View of Bristol City

Bristol City

I hope you don't mind me posting this in the main section of your forum. I'm doing a study of how other Championship clubs view us to try to get a relatively unbiased opinion of our club, prior to the new season starting. I have a few questions to ask, if anyone will answer them then it's highly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

• Where do you think we will finish next season?
  • Do you view us as having any standout players?
  • What are your views on Lee Johnson?
  • If you have been to the Ashton Gate, how was your overall match day experience?
  • What do you think about our fan base? (Grounded/delusional, fickle/reasonable, old/young etc)

Thanks again for your time, and good luck for the season excluding playing us of course, hopefully we both have what it takes to push over the line this year.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bristol City said:

I hope you don't mind me posting this in the main section of your forum. I'm doing a study of how other Championship clubs view us to try to get a relatively unbiased opinion of our club, prior to the new season starting. I have a few questions to ask, if anyone will answer them then it's highly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

• If you have been to the Ashton Gate, how was your overall match day experience?
  • What do you think about our fan base? (Grounded/delusional, fickle/reasonable, old/young etc)

Thanks again for your time, and good luck for the season excluding playing us of course, hopefully we both have what it takes to push over the line this year.

Hi

Happy to oblige as a lifelong Derby fan born and living in Bristol!

Where do you think we will finish next season?

I think you might struggle a bit. I just get the feeling Johnson has had his best years and will leave.

Do you view us as having any standout players?

Yes, Brownhill and Djedhiou.

What are your views on Lee Johnson?

I get the impression he has a big ego. Seems it's his team when you're doing well and the players' fault when you're not.

If you have been to the Ashton Gate, how was your overall match day experience?

The away end is much better but the toilets and food outlets could be improved. North Street has some good bars.

What do you think about our fan base? (Grounded/delusional, fickle/reasonable, old/young etc)

Haha, well I have always said that the fans come magically out if the woodwork when you're winning. I have a few friends who couldn't name your team who are suddenly clamouring for tickets when you get a top club in the  cup.

I have good banter when you lose but my grandad was on the groundstaff for a while and I can't diss them too much!

Good luck with your study.

38 minutes ago, Bristol City said:

• Play Offs. Your promising summer additions should be enough to see you into the top 6. To go further, I reckon your chances of finishing in the top 2 are the same as finishing outside the top 6. Both possibilities.
  • I haven't really seen enough of you to judge. I've heard good things about Adam Webster though.
  • He's clearly a very promising manager who I'd take at Derby. I do wonder whether he has the level of composure to really see you through though. He seems to struggle to turn around losing streaks, reminding me of Steve McClaren somewhat.
  • Nice-looking ground. Plenty of room and a good area outside of the away end for half-time. The last time I went was an amazing day due to the result; the time before that was very messy and depressing (thanks to a 4-1 defeat). We love to go in the Myrtle Tree for a good few hours before the game, which is why it's such a shame that our game is in midweek next season.
  • Don't really know enough about your fans to be honest. Never seen anything that particularly winds me up but, then again, I dislike generalisations of fan bases because all clubs are pretty much the same.

1 hour ago, Bristol City said:

1) Top 6 - Good little squad your getting together 

2) Josh Brownhill

3) Done ok and I like the loyalty from both sides but I think it's nearly rode its course bit like Clough with us.

4) Not been , on my to-do list always seem to be on holiday 

5) Funny accents 

52 minutes ago, Bristol City said:

- I would expect you guys to be 8th with your current squad .  Wouldn't need a lot to make top six . Get a Marriott you should be there .  Depends how much you strengthen and others weaken.

- Brownhill is decent.  Patterson always seems lively - but is a nob

- Johnson comes across as a bit of a whinger.  Obviously decent enough manager at this level but you guys do seem to fall away from a decent position over the last couple of years .  Think this is a big year for him . Improvement brings pressure, if you don't make it to the playoffs this year, he will probably be moved on .  All clubs are the same 5 years ago you guys would have been delighted with where you are.  Now, with reason, you expect to make the playoffs.   I recall Derby under Jim Smith where we slipped outside Uefa cup places in the last couple games of the season- much disappointment.  What would we do for that 8th place now .

-I have been to Ashton gate twice .  Both times have been enjoyable bar the 1/2 mile run attributable to the below - 4 v 15 isn't much fun. Bristol is a good city, been a few times outside of the footy. Good enough to recommend my nephew go there rather than London or Manchester to do a journalism apprenticeship.

- Did have some trouble the first time in St Pauls . That must have been about 93.  Wrong place in a new city. Other than that found City fans more decent than many .  They generally seem to have a higher opinion of Derby fans than Forest fans-the ones I've meet don't think were quite as deluded,  so that's promising .

Where do you think we will finish next season? Champions League

Do you view us as having any standout players? Billy Wedlock, Gerry Gow, Paul Cheeseley, Brian Tinnion, Scoot Murray.

What are your views on Lee Johnson? Might do better than his Dad did

If you have been to the Ashton Gate, how was your overall match day experience? Nova Scotia, Dolmoan, leave 10 minutes early

What do you think about our fan base? (Grounded/delusional, fickle/reasonable, old/young etc)  Fickle as F..... get the rugby lot in there they have a much better range pf songs BRISTOL BRISTOL BRISTOL BRISTOL BRISTOL

1 hour ago, Bristol City said:

Where do you think we will finish next season?

Well....i correctly predicted 8th last season.....

image.thumb.jpeg.81545da44aa2e5ddf4ccdccb29e0527f.jpeg

...altho sheff utd and norwich surprised me. Brizzle are inconsistant. 9 consecutive wins followed by no wins in 6? In fact 17 points from the last 15 games should be a cause for concern which might temper the assumption of another season competing for the play offs.

Do you view us as having any standout players?

Bentley, szmodics and dasilva all look decent signings. I thought eliasson would have done a bit better than he has. Webster looked good at ipswich. Pack usually impresses. Overall- good without being great, but the addition of szmodic might allow paterson to go back to the wing, and weimann to back up front. Might just work. Losing 'Mad' Frankie Fielding in goal might help too. Alway play decent football without being dirty or time wasting.

What are your views on Lee Johnson?

From a distance we quite like him. Not least because he a pretty good loan signing for us when nigel clough was in charge. I think he's doing a reasonable job. He seems to speak quite well. But the up and own form is wierd. He's short without having short man syndrome. 7/10.

If you have been to......

i haven't. Last time i went to Bristol it was a traffic jam. Can't be @rsed with that again. Temple Meads looks a nice railway station but i've never got off the train ?

What do you think about our fan base?

All i know is that they hate bristol rovers and vice versa.i had assumed they are all erudite Guardian readers who enjoy grilled haloumi. Probably a decent bunch. 

2 hours ago, Bristol City said:

I think you'll finish around 7th or 8th again. Good, but just not quite good enough to get over the line into the playoffs.

Jay DaSilva always seemed like a good player, and a good signing. 

Bit of a whingey bloke, bit of a ******, but he's done a good job at Bristol.

I went this year, decent ground Ashton Gate, if a bit of a trek to get there. 

Bristol fans were a little bit pathetic towards us at the end of the season, having read the Bristol forum, it seemed as if the Bristol fans had a real issue with Villa and Derby and had a bit of chip on their shoulder about us. Obviously it's probably the loud minority, but a bit embarrassing.

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If you all pull in the right direction for the majority of the season, playoffs, easy as pie.  However realistically 6th to 8th

Have to agree with most already mentioned, my choice is Brownhill.

Marmite

Decent ground, acceptable facilities, bonus is you can have a good night out in the city afterwards, Casamia is impressive.

In general, the fans are pretty balanced, however, like all fans you have a few that are over expecting, just like we have.

What you think to your new badge? 

Personally, if you lost the circle with letters etc and year established, you could have a badge almost as cool as ours.... which won’t ever change in my lifetime... and we don’t need to say who we are.

Anyway, back to your questions - I hope you get relegated.

14 hours ago, Bristol City said:

• Where do you think we will finish next season? Compete for play offs with decent shout at making it
  • Do you view us as having any standout players? Da Silva is it? Not followed ever so closely. Glad Andi Weimann's hard work is appreciated although I noted he went from "wow what a striker" to "hard work on the wing is good for the team" over the season.
  • What are your views on Lee Johnson? Streaky, when you're good you're very good, when you go on losing runs they seem to be big ones
  • If you have been to the Ashton Gate, how was your overall match day experience? -had a nice early summer evening towards the end of the 15/16 season so the building work hadn't finished, but the cricket club before hand was really good, match had decent atmosphere (a swinging both ways game where we won 3-2) generally had a positive time. My old work was on Aztec west and i lived in chepstow and I've generally got a decent liking for Bristol as a place.
  • What do you think about our fan base? (Grounded/delusional, fickle/reasonable, old/young etc) Mostly decent fans prone to the extremisms of emotion when doing well/bad. Slightly odd mentality of being the dominant team over rovers but not a huge club in the grand scheme of things. 

21 hours ago, Bristol City said:

My best mate is a Bristol City fan so I've always had a bit of a soft spot for them, especially as I lived in Bristol for a few years. Saying that...

• I think you'll finish either 6th or just outside the play-offs. You've improved every season under Johnson, so surely you have to finish in the top six next season to keep progressing?
  • Last season I didn't really, unlike in other season. Before that you've had the likes of Maynard, Freeman, Abraham, Flint, Kodjia, Reid. The only player that really worried me in your side last season was Brownhill. In saying that, I think you've arguably got the best centre-half partnership in the league if you manage to get Kalas over the line. Webster looks quality.
  • Lee Johnson strikes me as a bit of a David Brent to be honest. The "Premier League team in waiting" thing was a bit cringey. I really like that he went out to Leipzig to learn about them and how they play to bring stuff into his side, though (like the 4-2-2-2). That shows a clever young manager who is keen to evolve.
  • Ashton Gate is a lovely ground.
  • Your fan base are largely nice in part but you seem to have this odd obsession with us (especially our finances). I don't understand why you are so transfixed about FFP. Perhaps if you guys spent all the time you do moaning about other team's finances on pressuring your own owner to put his hand in his pocket and back your manager, then you might have been promoted already.

19 hours ago, REDCAR said:

Personally, if you lost the circle with letters etc and year established, you could have a badge almost as cool as ours.... which won’t ever change in my lifetime... and we don’t need to say who we are.

They could have at least changed the colour or something.

PxDbcIqS_400x400.jpg.ba4c0364b94ffac913024195f8eb8463.jpgBCFC_MrB_PR_1-003.jpg.a09403d0faf15b55d698887c02b2528e.jpg

On 29/06/2019 at 13:23, REDCAR said:

I think a bit more detail would be better but it is what it is. Something like Man City's badge.

image.thumb.png.5873f5b213ceb10e61bcb785cd17be33.png

Ours is just too simple.

image.png.c6dfe9c781c4ba19819245b71489052d.png

13 minutes ago, Bristol City said:

I think a bit more detail would be better but it is what it is. Something like Man City's badge.

Ours is just too simple.

I had a go at adding more detail for you. The club are free to use this if they wish.

bristol-city-badge.png

Archived