Anyone loving the Women’s World Cup?

Ruud Aralliss

I realise I'm probably alone here but I still find womens football a bit....well....rubbish.

I appreciate the lack of diving etc but that will catch up, once the money and "professionalism" takes over but I just find the pace and power of men's football so much better to watch.

Smaller pitch & goals might help a bit.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Full of surprises you are. Pleasant and positive surprises.

Fair play for giving your time to something like that, have you got any coaching qualifications or was it just a case of you setting up some drills for them?

Always fancied a spot of coaching, would love to nail down the tough skill of getting your points across so they then transfer into tactics for a match.

By the way Burton are looking for a couple of volunteer coaches for their ladies team and I might be wrong but I can't see them getting 100's of applications. Just down the road, good club to work for. 

Got into it as my then girlfriend was a player. I was more of a helper than a full coach so didn't have qualifications. I helped the main man set things up and joined in where needed. He was the man with the badges and the authority, but I offered my tactical advice to him. I'd term myself assistant manager in reality!

We did wonders, in my humble opinion. Took a group of women from losing 7/8-0 most weeks (including 16-0 against Derby County, they went easy second half and only scored 3), to season upon season getting better. We went to losing 3-1, then started getting the odd draw and a few wins... my final season ended with winning the division 2 title and the league cup (at Matlock's ground) - very proud moment!

Authority was the most difficult part I felt, getting them to do what you wanted them to do at training and pre-match. I preferred the 1 on 1 advice and seeing the tactical big picture.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

I helped the main man set things up and joined in where needed.

Don't sell yourself short here, you put the cones out. Every team needs someone to put the cones out, without a cone man training wouldn't take place, no training would effect team performances which in turn would have a negative impact on results.

27 minutes ago, Srg said:

Got into it as my then girlfriend was a player. I was more of a helper than a full coach so didn't have qualifications. I helped the main man set things up and joined in where needed. He was the man with the badges and the authority, but I offered my tactical advice to him. I'd term myself assistant manager in reality!

We did wonders, in my humble opinion. Took a group of women from losing 7/8-0 most weeks (including 16-0 against Derby County, they went easy second half and only scored 3), to season upon season getting better. We went to losing 3-1, then started getting the odd draw and a few wins... my final season ended with winning the division 2 title and the league cup (at Matlock's ground) - very proud moment!

Authority was the most difficult part I felt, getting them to do what you wanted them to do at training and pre-match. I preferred the 1 on 1 advice and seeing the tactical big picture.

That's brilliant SRG pal, well played.

Always got time for people who give up their time for football. You should give i another whirl now the women's game has such a buzz around it. Like I mentioned yesterday, get your CV down to the Pirelli with a reference from your old gaffer. Be a good place to get started, little pressure or expectation but you know you'd get time.

28 minutes ago, David said:

Don't sell yourself short here, you put the cones out. Every team needs someone to put the cones out, without a cone man training wouldn't take place, no training would effect team performances which in turn would have a negative impact on results.

Paul Clement got some top jobs by doing the same ? it was only when he started having to actually manage he got found out.

15 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

By the way Burton are looking for a couple of volunteer coaches for their ladies team and I might be wrong but I can't see them getting 100's of applications. Just down the road, good club to work for. 

Then he might have to work with Nige.?

13 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Then he might have to work with Nige.?

Bloody hell, that's nowt. 

I'd make Sam Rush coffee all day long if it meant I got to work inside a proper football club.

I'd even fan him and feed him grapes. He just wouldn't ever want to know where those grapes had been before I fed him ?

Plus from what I read on forums, (so it MUST be true) Nigel has enough difficulty working with foreigners or players of colour so I can't imagine he embraces the women's team.

Women? playing football.? Grrrrrrr. Not on my watch.

Saw the game last night from just before the England goal.

Was surprised at the level of gamesmanship creeping into the sport. More in the USA players with the honourable exception of the lady who was booked for the England penalty who took it with good grace. But the playing into the corners with more than 10 mins to go is an unwelcome development. 

That aside, thought that a few of our players were found out. Millie Bright and Steph Hughton haven't formed that telepathic partnership of the very best centre halves. Bright in particular was clumsy and couldn't argue about the 2 yellows. 

Paris did nothing and others such as mead did one really good thing and then 2 really bad.

Ellen white came out with credit but why wasn't she taking the penalty? 

Was left wondering whether it was another missed chance or whether England again had flattered to deceive. Ah well. Won't bother watching the final.?

6 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I realise I'm probably alone here but I still find womens football a bit....well....rubbish.

I appreciate the lack of diving etc but that will catch up, once the money and "professionalism" takes over but I just find the pace and power of men's football so much better to watch.

Smaller pitch & goals might help a bit.

And swap the goal nets for lace?

Agree that once they turn pro's, and money is involved, they'll go down a lot easier!  

I really struggle with Womens football. Theres a lot its good at, but the pace of the game is really lacking I find. Doesn't really hold my attention.

Same reason I rarely enjoy watching any football below Championship level. 

If they could find a way to increase the pace of the play I think it would be highly entertaining. Slightly smaller pitch perhaps? 

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

If they could find a way to increase the pace of the play I think it would be highly entertaining

Have you tried recording it and watching it on x2 speed?

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

Have you tried recording it and watching it on x2 speed?

I'd know the score by then, no drama! 

The only sport I'm comfortable not watching live is the NFL, cos knowing the Saints didn't get battered is necessary before I commit three hours of time at work the day after a primetime game haha

Archived