Phillip Cocu, Chris Van der Weerden & Twan Scheepers

Nuwtfly

Phillip Cocu  

695 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have voted for play-offs but of course hope for automatic promotion. I think we are still in some transition, having a new manager, however aligned to the type of football seen last season, there are significant changes to the team impending. Maybe a cautious start with new players (including some youth players) settling in, but do expect a fluent style with hopefully some steel in midfield. Dutch total football maybe the aim, will take some transition to get there! I'm up for it any road up (sorry, lived in West Mids for ages).

On 05/07/2019 at 17:32, Bosshogg said:

Nice to see Mark Heap (Brian from Spaced) branching out into football management...... 

??

It might just be me but they look very similar! 

Dead ringer!

Much better than the lazy 'hitler' comparrison.

I read a similar comment on the BBC website.

Wheresome one said "i liked him in big train and green wing"

On 05/07/2019 at 15:39, inter politics said:

Careful, that tea-loving US women's team will be trying to poach him, stew on that...

Something good is brewing at DCFC. Seems like Cocu and the other two Dutch Dudes have got pretty much every fan on board in 5 minutes flat. The 48 hours thingy was a stroke of genius. Only thing that we need is patience and I am not aware of any Rams fan who is not secretly hoping for a fantastic start. My head says it will take two years to get an automatic promotion challenging team. My heart says that we will get 100 points and 100 goals this season. Get real Van Der Rampage. COYR ?

Worried about him wanting to play passing football with Keogh at centre half though! 

One of my main gripes last year was the lack of option through the middle of the park when the defenders had the ball. Effectively you need a ‘bounce’ pass to keep the ball moving but for large periods of time Huddlestone didn’t provide that. I remember just watching him for a 5 minute period and it was remarkable just how infrequently he was available to receive the ball. 

16 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Amazed that Newcastle didn’t go for him.

Cocu isnt stupid though. Even if Newcastle did come in for him i doubt he'd join them after all the negative press around Benitez departure. Cocu was always going to be very cautious about his next team after Fenerbache.

16 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Transfer request gone in yet?

No love lost there, eh?!

Watched the clip... basically speechless and can't think of a good thing to say about Cocu.  Oh dear... having said that he had been pretty disappointing so not many fans will be gutted to see him go. 

I like honest players...but this shows how important it is to remain to diplomatic, maybe saying 'he was popular with other players and an excellent coach but he never gave me a chance to show what I could do and to be honest he never really even sat me down to explain why' ... would have been a reply that would have given Cocu a get-out and even maybe cause to think.

Definitely would be on the blower to my agent in his shoes!

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Article in full: 

It was very early into Chelsea’s negotiations with Frank Lampard when Mel Morris, the Derby owner and chairman, first started doing his homework on Phillip Cocu. After reaching last season’s play-off final, Morris was determined to build on the momentum and feel-good factor generated by Lampard, and it gradually became obvious that Cocu would be the perfect replacement. Both were goalscoring midfielders, iconic figures and masters of their craft as players but, for Morris, there were also parallels between them as managers.

Morris pored over dozens of online articles on Cocu’s period in charge of PSV Eindhoven  - where he won three titles in four years – and hours of clips of team performances and interviews. It soon became clear to Morris that Cocu possessed a similar philosophy to Lampard on how the game should be played, and a willingness to utilise and develop younger players.

Beyond all the plaudits for Mel Morris my big question is where did this come from? How do you go from Hughton or Moore to Cocu in the space of a week? Who’s given Mel the tip off or was he already aware of Cocu’s availability? Did Cocu himself/agent sound the club out?  It’s exciting for sure but also a bit of a mind boggle!

3 hours ago, Andrew3000 said:

Still can't believe he didn't get a better offer in Europe or Prem. We could do no better c.v wise realistically. Stunning appointment.

Maybe he wanted a break or holiday then heard about the mighty Rams and the rest is history. No doubt having Lampard on board and those cup nights at Man U and Saints + how we played v Leeds in semi 2nd leg helped us get on the map!

57 minutes ago, samtheram83 said:

Beyond all the plaudits for Mel Morris my big question is where did this come from? How do you go from Hughton or Moore to Cocu in the space of a week? Who’s given Mel the tip off or was he already aware of Cocu’s availability? Did Cocu himself/agent sound the club out?  It’s exciting for sure but also a bit of a mind boggle!

At a guess Hughton and Moore both said "hi Mel, I'm available" and there was a lot of speculation (Monk as well), it's unclear if the club actually spoke with any of them. I get the impression there as lot of touting about and guff whilst Mel +co were hunting for the best they could get.

If Cocu had said no we could've picked a.n.Other championship manager almost at will and probably had contingency plan in place.

1 hour ago, desirelines said:

Article in full: 

It was very early into Chelsea’s negotiations with Frank Lampard when Mel Morris, the Derby owner and chairman, first started doing his homework on Phillip Cocu. After reaching last season’s play-off final, Morris was determined to build on the momentum and feel-good factor generated by Lampard, and it gradually became obvious that Cocu would be the perfect replacement. Both were goalscoring midfielders, iconic figures and masters of their craft as players but, for Morris, there were also parallels between them as managers.

Morris pored over dozens of online articles on Cocu’s period in charge of PSV Eindhoven  - where he won three titles in four years – and hours of clips of team performances and interviews. It soon became clear to Morris that Cocu possessed a similar philosophy to Lampard on how the game should be played, and a willingness to utilise and develop younger players.

Please do not post full articles as per the forum's T&Cs. 

1 hour ago, samtheram83 said:

‘Arry gave Mel the nod!! ?

Archived