Phillip Cocu, Chris Van der Weerden & Twan Scheepers

Nuwtfly

Phillip Cocu  

695 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Would be very expensive to sack if it turned out to be a disaster.

Wasn't on a massive amount at PSV (500k I think?) that coupled with the fact he's out of work means he probably won't be anywhere near the kind of money Frank was on/offered. Even doubling his past wages would not break the bank. 

A 4 year contract for Cocu would likely work out cheaper than a 2 year for Frank. Spreading it over 4 years keeps it at a good level for FFP too. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Have his wages been revealed??? We could be paying him £20, 000 per year for all we know. His contract could be worth peanuts to pay off.

That would make the 4th year an extra £1 million to pay off, which isn't peanuts. Again, it's not a huge issue for me but I'd prefer a 3-year deal.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

That would make the 4th year an extra £1 million to pay off, which isn't peanuts. Again, it's not a huge issue for me but I'd prefer a 3-year deal.

Shorter contracts are always preferrable, particularly for a manager when lasting 4 years at a club is extremely rare nowadays.

But it was reported that Cocu needed convincing, so the length of the deal could've been an impact in persuading him to join us. I think Mel would earn more plaudits for going out and getting his number-1 choice even if it means paying out £1million or so more in compensation should it go wrong, rather than hiring Darren Moore on a cheaper 2 or 3 year contract.

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Shorter contracts are always preferrable, particularly for a manager when lasting 4 years at a club is extremely rare nowadays.

But it was reported that Cocu needed convincing, so the length of the deal could've been an impact in persuading him to join us. I think Mel would earn more plaudits for going out and getting his number-1 choice even if it means paying out £1million or so more in compensation should it go wrong, rather than hiring Darren Moore on a cheaper 2 or 3 year contract.

A 4 year contract should also get us a bit more compensation if he gets poached as well

Now more than ever we need to be patient with the new boss because of Lampard and Chelsea messing our club around by taking forever. By contrast, Rowett had already left Derby and became Stoke manager on 22nd May last year so Lampard had longer to dissect the squad when he arrived(I know we reached the play off final this year so that needs to be factored in). It will take time for Cocu to decide which players he wants and doesn’t want-  he has far less time than Lampard did.That combined with the very rough August with some tough opening games to the season means it could be a difficult start to the season so we must remain patient and give Cocu support. 

That’s one positive out of all the negatives from Rowett, he had the decency to get it over and done with quickly before he went on holiday last year. Lampard should have done the same thing instead of taking a million years for the confirmation. I dont buy Lampard was using all this time to decide, I think he had already decided his future   regardless of the result of Wembley or at the very latest a few days after Wembley when all the whispers came out. He probably had the informal confirmation behind the scenes from Chelsea that Sarri was leaving but it wasn’t publicly announced, same as Hazard leaving to Real Madrid which wasn’t publicly announced until after the Europa league but the deal was done prior to that. 

1 hour ago, BagRam said:

Understand no announcement til late afternoon/tonight, waiting on Cocu to finalise deal 

Understand from who? 

Nothing can be announced until Chelsea appoint Frank (I've not missed it have I) so, Cocu finalising the deal isn't the only dependency. 

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Understand from who? 

Nothing can be announced until Chelsea appoint Frank (I've not missed it have I) so, Cocu finalising the deal isn't the only dependency. 

Ignore him, he's been moving the goal posts for days.

28 minutes ago, Saity said:

Yes you’re right but I think we as fans have to be more patient than ever because he has a lot to do in just a few weeks we kick off and signing players and getting his philosophy across may take time and on paper we have a tricky first 5 games

We must look long term as he really does get his sides playing good football and mainly young players but if we expect miracles straight away some may be very disappointed ....just hope we give him time as to me this is the best manager I can remember us hiring for years and a real statement from Mel 

Totally agree with all of that

11 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Where does that £1 million come from? I don't understand why they would have to pay £1 mill for a contract if it was only worth £20,000 per year??

Without knowing his wages 3 or 4 years have basically no difference to us in terms of affordability. I agree 3 is less risky if things don't work out, but I will take 4 years if it means he can stay for more than 1 year. (if hes doing well)

Just now, GenBr said:

Where does that £1 million come from? I don't understand why they would have to pay £1 mill for a contract if it was only worth £20,000 per year??

Without knowing his wages 3 or 4 years have basically no difference to us in terms of affordability. I agree 3 is less risky if things don't work out, but I will take 4 years if it means he can stay for more than 1 year. (if hes doing well)

I think they meant £20k per week...

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Now more than ever we need to be patient with the new boss because of Lampard and Chelsea messing our club around by taking forever. By contrast, Rowett had already left Derby and became Stoke manager on 22nd May last year so Lampard had longer to dissect the squad when he arrived(I know we reached the play off final this year so that needs to be factored in). It will take time for Cocu to decide which players he wants and doesn’t want-  he has far less time than Lampard did.That combined with the very rough August with some tough opening games to the season means it could be a difficult start to the season so we must remain patient and give Cocu support. 

That’s one positive out of all the negatives from Rowett, he had the decency to get it over and done with quickly before he went on holiday last year. Lampard should have done the same thing instead of taking a million years for the confirmation. I dont buy Lampard was using all this time to decide, I think he had already decided his future   regardless of the result of Wembley or at the very latest a few days after Wembley when all the whispers came out. He probably had the informal confirmation behind the scenes from Chelsea that Sarri was leaving but it wasn’t publicly announced, same as Hazard leaving to Real Madrid which wasn’t publicly announced until after the Europa league but the deal was done prior to that. 

It's all speculation. No one knows when they started to sound out Lampard for the role, or when he was actually offered the position. The Sarri to Juventus saga seemed to go on for just as long. I'd have liked it to have been sorted out quicker, but how much of that is down to Chelsea messing about?

Either way, I agree with the first part of your post. We're at a disadvantage now, with our player recruitment and pre-season hugely affected.

To be fair to Mel, mac1, Clement, Pearson, mac2 got him a deserved reputation for being an axeman, but, both rowett and Frank got let alone to get the team through the bad patch and he's been rewarded by them both leaving and I think in the more tempered chairman Mel that resides these days is inclined to give time, especially to a project builder.

21 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Fantastic post mate ??????

17 minutes ago, GenBr said:

If he's on £20,000 per year then he has the worst agent in history.

Archived