19/20 Pre Season Photos & Videos

Day

5 minutes ago, cosmic said:

My two favourite Rams TV types of questions:

"In terms of [answer] how much is [question]?"

"Is it a case of [apples] or is it more [something entirely different to apples, not related to fruit in any way or the topic in question]."

I suppose... at least they're questions. Mr. Gibson likes to interviews without asking anything. Just makes a statement of some kind and expects the interviewee to just riff on it.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about. 

Hey Chris, how has he been to spend so much time away from your parent club? What was said to you when you went out on loan? Did you think there was ever going to be a way back? How has it effected your family?

Hi Phillip, is it weird that you've not been to Derby yet? What are you expecting? What other offers have you had? Tell us about your time at PSV and why you think it went so well there and what went wrong in Turkey? 

Not "how important is fitness, is winning important and are you excited to get started"

I mean ffs they give media trained answers anyway at least make them work for it. 

It might actually make people feel more connected if you ask them what they had for tea last night and what boxsets they're watching. Film Craig Forsyth having a pooh on a toilet that Keogh has done the old clingfilm trick on. Something that isn't robots talking to robot. 

Is Curtis Davies going to malfunction if you ask him a question without spoon feeding him the answer at the same time?

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

How about. 

Hey Chris, how has he been to spend so much time away from your parent club? What was said to you when you went out on loan? Did you think there was ever going to be a way back? How has it effected your family?

Hi Phillip, is it weird that you've not been to Derby yet? What are you expecting? What other offers have you had? Tell us about your time at PSV and why you think it went so well there and what went wrong in Turkey? 

Not "how important is fitness, is winning important and are you excited to get started"

I mean ffs they give media trained answers anyway at least make them work for it. 

It might actually make people feel more connected if you ask them what they had for tea last night and what boxsets they're watching. Film Craig Forsyth having a pooh on a toilet that Keogh has done the old clingfilm trick on. Something that isn't robots talking to robot. 

Is Curtis Davies going to malfunction if you ask him a question without spoon feeding him the answer at the same time?

Remember the buzz of that stupid video with Waghorn and the chinese whispers game... the stupid stuff helps us get to know them way more than a bog standard question about the weather to about 7 different players.

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

You want the club video guys to ask the players a difficult question in their pre-season marketing drive?

I know it's frustrating for us but all they're doing is making the players look enthused to be back, showcasing that 'fringe' players from last year are still fully in the frame this year and having a nice easy chat with them

Having the club even lightly grill their players would be like Burger King releasing some PR video asking the staff if burgers make you fat

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

You want the club video guys to ask the players a difficult question in their pre-season marketing drive?

I know it's frustrating for us but all they're doing is making the players look enthused to be back, showcasing that 'fringe' players from last year are still fully in the frame this year and having a nice easy chat with them

Having the club even lightly grill their players would be like Burger King releasing some PR video asking the staff if burgers make you fat

Maybe it works for most fans but it actually has the reverse effect for me.

When a footballer says "It's a big club with a great history and great fanbase. As soon as I heard they were interested i couldn't wait to sign. 

I hear "I'm full of poo. So full of poo. Properly full of poo. I'm reading a poo script because I have a poo personality and this poo club is just another poo job."

I know you'll say what do you want them to say but I'd say don't ask them "Are you happy to be here?" 

I don't watch many football interviews. They get on my nerves. Only watched a few because of Cocu but I've remembered now why I don't bother. I'm used to boxing interviews which are more personal. 

I'd just rather have something light hearted and real. In boxing you get a more personal chat. It can go off topic and it can even make some fans think "Well I don't agree". There's no banter, you don't get to know the players more

I mean I get the "Look how excited our players are!!!" spin. If that works then cool, I guess. 

I'm probably just being miserable. 

But we'll turn up no matter what they say. They'll either perform or won't no matter what they say. So I don't see how the propaganda thing works when we all know the answers are pretty much on an autocue. 

The closest our fans have felt to the players were at Elland Rd when they forgot their media faces. I think that gets a better vibe than "Do you want the players to have a winning mentality?"

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Maybe it works for most fans but it actually has the reverse effect for me.

When a footballer says "It's a big club with a great history and great fanbase. As soon as I heard they were interested i couldn't wait to sign. 

I hear "I'm full of poo. So full of poo. Properly full of poo. I'm reading a poo script because I have a poo personality and this poo club is just another poo job."

I know you'll say what do you want them to say but I'd say don't ask them "Are you happy to be here?" 

I don't watch many football interviews. They get on my nerves. Only watched a few because of Cocu but I've remembered now why I don't bother. I'm used to boxing interviews which are more personal. 

I'd just rather have something light hearted and real. In boxing you get a more personal chat. It can go off topic and it can even make some fans think "Well I don't agree". There's no banter, you don't get to know the players more

I mean I get the "Look how excited our players are!!!" spin. If that works then cool, I guess. 

I'm probably just being miserable. 

But we'll turn up no matter what they say. They'll either perform or won't no matter what they say. So I don't see how the propaganda thing works when we all know the answers are pretty much on an autocue. 

The closest our fans have felt to the players were at Elland Rd when they forgot their media faces. I think that gets a better vibe than "Do you want the players to have a winning mentality?"

I'm glad you've put all this on @Alpha For the reasons you highlight above I haven't watched a single video the club has put out since the end of the season. It's all too anodyne. Cocu may or may not be asked some proper questions when put in front of the external media, but until then it's fluff. Mel on TalkSport was decent (if you believed half of it) but I doubt the club machine would push him hard on anything. 

38 minutes ago, Srg said:

Remember the buzz of that stupid video with Waghorn and the chinese whispers game... the stupid stuff helps us get to know them way more than a bog standard question about the weather to about 7 different players.

It’s sad but I really do love those banal videos, you’re totally right that you get much more of a feel for the players personalities than a Gibbo interview 

26 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I don't watch many football interviews. They get on my nerves. Only watched a few because of Cocu but I've remembered now why I don't bother.

Oh I don't either - It's why Mel Morris' interviews are always more interesting - Especially the Talksport one - He doesn't hold back on opinion and even when people could say he's taking a 'political approach' (ie, saying positive things about Lampard) you get the impression he says it because he means it not to try and dodge the question

But the point is - The club are never going to try and 'catch out' their own talent - Mostly because making a footballer look stupid is (I would imagine) pretty easy and we don't want our players coming across as morons

Some interviews are pointless. Asking what a player thinks to the new manager, they are hardly going to get a negative response are they? A lot of the interviews are predictable but then again I don’t know what else people expect. Though it would be interesting to hear what FloJo thinks to the appointment. 

1 minute ago, LittleEatonRam said:

I think English footballers in particular make dull interviewees.

But then I think a lot of them are short of a brain cell or two. Foreign footballers often seem more erudite and classy.

I don't necessarily think they're particularly dim, but it's more of if you're that good at football you don't need to learn culture, I think that's probably changing these days though. But, they're more media managed as well, so you get pretty bland questions and answers.

Education and intelligence are very different qualities, I've met drillers who are well clever, and more than a few with degrees who I'd be unkind about....

6 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

I think English footballers in particular make dull interviewees.

But then I think a lot of them are short of a brain cell or two. Foreign footballers often seem more erudite and classy.

Some of this will be cos the ones they interview are the smarter ones - They're smart enough to learn a second language (English) well enough to be interviewed in it

There are plenty of foreign players who aren't allowed in front of the cameras too

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Whoever is in charge of the twitter account should stop now and find something else to do. A short video of some players walking into a training pitch. Wow, giving the fans some real insight there. 

The interviews i get, fine. Also the short clips of passing drills etc but this, it’s pointless. 

2 hours ago, WilkoRam said:

Whoever is in charge of the twitter account should stop now and find something else to do. A short video of some players walking into a training pitch. Wow, giving the fans some real insight there. 

The interviews i get, fine. Also the short clips of passing drills etc but this, it’s pointless. 

Got to justify the holiday out there!

59 minutes ago, angieram said:

They are our new best friends! 

Did he say anything interesting? 

It was 7.30 in the morning, cloudy and Disney is about 1hr away. Oh and they are doing double sessions. Wasn’t a great interview to be honest. Was disappointed with it. 

Archived