Nuwtfly

Phillip Cocu, Chris Van der Weerden & Twan Scheepers

Phillip Cocu  

639 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A really imaginative appointment a Manager who will nurture the young players as Frank did .Could be more exciting times ahead we could even learn how to deal with long balls into our area .

Why do we call the Netherlands Holland?

There was a lot of confusion about its name, even among European neighbours. Amid this confusion, the English-speaking world, led by Britain, started calling the Netherlands something else – Holland. 

So what we assumed was right, became right, and in the 20th century even the Dutch government began to refer to their own country as Holland to attract foreign investors and tourists.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/24/netherlands-called-holland-7655590/amp/

From around the 10th to the 16th century, Holland was a unified political region within the Holy Roman Empire. By the time the Dutch Republic was formed, Holland came to be a maritime and economic power, and would remain so throughout the Dutch Golden Age. As the Dutch set out into the world, trading routes were established. They would travel to far off places, with most ships coming out of Holland. At the time, the regions of the Dutch Republic were autonomous, each with their own government. So when someone would ask a Dutch sailor where they came from, they would likely answer with “Holland.”

www.sporcle.com/blog/2018/03/why-do-people-call-the-netherlands-holland/amp/

Love what Mel had to say there about how much research Cocu had done on us before he first spoke to Mel.

Also love that one of his first questions was about the Academy. That he wants to build something at this club, not just spunk a load of money at it and go all out for promotion in his first season.

Could I get anymore excited for this appointment!?!?!?! 

On 30 June 2019 at 23:37, RamNut said:

Here's a thought.....

we know we're going to lose frank. And jodie is welded to frank so we're going to lose jodie. And chris jones is welded to jody who is welded to frank, so we are going to lose chris too.

but why agree to lose another 3 - 5 members of the staff?

shay given has an ambition to be more than a goalkeeping coach. He was recommended by shearer when frank was on world cup duty. Prior to that they had never really spoken so he's not joined at the hip to frank like the others are. 

I reckon we could hold onto him. 

Oh well.....i got that bit right.

1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Listening to the phone in on radio Derby now. Blimey, Mel sounds excited. You can tell he’s beaming after this appointment 

Did Mel mention anything about Chelsea players joining?

Is it an "age thing"?

I grew up in the 60's/70's (b 63), and I don't recall ever hearing it referred to as Netherlands back then.  It always seemed to be "Holland" in the world cups, although modern day literature seems to mostly refer to Netherlands.

Even a quick search of Youtube for the 1974 w.c. final appears to add to the confusion!  Plenty of references to "Holland" there, as well as "Netherlands".

Regardless which is right or wrong, I personally think any reference to "Holland" by many of a certain age is understandable, if not acceptable!

... And, they were a little bit special back then, too...

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Said that it had been discussed with Frank before leaving the Derby Manager role, We may be looked at favourably due to the style of football that Cocu wishes go implement will be similar to Frank Lampards. So going from that, we may get a good choice 

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He said along the lines of we still have a very good relationship with Chelsea, talks between the clubs have already happened, they need time to review their squad needs, there are no guarantees in football but they would look at us very favourably depending on who our manager is.

2 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

Unveiling our new Manager in Florida, probably lying on a lilo with a Pina Colada is brilliant.

bring on the new season 🐏

Similar to winning the Championship in 1972 in Majorca

24 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Is it an "age thing"?

I grew up in the 60's/70's (b 63), and I don't recall ever hearing it referred to as Netherlands back then.  It always seemed to be "Holland" in the world cups, although modern day literature seems to mostly refer to Netherlands.

Even a quick search of Youtube for the 1974 w.c. final appears to add to the confusion!  Plenty of references to "Holland" there, as well as "Netherlands".

Regardless which is right or wrong, I personally think any reference to "Holland" by many of a certain age is understandable, if not acceptable!

... And, they were a little bit special back then, too...

We met quite a few Dutch people on holiday and they all told us they were from Holland.  None mentioned the Netherlands.

Maybe it's more akin to us saying we're English rather than British? Although I am just about to contradict that by pointing out that I always say British. 

I am more excited by these appointments even than that of Lampard. The Three Dutch guys have a great working relationship, a lot of experience and a lot of success. Developing young players with the raw talent that we have should be very exciting. I am going for a two year promotion plan to manage my expectations. Big investment by Mel but it looks so much more hopeful than some previous appointments. COYR