Management of Marriott

Andrew3000

Hate to even read the DET let alone draw attention to one of its threadbare 'article's yet this subplot has baffled many. Its just his former owners view and I'd wondered when he'd pipe up about it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwisl6q40YvjAhUE_RQKHV_8BX0QzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.derbytelegraph.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Ffootball-news%2Ffrank-lampards-handling-jack-marriott-3023459&psig=AOvVaw1Sjr2p_ytz3FCsZBTJ8LdU&ust=1561792729980615

Got to say I felt similarly about this.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try to ignore Darragh MacAnthony as he’s a bit of an attention-seeker, but can’t argue with this line:

” MacAnthony labelled the decision not to start Marriott at Wembley as a "rookie" mistake and also said "he will fly under a new manager". “

14 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Try to ignore Darragh MacAnthony as he’s a bit of an attention-seeker, but can’t argue with this line:

” MacAnthony labelled the decision not to start Marriott at Wembley as a "rookie" mistake and also said "he will fly under a new manager". “

I guess that rules out Bergkamp then

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

Can't wait until people stop pretending like starting Marriott would have won us that game.

We were noticeably more threatening with Waghorn and Marriott on the pitch. Maybe we wouldn't have won, but we had no chance without them - we were completely toothless until we subbed them on.

3 minutes ago, GenBr said:

We were noticeably more threatening with Waghorn and Marriott on the pitch. Maybe we wouldn't have won, but we had no chance without them - we were completely toothless until we subbed them on.

Which would always happen. Villa were 2-0 up and completely willing to defend and counter. You couldn't start the game like that, we'd have got slaughtered.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Which would always happen. Villa were 2-0 up and completely willing to defend and counter. You couldn't start the game like that, we'd have got slaughtered.

I agree it was always going to happen that we would be more of a threat with a striker on the pitch. To suggest that we should definitely have started the game without a striker is completely ludicrous. There is no point even turning up if you aren't even going to attempt to win. Playing for a 0-0 draw over 90 minutes was never going to work - we found the exact same goddamn thing with Rowett in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

I agree it was always going to happen that we would be more of a threat with a striker on the pitch. To suggest that we should definitely have started the game without a striker is completely ludicrous. There is no point even turning up if you aren't even going to attempt to win. Playing for a 0-0 draw over 90 minutes was never going to work - we found the exact same goddamn thing with Rowett in the playoffs. 

I don't think we did set up to play for a 0-0 draw, to be honest. And I didn't say we should definitely have started the game without a striker - Bennett is debatable anyway.

I'm just saying that it was a judgment call, and he went with the player he trusted on the merits of his performance away at Leeds from the start. You can't crucify a manager for doing that, nor can you state that Marriott would have been all that either - he had been largely poor since the turn of the year.

If Lampard deserves criticism, it's for the inability to muster results without Mason Mount for 2 months.

26 minutes ago, Srg said:

Frank clearly shared you view. We will never know, though I found it surprising that he wasn't prepared to have a go from the off. Didn't think Villa were that good even when we did allow them to have the ball for the first 60 mins.

Anyhow, history now. As is Frank.

Let's see if the new boss can get more out of Marriott. 

Sick of hearing about whether Marriott should or shouldn't have started. Lets look at it like this. Marriott started twice against Villa in the league. We lost...sorry..got battered twice. Now if Lampard had a game plan to not be so open then that's called management and he did what he thought was the best way to play Villa. Just think...if Bogle had attacked the cross and not been flat footed...If Roos had claimed a routine ball...then Marriott coming on against a tiring Villa and getting the goal...then it would have been genius. Fine margins. 

If you believe all the media out there then Darragh MacAnthony does seem to have a lot to say about all things Derby.

If they are true then I get the obvious link having sold Marriott to us and we probably only pick up on the Derby quotes.

I wonder if he bangs on about other clubs too?

He does appear to be full of his own self importance 

Archived