Seb Thompson

NottsRam77

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Edinburgh ram said:

Looks a proper talent. Fantastic work from the academy again. Anyone know how old he is?

He was 13 in December 2015 (a news article about him signing for Liverpool is the only info on his age I can find),

so either 16 or 17 depending on when his birthday is.

When he was 13, every big club in Europe wanted him.

Looks to not only have some serious skill, but also decent passing range and ability which is something I always look for in young players. Impressed by that video of him. Looks to be highly rated and another top quality signing by our academy who can compete with the big academies nowadays. Good to see, will be interesting to see him and all the other new u18s next year- see who’s gonna make it as a pro.

8 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

Why did he not make it at Liverpool ?

May have fancied his chances of breaking into our team rather than spend an extra 5 years up there with a few loan spells. Wilson's a good example - 22 years old, 1 app for Liverpool (FA Cup), and 67 apps on loan over 3 separate spells. Meanwhile, Bogle is just 18 years old and has already made 50 apps. Bennett, who is the same age as Wilson, has made 106 career apps.

27 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

Why did he not make it at Liverpool ?

He's not at the age where you'd have expected anyone to make it, he was playing at Liverpool in his age bracket. There's career strategy to this I suspect.

I think something that young players have to consider is population density within youth systems. Teams like Liverpool, Chelsea etc. have massive youth systems - and with the volatility of young players when it comes to form, inconsistent growth etc. it can be very difficult to players to make it out of those systems. The water gets very muddy.
Think of all the massively talented players, moving around for huge sums, you hear the stories of huge clubs having "let go" from their academies. 

The draw of a place like Derby is that our U18 and U23 squads are comparatively very small, but still as highly competetive as Liverpool etc. So in youth terms, players aren't dropping down a level. And while Derby's first team is a far lesser bar than Liverpool's first team, it is vastly easier to attain - both in terms of the youth density and because of the much lower quality of our first team.

As a youngster, you only need a couple of good years in the first team of a Championship side and there's a good chance Champions League teams will start to look at you. So in terms of career ceilings, you don't lose too much traction in the long term either.

Having said all of that, I know very little about this lad as I'm sure you can appreciate. He could just have peaked at 14 ? 

38 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Maybe partly due to them having one of the best teams in the world at the moment?

True , but if he was being chased by all the best teams at 13 YO does that mean he hasnt quite progressed as expected?

33 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

May have fancied his chances of breaking into our team rather than spend an extra 5 years up there with a few loan spells. Wilson's a good example - 22 years old, 1 app for Liverpool (FA Cup), and 67 apps on loan over 3 separate spells. Meanwhile, Bogle is just 18 years old and has already made 50 apps. Bennett, who is the same age as Wilson, has made 106 career apps.

True i guess the Prem big boys do tend to not play their younger players. Hopefully we will get to see some of him this season then , or at least hope he gets on well in the u18's

11 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

True , but if he was being chased by all the best teams at 13 YO does that mean he hasnt quite progressed as expected?

My take is, that apart from a bit of muscle, some lads are almost fully grown at 14-15.  For others their whole physique can change hugely between 13 and 18. I don't think you can really be certain with some until they are 18-19 and that's on the physical, quite apart from any growth in skill/intelligence.

I've got a photo of me in an U16 cross country team at school .. I look like I escaped from the under two's. I'm a full head shorter than everyone else and look like I'm someone's little brother. I am still a bit below average height (code for short arse)  but apart from that I've ended up looking pretty "normal" relative to my peers

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

Just looking at the list there... there are some fairly unique names... easy to Google.

Osazee Aghatise, Max Bardell, Bartosz Cybulski, William Grewal-Pollard, Hugo Jinkinson, Alexander Matthews, Eno Nto, Andres Perez de Gracia, Jack Rogers, Harrison Solomon and Seb Thompson.

It looks like Seb Thompson isn't the only one joining from other academies.

osazee aghatise - centre forward, previously with Man City

Andres Perez de Gracia - from Crystal Palace 

Nice article on Cybulski here: https://skauci.uk/poznaj-zawodnika-bartosz-cybulski-Derby-county-fc/
Looks like he's been with the Rams since primary school.

Hugo Jinkinson's proud aunty made him a website when he was with DCFC under 9's!! http://hugojinkinson.co.uk/football.htm  Cute picture!

37 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Just looking at the list there... there are some fairly unique names... easy to Google.

Osazee Aghatise, Max Bardell, Bartosz Cybulski, William Grewal-Pollard, Hugo Jinkinson, Alexander Matthews, Eno Nto, Andres Perez de Gracia, Jack Rogers, Harrison Solomon and Seb Thompson.

It looks like Seb Thompson isn't the only one joining from other academies.

osazee aghatise - centre forward, previously with Man City

Andres Perez de Gracia - from Crystal Palace 

Nice article on Cybulski here: https://skauci.uk/poznaj-zawodnika-bartosz-cybulski-Derby-county-fc/
Looks like he's been with the Rams since primary school.

Hugo Jinkinson's proud aunty made him a website when he was with DCFC under 9's!! http://hugojinkinson.co.uk/football.htm  Cute picture!

Looks like Bardell is another from Man City

He looks to be a trickster but one with end product. From the video on the article he doesn't skill himself into a corner, uses them at the right time to find himself a yard of space and produce a great key pass. 

Exciting stuff if we have players like this looking to join our academy!

Archived