Nuwtfly

Phillip Cocu, Chris Van der Weerden & Twan Scheepers

Phillip Cocu  

586 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I know others have reported that Cocu's teams defend and break on the counter but here's yet another suggestion that Cocu may not be as attack minded as we had hoped...

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-psv-striker-urges-phillip-3095765

Cocu or no Cocu if he dont attack Mel will show him the door

Tbh from everything I’ve seen I’m expecting a more Rowett counter attacking team than a Mac team. Mind Lampard wasn’t as close to a Mac team on the scale as some of you make out, so it may not be that drastic a switch.

17 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

Cocu or no Cocu if he dont attack Mel will show him the door

Article is certainly at odds with what Cocu said in Florida.

Don't think there is much in that article to agree with.  It contradicts everything that we have heard from Cocu and the club regarding his philosophy. 

Ultimately until he is able to bring in the right kind of players Cocu will have to find a style that suits the players he's got to work with.  

You also have to remember where he came from and what type of league the Dutch league is, with all it's expectations. Anyone who manages a top side will get criticised for his style of play if it isn't the cruyffian approach, or at least more attack focused. Being more defensive than Ajax doesn't necessarily mean hes A) defensive in nature (ideologically, though he may be) or B)Unable to adapt. If you have less resources than your opponents, as his PSV side did, you have to find a way to beat them, so if he adjudged that being a more balanced side rather than going toe to toe with total football, then I see it as a positive. 

I'd love to see total football down at Pride Park, but I don't think that's realistic. But I definitely don't think we'll see our Derby side go out to get a draw like we did under Rowett (Brentford away, wolves away etc). I'd be very surprised if we see a low block against the top sides, like we did against fulham in the play offs. It'll be more in-between I think.

11 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

I'd love to see total football down at Pride Park, but I don't think that's realistic. But I definitely don't think we'll see our Derby side go out to get a draw like we did under Rowett (Brentford away, wolves away etc). I'd be very surprised if we see a low block against the top sides, like we did against fulham in the play offs. It'll be more in-between I think.

God, I'd almost forgotten about that match. Truly awful. Didn't even go out to draw, went there to lose I reckon. 🤮

2 minutes ago, desirelines said:

God, I'd almost forgotten about that match. Truly awful. Didn't even go out to draw, went there to lose I reckon. 🤮

2-0 down in the 85th minute and Gary brought on Hanson for Vydra. Beautiful stuff.