Phillip Cocu, Chris Van der Weerden & Twan Scheepers

Nuwtfly

Phillip Cocu  

695 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Couldn't care less what style of football we play. I want us to win.

It seems Cocu prepares each game tactically to win so maybe every game might not be entertaining. At the end of the day football is about winning if we are entertained most games then that is a bonus. I am getting fed up of just missing out on promotion let’s just do it and not get too obsessed with entertaining football 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14/15
PSV F92 A31
Ajax F69 A29
AZ F63 A56

15/16
PSV F88 A32
Ajax F81 A21
Feyenoord F62 A40

16/17
Feyenoord F86 A25
Ajax F79 A23
PSV F68 A23

17/18
PSV F87 A39
Ajax F89 A33
AZ F72 A38

If PSV are defensive and Ajax were attacking sides, fair to say PSV are very clinical and Ajax very wasteful.

These are actual goals scored and conceded, not the xG nonsense.

9 hours ago, cannable said:

I’d argue that under Mac 1 our greatest strength was counter attacking, in 13/14 at least. 

We’d win the ball in our own third, ping six passes and then launch a sweeping team move.

We’re still going to play from the back under Cocu so I’d imagine a similar system. His lowest average possession at PSV was still over 53%. They’d have still had to break teams down. 

I agree but it was a Different style of counter attacking though. Was more win the ball through pressing rather than sit back until the opposition gave it away like under Rowett. There was also a lot more to our game than that, we played the possession game when it suited as well, quite a few of our goals came after more lengthy moves.

Im not anticipating hoofball from what I’ve seen so far, I think we’ll still be playing the ball on the deck and those stats suggest when necessary we’ll play the possession game. What I’m not expecting, and what we’ve seen little of, is the high press that we saw under Lampard and Mac at times. I think we’ll play the more sit back and wait game like under Rowett.   

7 hours ago, Chellaston Ram said:

It seems Cocu prepares each game tactically to win so maybe every game might not be entertaining. At the end of the day football is about winning if we are entertained most games then that is a bonus. I am getting fed up of just missing out on promotion let’s just do it and not get too obsessed with entertaining football 

Rowett was only 30 minutes off getting us to Wembley...

1 hour ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Rowett was only 30 minutes off getting us to Wembley...

That's like saying you was on square 97, and only needed to roll a 3 to reach the end, but you rolled a one, and sssslithered all the way back down to square 48... and ended up losing!

Oh wait... what a coincidence!  :-) 

15 hours ago, cannable said:

I’d argue that under Mac 1 our greatest strength was counter attacking, in 13/14 at least. 

We’d win the ball in our own third, ping six passes and then launch a sweeping team move.

We’re still going to play from the back under Cocu so I’d imagine a similar system. His lowest average possession at PSV was still over 53%. They’d have still had to break teams down. 

Yep. 

I don't think and I hope not that Cocu has us playing on the counter when not suited to the game like Rowett did. 

An average of over 53% is higher than Mac's spells at Derby I think. No matter what some say we didn't do endless pointless passing under Mac. We tried to lure teams out when they sat deep but the idea was always to attack as fast as possible once it started. He had that 6 passes to gain control tactic but we scored loads of goals and we did it with like 52% possession on average I think. 

So Cocu's defensive tactics at PSV still saw them in possession more than Mac's attacking Derby side. 

I've read that he likes to play on the counter but its mentioned that he does it when winning "even against weak teams". 

Well the problem with Rowett wasn't his style when the counter attack was working. It was when there was no attack to counter. That's when it looked like "hoofball" and we wasted possession. 

To get 53% and be accused of being defensive isn't a contradiction though. It seems more likely that as cannable says, they still had to break teams down and they did that with possession and attacking football. 

I'm ok with us playing on the counter if 1-0 up against Charlton. 

It was playing on the counter when 1-0 down at Wolves that was frustrating as they sat and laughed at us. 

I do see people getting frustrated if we are 1-0 up and we start playing on the counter. It depends how much sitting back and how structured the countering is. If it's kick and chase then it will be frustrating but Cocu's PSV were not goal shy so...

42 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yep. 

I don't think and I hope not that Cocu has us playing on the counter when not suited to the game like Rowett did. 

An average of over 53% is higher than Mac's spells at Derby I think. No matter what some say we didn't do endless pointless passing under Mac. We tried to lure teams out when they sat deep but the idea was always to attack as fast as possible once it started. He had that 6 passes to gain control tactic but we scored loads of goals and we did it with like 52% possession on average I think. 

So Cocu's defensive tactics at PSV still saw them in possession more than Mac's attacking Derby side. 

I've read that he likes to play on the counter but its mentioned that he does it when winning "even against weak teams". 

Well the problem with Rowett wasn't his style when the counter attack was working. It was when there was no attack to counter. That's when it looked like "hoofball" and we wasted possession. 

To get 53% and be accused of being defensive isn't a contradiction though. It seems more likely that as cannable says, they still had to break teams down and they did that with possession and attacking football. 

I'm ok with us playing on the counter if 1-0 up against Charlton. 

It was playing on the counter when 1-0 down at Wolves that was frustrating as they sat and laughed at us. 

I do see people getting frustrated if we are 1-0 up and we start playing on the counter. It depends how much sitting back and how structured the countering is. If it's kick and chase then it will be frustrating but Cocu's PSV were not goal shy so...

This doesn't suggest Cocu sets up to defend almost all  season 4-3-3 attacking formation :

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/psv-eindhoven/spielplan/verein/383/saison_id/2017

46 minutes ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

This doesn't suggest Cocu sets up to defend almost all  season 4-3-3 attacking formation :

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/psv-eindhoven/spielplan/verein/383/saison_id/2017

I'm going off what I've read from PSV fans. 

That 433 attacking/defending thing just makes me think of the different setting the players had on Pro Evolution Soccer.  I always went 433 attacking and got beat by hoofball teams ?

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

433 attacking = 443

443 defending = 4231

A specific formation does not automatically mean the style of play was attacking or defending

I'd swap 443 to 434 to really emphasise attack. ?

27 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

433 attacking = 443

443 defending = 4231

A specific formation does not automatically mean the style of play was attacking or defending

That's what I have been coaching wrong all these years only using 10 outfield players?

I think this article gives a good insight into Cocu's tactics at PSV. It's from Opta, who do all of the stats analysis that teams and TV rely upon.:
https://www.optasportspro.com/news-analysis/how-psv-changed-their-playing-style-and-got-back-to-winning-ways/

The tl;dr version is that Cocu's original style with PSV was primarily possession-based and relied on both controlling the play in the midfield and winning possession high up the pitch. This stopped working effectively during the 2016/17 season, in part due to the players at PSV's disposal, and that season was ultimately a disappointing one for them. 2017/18 saw them adapt to this and instead use a style whereby they allowed more openness in the middle of the pitch and won the ball back deeper in the pitch, and attacked more on the counter than previous years. This ultimately worked as this better suited the players they had and they won the league that year.

I don't know how exactly he will set Derby up, but I don't get the impression that he's going to end up being a Pulisball merchant, he just seems like someone that is willing to adapt his style to the situation he finds himself in.

43 minutes ago, JfR said:

I think this article gives a good insight into Cocu's tactics at PSV. It's from Opta, who do all of the stats analysis that teams and TV rely upon.:
https://www.optasportspro.com/news-analysis/how-psv-changed-their-playing-style-and-got-back-to-winning-ways/

The tl;dr version is that Cocu's original style with PSV was primarily possession-based and relied on both controlling the play in the midfield and winning possession high up the pitch. This stopped working effectively during the 2016/17 season, in part due to the players at PSV's disposal, and that season was ultimately a disappointing one for them. 2017/18 saw them adapt to this and instead use a style whereby they allowed more openness in the middle of the pitch and won the ball back deeper in the pitch, and attacked more on the counter than previous years. This ultimately worked as this better suited the players they had and they won the league that year.

I don't know how exactly he will set Derby up, but I don't get the impression that he's going to end up being a Pulisball merchant, he just seems like someone that is willing to adapt his style to the situation he finds himself in.

To sum up then, he changes the way he plays to suit the players available, rather than shoehorn players into an unsuitable system?

3 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

To sum up then, he changes the way he plays to suit the players available, rather than shoehorn players into an unsuitable system?

spacer.png

?

Now don't take this the wrong way Rev, but the first couple of times I saw your new moniker I misread it as

Reverendo de Drivel.....?

4 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

spacer.png

?

Now don't take this the wrong way Rev, but the first couple of times I saw your new moniker I misread it as

Reverendo de Drivel.....?

Probably more appropriate, tbh!

9 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Just seen his latest interview. He’s a bit of a dull bloke, isn’t he?

Not really, just seems thoughtful. Don't think he likes the interviews, either. I'd put him in the "normal person" category. If you want dull you should meet some Quality Assurance consultants.

Early days too, his demeanour might change as he gets more comfortable in the job. 

Archived