Johnson in talks over a new deal.

Might someone let me know the current regulations and accounting requirements of FFP including an understanding of matters such as RVs. If you opt not to respond might you please click one of the emotion buttons below so that l know you have considered the matter, but simply can’t be arsed to reply because it’s not your money.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Might someone let me know the current regulations and accounting requirements of FFP including an understanding of matters such as RVs. If you opt not to respond might you please click one of the emotion buttons below so that l know you have considered the matter, but simply can’t be arsed to reply because it’s not your money.

I guess there are no football rules for rv.  There are 2 methods I believe and we are one of a few that revalue rather than straight line a players worth.  Everything needs to meet accounting standards and passed by an auditor.  There are site members who are accountants and they would be better at this than me

I’m an accountant, so know a fair bit about residual values and amortisation, but I’ve never looked into the intricacies of FFP.

Without access to their books it’s difficult to know exactly how Derby run their operation. I’m just going off snippets of what I’ve read in the past.

9 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I guess there are no football rules for rv.  There are 2 methods I believe and we are one of a few that revalue rather than straight line a players worth.  Everything needs to meet accounting standards and passed by an auditor.  There are site members who are accountants and they would be better at this than me

What you’ve said is spot on.

I don’t understand how a player can have a residual value. When their contract is up, they’re free to go. The only instance I can think of is if you have a youth player who you could then somehow be allowed to class as an asset to the club. At the end of their contract you’d be able to demand a fee for their development costs. I think that’s the only time that a club is contractually obligated to pay a fee for an out of contract player.

Accountancy is all about being prudent, and I can’t think of any other instance when a player would hold a residual value. I can kind of understand revaluing players at the end of each year of their contract, rather than using straight line depreciation, but residual values make no sense.

Happy for someone to explain it to me!

4 hours ago, TZM said:

What you’ve said is spot on.

I don’t understand how a player can have a residual value. When their contract is up, they’re free to go. The only instance I can think of is if you have a youth player who you could then somehow be allowed to class as an asset to the club. At the end of their contract you’d be able to demand a fee for their development costs. I think that’s the only time that a club is contractually obligated to pay a fee for an out of contract player.

Accountancy is all about being prudent, and I can’t think of any other instance when a player would hold a residual value. I can kind of understand revaluing players at the end of each year of their contract, rather than using straight line depreciation, but residual values make no sense.

Happy for someone to explain it to me!

I agree with every point about accounting prudence and that the directors duties under UK companies act include valuing assets. 

It seems obvious that if the players contract reaches its natural end then the residual value is 0.

But I wonder these days if football has borrowed techniques from my world (finance) and created all sorts of complex contingent rights which may in some sense have a value. This is speculation on my part but certainly we hear plenty of bizarre clauses being written into sale agreements so perhaps that practice has extended into player's contracts. 

I'm struggling to think of any examples admittedly.....

According to the DET were gutted that Bradley has moved on 

maybe I’m in a minority, 

not gutted in the slightest, frank squeezed every last bit out of him, he did well for us that back end of the season but ultimately his spell here has been littered with inconsistently .... and that doesn’t get anyone promoted, at 32 a leopard won’t change his spots 

Thankyou Bradley, but we move on plain and simple, 

ultimately he’s very replaceable 

54 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I agree with every point about accounting prudence and that the directors duties under UK companies act include valuing assets. 

It seems obvious that if the players contract reaches its natural end then the residual value is 0.

But I wonder these days if football has borrowed techniques from my world (finance) and created all sorts of complex contingent rights which may in some sense have a value. This is speculation on my part but certainly we hear plenty of bizarre clauses being written into sale agreements so perhaps that practice has extended into player's contracts. 

I'm struggling to think of any examples admittedly.....

There must be something. I’m just struggling how you could hold a high value, whatever it may be! Anyway, if it allows Mel to open up gid chequebook for some shrewd signings, you won’t hear me complaining. ?

On 06/07/2019 at 12:47, Bob The Badger said:

Not sure why he'd want to go to Blackburn City before really having chance to speak with Cocu.

Or, maybe Cocu watched enough film to say 'let him go'?

Has cocu been watching frozen...mi owd

I suspect being given the same contract thing as Blackman and Butterfield probably said it all to him. The club pretty much binned him after the biting saga. Yet he worked his way back in and gave his all. 

He had a far better final season than Bryson, better last dozen games than Huddlestone at least and yet we call him rubbish. Never has been. Probably never been the right fit but not his fault.

Good luck to him. His technical ability is poor, but he didn't shirk or hide, unlike some seemed to relish when it got physical, and was dangerous if left unattended arround the oposition area. His big burden was that price tag, we expected too much as a result.

Archived