Mel Morris on melSport with Jim White

Heisenberg

Just now, ilkleyram said:

But that's my point. You are lumping him in with all the others when you say that in 40 years you have never experienced anyone with the inability to manage and the (ability) to divide fans.

I've been watching only a little longer than you and there's been many worse and more divisive managers than DW over that time 

Happy to disagree on that, the others I would class this inability to manage on other things rather than their man management, I didn’t say he was the worse manager we had had, just that he managed to create a divide in his first few games, something I had not seen before.

His caretaker stint was not a complete disaster, far from it, but ultimately I believe this is one of the reasons why he wouldn’t be a manager to continue the rebuilding and take us to the next level ? 

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Well we’ve had 7 managerial changes in 6 years (will be 8 if Frank leaves) so not far behind. Funnily enough since MM came in. 

I do love how he comes across though. I’m sure there are many fans out there listening envious of our chairman. 

Agree with this - he never comes across as anything other than level-headed and with his heart in the right place

And he candidly admitted he had plenty of regrets in his time at the club. Which is good because, with the benefit of hindsight, he has overseen some horrendous decisions  -that all probably seemed like the right thing to do at the time, but now look like fairly major errors in judgement

26 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Nah they were the only club in the entire football league to get injuries that's why they weren't promoted, get with the program.

Ah yes I forgot about the entire universe conspiracy against Leeds united. Obviously the only reason they’ve not made it up yet is because nature itself hates them as well as every person outside of Leeds.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Except, I don't think Redknapp was just backroom staff, I don't think he would come in just to be that, and since he's never been known as a coach, implies to me he was making most of the managerial decisions. So no, you're comparing two different things here. You're the one looking daft.

you "don't think"? What evidence have you got?

I'm using the official explanations, given by Morris, Rush, Wassall and Redknapp, that Redknapp was an advisor, not a decision-maker or coach, just a senior assistant manager.

I'll wait for you to prove me wrong.

I really enjoyed the bits of the Mel Morris interview that I heard between phone calls and internet dip at work.

I particularly like the way he mixed up the really serious stuff with some light-hearted one-liners. My favourite was when the news broke that Man United were about to sign Wan-Bissaka for £50 million just as he was talking about FFP and transfer fees and he said something like "he's worth more than a Championship Football Club". 

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I would argue it's a sign of self-awareness and lack of delusion if you realise you need the right staff to help you. I would argue that had Nigel Clough sought a better backroom staff, he might have got us promoted to the PL.

I seem to recall the great Jim Smith struggling for years, scratting around trying to replace McClaren with the likes of Crosby, Round, Smith? and eventually settling on Todd before being sacked. It's an important position and Wassall had nobody until Redknapp to support him.

Every manager needs an assistant. Even the "greats". Do you dismiss any good Brian Clough did because he needed Peter Taylor? 

You both look daft with such ignorant comments.

Why are they daft ? He didn’t start with HR in the first instance, he was brought in when it was realised he was failing in certain areas.

Harry has always been a manager throughout his career, someone that was and remains a good friend of MM, and was brought in when it looked like the season could go pear shaped, DW of course had this idea, however even then let’s not forget once again we failed, getting battered in the home leg, it’s not as though we are arguing here that was the reason he was successful, because we weren’t, far from it.

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

Like it or not, I think that MM would consider that Darren Moore ticks all of these boxes.

I predict Moore with Jonno as Assistant.

Just imagine the scenes in Jason Roberts' house if this were to happen. Throw Sol Campbell in as head coach and he would literally blow his roof off.

2 hours ago, Edtheram said:

Pleaseeee not Wassell. If weve learnt anything surely we know hes not the man.

Have we? Thought he got us to the play offs same as Mac and Lampard?

1 hour ago, ScamRam said:

But the Pro Licence is more geared to being a Manager, the C B and A Licences teach you to coach

I thought that being a poster on DCFCFans was the only true qualification to manage.

12 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

you "don't think"? What evidence have you got?

I'm using the official explanations, given by Morris, Rush, Wassall and Redknapp, that Redknapp was an advisor, not a decision-maker or coach, just a senior assistant manager.

I'll wait for you to prove me wrong.

Because official explanations are always done without an agenda, right? 

It's interesting how much the results picked up after we got just an advisor, wouldn't you say? 

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Have we? Thought he got us to the play offs same as Mac and Lampard?

Actually, despite having been top at Christmas Clement got us to 5th place. He was sacked after 30 games. Wassall maintained the position for 16 games (with & without Harry)

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Because official explanations are always done without an agenda, right? 

It's interesting how much the results picked up after we got just an advisor, wouldn't you say? 

yes, the improvement was vindication for Wassall bringing in help. If it was anything more, as you're suggesting, why wasn't Wassall relegated back to the academy and Redknapp given the title of interim gaffer?

2 hours ago, muttley72 said:

It’s been great to hear Mel this morning, I have so much respect for him, he’s not tried to dodge too much, he talks a hell of a lot of sense. Not everyone will agree, but I don’t think we could have a much better custodian of our club. It feels like a safe pair of hands, and whoever comes next as manager, whether it works out or not, I’m confident they will have been appointed with Mel believing he’s doing the best he can for Derby County. 

I’ve always been critical of Mel, but never once did I think he wasn’t doing what he thought was right.

From when he first got here till now, he’s improved no end.

2 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Not as over as it would be if he stayed here and we sack him in December when we're near the bottom of the league. And without Mount & Wilson, Frank must be thinking about that scenario.

It's a good point. It's said Chelsea were "statistically 12th" whatever that means when you took Hazard out of their team last season. They have no possibility to replace him and they have issues so I think Frank would likely finish bottom half ('arry piled pressure on his nephew saying 3rd).

Derby have the potential to replace Mount and Wilson. I suspect Frank will believe that after what he learnt last season he can get us up this season.

But it's all about judgement calls and a bit of a gamble and a lot of luck. I think Mac would have got us up had Thorne not been injured preseason and Clement and the club would have been far better off had Hughes and Bryson not had opening-game injuries leading to Butterfield and Johnson coming in.

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

Almost as if he’s not an old man from Yorkshire. 

Unless he in fact is, in which case his love of Little Mix is frankly disturbing. 

Don’t worry he thought it was that Irish folk band made up of 4 dwarfs ,,, little micks ,,,, easy mistake

3 hours ago, Whitefield said:

He's done OK with the academy. I suggest there is a correlation as to why a few have been blooded whilst Jody Morris is here.

I don't think he would get respect from the players (Shackell at Rotherham for example) - it is completely different from U23's football to first team football. I agree we need an understated appointment though - for me Hughton is understated but proven. 

Hes done Ok...?? So disrespectful to a guy, who, I would imagine puts hours and hours into the club. Plus he is humble, no fuss after being manager and went back to the academy.

Since Wassall has been here the academy has gone from strength to strength. Are we not Cat A status now?? I don't think jody Morris had anything to do with that lol

Oh and the Shackell comment...  didnt that also happen to Sarri to recently? He is not doing too bad. 

Archived