Mel Morris on melSport with Jim White

Heisenberg

3 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Over a longer period then yes I’d agree, Pearson maybe being the one exception. However DW managed to do that in such a short amount of time, and I was being asked why I don’t think he would make a good manager, I was just referring to that as something that could be used to judge a persons ability to man manage.

You could equally argue that to have longer gives a manager more opportunity to get things right, to develop a style and relationships with players.

I went to the Rotherham game, like many others did, and we were absolutely cruising the match.  There were good reasons why he made the changes and he, not unreasonably, thought that such was our dominance against a side that was almost relegated that we would go on to win.  It was partly Shackell's fault (and the rest of the defence) that we didn't.

If Mel decides he gets the job then fine; if he doesn't then that's fine too but to lump him in with some of the numpties we have had managing the club over the last 40 years is unfair on the basis of a couple of results

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Disagree, says a lot about our fans after that Rotherham game..... because that’s all it is about really, 1 football game where we exploded. Every manager has had some shockers. I think it’s just fans expectations as always.

Think Mel alluded to this in his interview for me. 

If we were 3-0 up in the 80th minute.. I would expect even A team of 11 goal keepers to hold on to the result, what happened that day was solely down to the players and not the manager. 

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Almost as though they were cheating and that’s partly why they were doing so well.... but leeds would never cheat? Surely not? Unheard of?

Nah they were the only club in the entire football league to get injuries that's why they weren't promoted, get with the program.

33 minutes ago, Andicis said:

My concerns on Wassall is, why did he need Redknapp? 

Why did Frank need three quality loan signings handpicked to prop up the squad last year?

In football, you take all the help you can get...

When Wassall was in charge, our squad was allegedly not the easiest to manage and allegedly had some big egos in the dressing room.

Maybe Wassall needed a more experienced head to quieten the disquiet? No one would have batted an eyelid if Frank had hired an experienced number 2 rather than Jody Morris.

Three years on, Wassall is older, stronger and wiser and feeling the benefit of overseeing success at the Academy. The players will respect him for that.

But more crucially the make up of our squad has changed with more younger players and more players from the Academy, so there are less likely to be players who will kick the hornet’s nest, and if there are any, they can be shipped out.

2 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

You could equally argue that to have longer gives a manager more opportunity to get things right, to develop a style and relationships with players.

I went to the Rotherham game, like many others did, and we were absolutely cruising the match.  There were good reasons why he made the changes and he, not unreasonably, thought that such was our dominance against a side that was almost relegated that we would go on to win.  It was partly Shackell's fault (and the rest of the defence) that we didn't.

If Mel decides he gets the job then fine; if he doesn't then that's fine too but to lump him in with some of the numpties we have had managing the club over the last 40 years is unfair on the basis of a couple of results

I’m not lumping him in with anyone, one of the reasons as I stated I believe he isn’t the right man was his man management, the result and performance aside I thought what followed was someone who couldn’t manage big egos, I didn’t even say he was in the wrong just that was an example of why I think he would fail.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Bringing on two out of form players to get some minutes less than 10 minutes before the end of a game that you're winning 3-0  (against a weaker team) is not odd. It happens all the time.
99.9% of the time it's considered good management, because the team doesn't somehow throw away the win. He got unlucky.

The Hull first leg was a shitshow though, I agree - but its the only moment of his brief tenure I consider a mistake. He did very well to right a ship that was flailing before he came in.

Hull first leg was dreadful but the players seemed so upset psychologically from the injury to George Thorne the previous weekend for that one game, and the Rotherham game was against Warnock ! It happens and 3-0 against a relegation bottom 3 team should mean you can take the keeper off and it shouldn’t matter and like someone posted Olson can’t win back post headers. 

9 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Some critics believed that Davies was a victim of his own success after overachieving in his first season at Pride Park. <snip>

He is available I understand 

A situation that is unlikely to change

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Why did Frank need three quality loan signings handpicked to prop up the squad last year?

In football, you take all the help you can get...

When Wassall was in charge, our squad was allegedly not the easiest to manage and allegedly had some big egos in the dressing room.

Maybe Wassall needed a more experienced head to quieten the disquiet? No one would have batted an eyelid if Frank had hired an experienced number 2 rather than Jody Morris.

Three years on, Wassall is older, stronger and wiser and feeling the benefit of overseeing success at the Academy. The players will respect him for that.

But more crucially the make up of our squad has changed with more younger players and more players from the Academy, so there are less likely to be players who will kick the hornet’s nest, and if there are any, they can be shipped out.

It's a bit different manager's making signings to improve the squad, and someone being put in to guide you because you're doing poorly and out of your depth, I don't know how you can compare the two. 

Isn't a huge part of being a manager, dealing with egos? Isn't that a skill every good manager has? 

Because if Frank had chosen a different number 2, that would have been his choice at the beginning, not like Wassall who took the job, struggled, and got someone put in for him because he was taking our season down the toilet.

Thank you to those who posted what was said ( I am away overseas currently) 

what does amaze me is that some posters are genuinely surprised it seems that we have a good genuine man in control of our much loved football club- we are lucky to have him.

Think mels conducting himself very well in this whole situation, and exactly how things should be done professionally and honourably in football... perhaps Chelsea could take a few pointers. We’re expecting frank to leave so we need to come up with some ideas if replacements, absolutely the right thing to do. But until there’s a vacancy, approaching managers about the role is premature and unfair on the clubs they currently manage. So we’re absolutely right to hold back on that until frank does officially leave the club, then interviews etc can take place. Shows the club in a respectful and positive light. Good to see there’s interest in the role from some decent names too, hopefully some will be suitable for the role. Official that that Scottish paper was talking out their arse with the gerrard story too, as we expected.

4 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I’m not lumping him in with anyone, one of the reasons as I stated I believe he isn’t the right man was his man management, the result and performance aside I thought what followed was someone who couldn’t manage big egos, I didn’t even say he was in the wrong just that was an example of why I think he would fail.

But that's my point. You are lumping him in with all the others when you say that in 40 years you have never experienced anyone with the inability to manage and the (ability) to divide fans.

I've been watching only a little longer than you and there's been many worse and more divisive managers than DW over that time 

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

Maybe you can, was that down the influence of having to bring someone in ? As you say who knows, but given we had to in the first place showed he wasn’t manger material, how often do you see a manager employed and then having to bring in someone to work with them so soon after.

51 minutes ago, Andicis said:

My concerns on Wassall is, why did he need Redknapp? 

I would argue it's a sign of self-awareness and lack of delusion if you realise you need the right staff to help you. I would argue that had Nigel Clough sought a better backroom staff, he might have got us promoted to the PL.

I seem to recall the great Jim Smith struggling for years, scratting around trying to replace McClaren with the likes of Crosby, Round, Smith? and eventually settling on Todd before being sacked. It's an important position and Wassall had nobody until Redknapp to support him.

Every manager needs an assistant. Even the "greats". Do you dismiss any good Brian Clough did because he needed Peter Taylor? 

You both look daft with such ignorant comments.

1 hour ago, ScamRam said:

But the Pro Licence is more geared to being a Manager, the C B and A Licences teach you to coach

What do Gary Megson, Aidy Boothroyd, Phil Brown, Ian Dowie, Steve Cotterill, Stuart Pearce, Dean Saunders and Bryan Robson all have in common? They also have the full FA Pro Licence so not sure how effective the course is in becoming a good manager.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. 10 managers in 9 seasons. The power is all in Frank’s hands...he can choose when he goes to Chelsea...

Well we’ve had 7 managerial changes in 6 years (will be 8 if Frank leaves) so not far behind. Funnily enough since MM came in. 

I do love how he comes across though. I’m sure there are many fans out there listening envious of our chairman. 

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I would argue it's a sign of self-awareness and lack of delusion if you realise you need the right staff to help you. I would argue that had Nigel Clough sought a better backroom staff, he might have got us promoted to the PL.

I seem to recall the great Jim Smith struggling for years, scratting around trying to replace McClaren with the likes of Crosby, Round, Smith? and eventually settling on Todd before being sacked. It's an important position and Wassall had nobody until Redknapp to support him.

Every manager needs an assistant. Even the "greats". Do you dismiss any good Brian Clough did because he needed Peter Taylor? 

You both look daft with such ignorant comments.

Except, I don't think Redknapp was just backroom staff, I don't think he would come in just to be that, and since he's never been known as a coach, implies to me he was making most of the managerial decisions. So no, you're comparing two different things here. You're the one looking daft.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

What do Gary Megson, Aidy Boothroyd, Phil Brown, Ian Dowie, Steve Cotterill, Stuart Pearce, Dean Saunders and Bryan Robson all have in common? They also have the full FA Pro Licence so not sure how effective the course is in becoming a good manager.

Promotion, Promotion, Promotion, Promotion, Promotion, er.... got Forests hopes up with 8/8 in 2014/15?, Promotion and Promotion?

Archived