Cocu's Tactical Philosophy

Srg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, coneheadjohn said:

Rowett definitely had a plan B.

Plan A was to kick it as quickly as far as you can towards on the opposition goal (whilst in a FOUR-TWO-FREE-ONE formation)

Plan B was to kick it as quickly and as far as you can towards the opposing goal (whilst in a FREE-FOUR-TWO-ONE formation)

?

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

Have a think about how much time, energy and communication go into making all this work on a pitch being played at pace.

Hard to actually implement, yeah? 

But if everyone sticks to their tasks and does their job then it comes down to individual quality which is fine.

So why the feck do people talk garbage about a Plan B? 

There's slight tweaks that you'd make to your philosophy to suit opponents but if you have two or more in depth systems then how can you expect to get near perfection in any of them.

I frickin' hate plan B talk

That accusation at Mac 1 wasn’t even accurate. Plan B was to bring on Sammon to kick all 22 players and the ball with his shins until it broke for Bryson or Russell. Earned us 4 points at least at Watford and Charlton away, that.

10 minutes ago, Duracell said:

That accusation at Mac 1 wasn’t even accurate. Plan B was to bring on Sammon to kick all 22 players and the ball with his shins until it broke for Bryson or Russell. Earned us 4 points at least at Watford and Charlton away, that.

Boro at home as well with probably his greatest ever goal.

I've just remembered that it was Shay Given in goal for them, that's probably why he took the job here, to find that magical divot.

Really excited about this season now, all of a sudden full of optimism. We've gone from rowett who played boring football to lampard who made the side exciting and youthful again starting to play some nice attacking football. Cocu though should get them playing proper football, no messing around.

19 minutes ago, rynny said:

Boro at home as well with probably his greatest ever goal.

I've just remembered that it was Shay Given in goal for them, that's probably why he took the job here, to find that magical divot.

His greatest goal... I can't remember it but I'm not expecting much.

Didn't he score against Leeds with Paddy Kenny in goal?

Kenny was set to make a save based on a proper striker hitting a proper shot and Sammon scuffed it. If I'm remembering it right that was a great goal. Properly mugged Kenny and rolled it home. Entirely on purpose. Intentional all the way. 

It breaks my heart the lack of games Keogh, Thorne, Hughes and Martin played together. The spine of an exciting attacking Derby side 

But it cuts deeper that we never had Sammon and Theo up front. A partnership you just couldn't prepare for

28 minutes ago, Alpha said:

His greatest goal... I can't remember it but I'm not expecting much.

Didn't he score against Leeds with Paddy Kenny in goal?

Kenny was set to make a save based on a proper striker hitting a proper shot and Sammon scuffed it. If I'm remembering it right that was a great goal. Properly mugged Kenny and rolled it home. Entirely on purpose. Intentional all the way. 

It breaks my heart the lack of games Keogh, Thorne, Hughes and Martin played together. The spine of an exciting attacking Derby side 

But it cuts deeper that we never had Sammon and Theo up front. A partnership you just couldn't prepare for

Thing of beauty ???

I remember last summer the discussions were over how many top footballers have failed in management and the odds on Lampard ending up back in the TV studio. He ended up at Wembley and next season managing in the Champions League.

If 10 Dutch men can’t swim, doesn’t mean all Dutch men can’t swim.

Phillip Cocu is Phillip Cocu, he’s not Frank De Boer, he’s not Dick Advocaat, he’s not Dennis Bergkamp (sorry @RamNut), he is Phillip Cocu.

On 03/07/2019 at 23:33, HantsRam said:

Van Gaal did ok at manure. 

Not brilliant, but ok.

But dick advocaat had a mare at Sunderland.....

Martin Jol had some success. 

edit: just seen someone already posted about Jol ?

On 03/07/2019 at 19:48, Ambitious said:

Without going into too much detail, I did a brief check on their 'whoscored' page during Cocu's time at PSV. A few things stood out:
1) he likes his set pieces and often had the highest goals in the league from such situations.
2) he likes his players to run at defenders, another pointer was that PSV would often have the highest dribbles per game - possibly linking into why he is such a fan of throwing money in the direction of attacking midfielders in South America.
3) he likes crossing situations, but not necessarily to a 'big man' in the box. De Jong would be their first choice, but he liked to play Lozano upfront at times. I think he's definitely someone who would see the benefit in both Waghorn and Marriott's movement in the box, as opposed to someone like Matt Smith.  
4) PSV were often in the bottom three on the proportion of shots they took from outside the box.
5) not really known for their tackling - they're very positionally aware unlike many other Dutch teams. 

Supports the response from my pal who know Dutch football well. Unfortunately, all this infroamtion could also be translated as defensive-minded percentage football which is counting on individual speed and skill up front/on the wings.

Get the ball to the area of highest xG (no shooting outside the box, lots of crosses), defend from deep so there is no need to tackle... soundsssssss familiar, doesn't it? ?

Hopefully, Mel has emphasized what really is expected. Otherwise I'm bit worried this move is not much of an upgrade from Lampard. (Well, at least Cocu is not friend of Terry's so yeah, it will be an upgrade)

Archived