy and a passive midfield. Not complaining just that, as you say, it wasn't always aggressive defending, win the ball, fire it to Mount or Wilson and with a mighty roar the Rams are off. We had that in us but it was missing more often than not. Plenty of daily grind and guts. 

It seems Lampard's time has become a handful of high profile games. That's why I was saying I think Mac played better football. We had to grind less often. 

Still enjoyed the season though.

My main gripe with Rowett wasn't his counter attacking style. It was his counter attacking mentality when it wasn't on. When the game didn't suit us we looked lost. Ironically I'd say the one thing I think is baalocks. No plan B. ?

But seriously there was very little adaption in Rowett. 

When teams came onto us his counter attacking style wasn't as bad as is made out. 

Hopefully Cocu has a wider plan. I assume he has because you don't do what he did at PSV by praying teams stumble in the line of fire. 

Archived