Anyone loving the Women’s World Cup?

Ruud Aralliss

I’m loving the closing stages, football is a bit less mechanical and open and more enjoyable than men’s international football.  but to be honest, I have to ask myself, is it because it’s a blend of fit women and football? Does that make me worse than hitler these days? I don’t know. 

All I know is I know is I was rooting for the Dutch team!!!

and now the swedes?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting watching it the last couple of years. Wouldn’t say I’m a full blown follower of the women’s team like I am with the men, in terms of the levels of tension etc, but that’s just because the game has to evolve yet, just like the men’s had to over the course of a century. Make sure to watch and support england women nowadays when we’re on tv which I didn’t do until a year or so back, and naturally I want them to win. Been enjoying watching it too, for the football in the main as well, the quality is pretty decent. Weirdly enough, I find where it lacks to men’s football is in some of the basics- seem to be a lot of silly mistakes where possession is given away recklessly, playground quality defending etc. Things you’d kinda expect to be fine and then expect the quality to be lacking in some of the more complicated skill and movement that’s taken a long time to master in the men’s game- but that’s not the case because some of that more complex stuff has been quality from what I’ve seen. Strange. 

Good to watch mind and I’ve definately enjoyed it. Even if I was a little annoyed when Neville dropped our left back the other night, for... non footballing reasons? Despite it being the correct call on the pitch?

10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Starting watching it the last couple of years. Wouldn’t say I’m a full blown follower of the women’s team like I am with the men, in terms of the levels of tension etc, but that’s just because the game has to evolve yet, just like the men’s had to over the course of a century. Make sure to watch and support england women nowadays when we’re on tv which I didn’t do until a year or so back, and naturally I want them to win. Been enjoying watching it too, for the football in the main as well, the quality is pretty decent. Weirdly enough, I find where it lacks to men’s football is in some of the basics- seem to be a lot of silly mistakes where possession is given away recklessly, playground quality defending etc. Things you’d kinda expect to be fine and then expect the quality to be lacking in some of the more complicated skill and movement that’s taken a long time to master in the men’s game- but that’s not the case because some of that more complex stuff has been quality from what I’ve seen. Strange. 

Good to watch mind and I’ve definately enjoyed it. Even if I was a little annoyed when Neville dropped our left back the other night, for... non footballing reasons? Despite it being the correct call on the pitch?

That Alex Morgan goal a week or two back was unbelievable.

I find it a bit like snooker, as in I start watching thinking “I’m not really interested in this “ but after 5 mins in I’m hooked . Watching Germany v Sweden atm as I was gonna be out at kick off so I taped it!  It’s definitely progressing a massive way, to me more watchable than blokes international football 

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

That Alex Morgan goal a week or two back was unbelievable.

Think our striker is really underrated as well. Not heard much of her before this tournament but she’s absolute class, not just for the women’s game but as a footballer in general.

I'm enjoying both World Cups - cricket and Women's football.  Taking my mind off Frankie!

The footie I have been surprised at.  It's showing VAR up to be a complete mess (which is good because it's a nonsense), some of the hype is irritating especially from BBC commentators (Lucy Bronze is the best footballer in the world, a nutmeg is outrageous skill) and some of the defending, goalkeeping and passing is ridiculously poor, although some of it has also been very good - Steph Hughton's recovery and clearance in the last match for example. But the games have generally been entertaining, you can't fault the effort and hard work as well as the skill and some of the goals have been very good.  

I've also really enjoyed the players' general approach - not much gesticulating, posing, diving, kicking the ball away etc - and the refereeing - not because they've always got it right, but then who does? - but because it has been old fashioned.  They've let hard tackles go, they've generally avoided booking people, they play on when someone falls over because a hand has landed on their shoulder or when players run into each other.  And the players usually (Cameroon excepted) get on with the game.  It has been refreshing.  Fifa will change it of course because they won't like it but then since when have Fifa ever wanted what what fans want

Yeah, I've watched a few women's world cups now. I still insist the goal should be a bit smaller but it's good stuff and the women are more mature than the men. I mean Cameroon embarrassed themselves but they aren't quite Barcelona level of theatrics yet. 

It's a cleaner game.

On 29/06/2019 at 21:23, Ruda Harliss said:

I wasn’t serious with my post, the matches have been excellent. Just nicer in the eye ?

As a teen growing up, i used to enjoy watching ladies tennis more than mens for probably the same reason.

The coverage has been so much better this year than ever before making it so much easier to get in to.

On a side note while reading various articles. I just realised the one season the womens FA Cup final was held at PPS and a poor second division sunderland side got totally dominated by Arsenal, the player of the match was a certain Lucy Bronze aged 17, in her first full season.

Enjoy it, as I did the previous one.

I spent several years as a coach for a women's team and it's a wonderful experience. The egos are entirely different to men and at the level I was doing it, you can see a visible improvement and when you a girl really get better and implement what you've been trying to teach them it's a wonderful thing - I guess you only get that type of thing from kids football on the men's side of things.

On 01/07/2019 at 09:01, Srg said:

Enjoy it, as I did the previous one.

I spent several years as a coach for a women's team and it's a wonderful experience. The egos are entirely different to men and at the level I was doing it, you can see a visible improvement and when you a girl really get better and implement what you've been trying to teach them it's a wonderful thing - I guess you only get that type of thing from kids football on the men's side of things.

Full of surprises you are. Pleasant and positive surprises.

Fair play for giving your time to something like that, have you got any coaching qualifications or was it just a case of you setting up some drills for them?

Always fancied a spot of coaching, would love to nail down the tough skill of getting your points across so they then transfer into tactics for a match.

By the way Burton are looking for a couple of volunteer coaches for their ladies team and I might be wrong but I can't see them getting 100's of applications. Just down the road, good club to work for. 

Archived