Phillip Cocu, Chris Van der Weerden & Twan Scheepers

Nuwtfly

Phillip Cocu  

695 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

The Percy article says that he will need convincing. It’s a good job we have Morris. Talks so well, as shown on TalkSport. 

Show him the ground, show him the training facilities, show him the £2m welcome aboard cheque and we're off!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some comments on Cocu from PSV fans:

Complaining that PSV plays boring football is an old tradition in the Netherlands. Ajax created the Dutch school that influenced classic international and club sides (Barcelona still worships Cruyff), but recently that style of play has shown its weakness. Failing Dutch trainers in England and the Dutch national team are prime examples.

Over here a 4-3-3 where every player contributes to every phase of play (simplified description, long post already) is seen as the way the game is meant to be played. PSV and Cocu however, don't mind playing a reactionary game, even when they're favourites.

PSV under Cocu usually played a deep 4-3-3 or 4-5-1, banking on the speed of their attackers to counter against tough opponents, or on creativity against weaker opponents. Our attackers have been great for this, like Depay and Lozano. Our defenders have been less flashy (Isimat, Schwaab, and the better player Moreno), but they do a fine job for a top side in the division.

PSV under Cocu have benefited most from a great controlling and creative midfield. Players like Guardado and Hendrix are all over the place, leaving room for creativity from Pereiro or van Ginkel.

In summary, PSV are often favoured to win their games, and usually will do just that. Cocu, however, doesn't shy away from defending against seemingly weak opponents. You'll also find him 1-0 up at home against a bottom tier team, and sub an attacker for an extra defender. This doesn't always make him popular, but it did make us champions 3 times, and gave us a great UCL run with Guardado, Moreno and Depay, where we only went out against later finalists Atletico on penalties.

------
I think Cocu is a smart coach, he'll be quick to understand the league's mentality. However, he's a very quiet and calm guy, so he might not always seem like he understands the fans and players. Trust me, he does.

As for a club culture, it's difficult to say, he came in at PSV as a club icon (started and finished his best years here, was always loved in Eindhoven), so he didn't have to craft a culture. He did naturally fit in, of course.

He has experimented quite a bit with youth players, Bergwijn has been a notable good example of recent years. Youth is a necessity in the Dutch league though, so he has to use them, our best players always get picked by top teams.

4 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Some comments on Cocu from PSV fans:

Complaining that PSV plays boring football is an old tradition in the Netherlands. Ajax created the Dutch school that influenced classic international and club sides (Barcelona still worships Cruyff), but recently that style of play has shown its weakness. Failing Dutch trainers in England and the Dutch national team are prime examples.

Over here a 4-3-3 where every player contributes to every phase of play (simplified description, long post already) is seen as the way the game is meant to be played. PSV and Cocu however, don't mind playing a reactionary game, even when they're favourites.

PSV under Cocu usually played a deep 4-3-3 or 4-5-1, banking on the speed of their attackers to counter against tough opponents, or on creativity against weaker opponents. Our attackers have been great for this, like Depay and Lozano. Our defenders have been less flashy (Isimat, Schwaab, and the better player Moreno), but they do a fine job for a top side in the division.

PSV under Cocu have benefited most from a great controlling and creative midfield. Players like Guardado and Hendrix are all over the place, leaving room for creativity from Pereiro or van Ginkel.

In summary, PSV are often favoured to win their games, and usually will do just that. Cocu, however, doesn't shy away from defending against seemingly weak opponents. You'll also find him 1-0 up at home against a bottom tier team, and sub an attacker for an extra defender. This doesn't always make him popular, but it did make us champions 3 times, and gave us a great UCL run with Guardado, Moreno and Depay, where we only went out against later finalists Atletico on penalties.

------
I think Cocu is a smart coach, he'll be quick to understand the league's mentality. However, he's a very quiet and calm guy, so he might not always seem like he understands the fans and players. Trust me, he does.

As for a club culture, it's difficult to say, he came in at PSV as a club icon (started and finished his best years here, was always loved in Eindhoven), so he didn't have to craft a culture. He did naturally fit in, of course.

He has experimented quite a bit with youth players, Bergwijn has been a notable good example of recent years. Youth is a necessity in the Dutch league though, so he has to use them, our best players always get picked by top teams.

The reality is.....

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Lampard who? We’ve got Cocu!

You beat me to it @McLovin.  Frank who indeed. ‘74 ‘78 Total football Dutch teams stunning football. Perhaps we all need to hold on to our horses just for now but this COULD be very exciting I’d say! Should be pretty good for tourism too, always wanted to go to Holland. 

Hurry up Frank sign the papers ?‍♂️

Certainly for me, and I think for many others, Cocu's name being mentioned was a massive relief from the humdrum of candidates that were being listed.

However, I think we all got over excited too quickly.....it's far from a done deal.

I no longer trust any of the journos - we've seen how they re-hash stories and now they seem to be doing that over the original Dutch article which offered an opinion that Cocu will need to choose his next job carefully after failing in Turkey. Fair comment - turned by the British media into "serious concerns over players, budgets etc" as though it was fact and that he had turned the Rams down.

Nevertheless, it will still take something to land him.

One other thing....I am sure Mel has been working behind the scenes for some time though, I trust him to make the right choice, but I'm sure someone (Mel on Talksport?) said he hoped somebody would be in place for the trip to the US on Thursday.

Archived