Kellan Gordon - Signed for Mansfield Town

JfR

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don’t rate the lad hugely but it’s a little early in his career to be writing him off imo. If we don’t think he’s ready yet, a loan to league one to test him could be a good idea rather than ditching him. Always wary of getting rid of players when they could yet develop into something. That said, Kilmarnock would be a good move for the lad and if they want him (understandable if they’re losing their right back) you couldn’t begrudge him the move. He’ll just have to impress them in the trial now, good luck to the lad and hope he makes a decent career for himself. 

Didnt realise he was out of contract so it’s no surprise he’s being offered trials if we’re not gonna renew his deal. Shame as he was highly rated at one point. Never really good enough defensively mind from what I’ve seen.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Don’t rate the lad hugely but it’s a little early in his career to be writing him off imo. If we don’t think he’s ready yet, a loan to league one to test him could be a good idea rather than ditching him. Always wary of getting rid of players when they could yet develop into something. That said, Kilmarnock would be a good move for the lad and if they want him (understandable if they’re losing their right back) you couldn’t begrudge him the move. He’ll just have to impress them in the trial now, good luck to the lad and hope he makes a decent career for himself. 

Didnt realise he was out of contract so it’s no surprise he’s being offered trials if we’re not gonna renew his deal. Shame as he was highly rated at one point. Never really good enough defensively mind from what I’ve seen.

Rams to Killie....sideways move ?

That article doesn't seem to have the correct facts. It says his entire 'career' was spent with us, but he was previously at Stoke until he was 16/17. Our retained list also has him as under contract for another year.

He's one of the older lads (21) in the U23s and was one of the ones I expected to be moved on. Karic, Elsnik and Eyoma were the first three ticked off my list. As much as I (among others) rated Elsnik, he's at an age where he needs to play football, and he didn't want another loan. Decisions on Shonibare, Wassall, Babos, Barnes, Ravas and MacDonald need to be made - first team, loaned out, or sold. 

I feel Gordon's lack of defensive awareness will mean he won't make it as a football league quality full back. Even at U23 level, he was targetted game after game. At both Swindon and Lincoln I felt he played best when on the wings (I only really saw the highlights). In 26 league games for Swindon, he scored 3 and assisted 1 - a goal contribution every 280 mins (equivalent to 15 over a full season). That record improved at Lincoln with 2 goals in 6 games (just 100 mins) - he'd be worth over £10m if he kept that mins per goal record up over an entire season! His versatility will probably help when finding a new club after playing in a variety of positions for us and out on loan - RB, CM, RW, LW, CF.

• 4 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Srg said:

Been on the cards for a bit, don't think we were ever going to be keeping him given his age. Good luck to him.

Need loans for the other older U23s now. Barnes, Ravas, MacDonald, Wassall, Babos, and Shonibare. Babos the least likely to go out due to the number of CMs we have in that age group

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Need loans for the other older U23s now. Barnes, Ravas, MacDonald, Wassall, Babos, and Shonibare. Babos the least likely to go out due to the number of CMs we have in that age group

Can only see MacDonald stepping up into the first team squad eventually out of that lot as things stand.

17 minutes ago, Srg said:

Can only see MacDonald stepping up into the first team squad eventually out of that lot as things stand.

Didn't Ravas get a bit of game time last night? My only opinion on him is he looks bloody massive - Maybe not as tall as Roos but still pretty tall - And I like that in a keeper when I have no other indication of how good he may or may not be

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

Didn't Ravas get a bit of game time last night? My only opinion on him is he looks bloody massive - Maybe not as tall as Roos but still pretty tall - And I like that in a keeper when I have no other indication of how good he may or may not be

He did, but I think that was more as a view of being potentially third choice this season behind Roos and Mitchell with Carson to leave. Can't see him ever making a real impact - hopefully I'm wrong, of course. That said, Mitchell initially impressed a few years ago but hasn't really improved either.

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

He did, but I think that was more as a view of being potentially third choice this season behind Roos and Mitchell with Carson to leave. Can't see him ever making a real impact - hopefully I'm wrong, of course. That said, Mitchell initially impressed a few years ago but hasn't really improved either.

Fair enough - As I say, I've seen barely anything of him other than warmups

I was really hoping Given would get the best out of Mitchell - His big problem is lack of height versus other keepers and if you're gonna learn off anyone about being a small keeper then Given is a pretty decent shout

And it may be an unpopular viewpoint after the playoff final but I like Roos - He's big and he's nuts which I like in a keeper - They have to have a slight screw loose to throw themselves into danger so often - And I like the overly theatrical way he reacts to shots obviously going wide - He's like the kid on the park who always went in goal cos he loves throwing himself around on the floor yelling "oooooooohhhhhhh close" every time someone hits a shot 5 miles wide

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

Fair enough - As I say, I've seen barely anything of him other than warmups

I was really hoping Given would get the best out of Mitchell - His big problem is lack of height versus other keepers and if you're gonna learn off anyone about being a small keeper then Given is a pretty decent shout

And it may be an unpopular viewpoint after the playoff final but I like Roos - He's big and he's nuts which I like in a keeper - They have to have a slight screw loose to throw themselves into danger so often - And I like the overly theatrical way he reacts to shots obviously going wide - He's like the kid on the park who always went in goal cos he loves throwing himself around on the floor yelling "oooooooohhhhhhh close" every time someone hits a shot 5 miles wide

Roos is not a keeper who ‘throws himself into danger’.

He’s a ‘not the face!’ keeper who doesn’t relish physical contact. That was the element of the Wembley mistake which was most disappointing.

He will be a liability this year and we need someone better. 

Archived