Mel Morris on melSport with Jim White

Heisenberg

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Or maybe you haven’t got the right attributes to judge who will make a good manager? 

Darren Wassall has been director of the whole academy for some time now, so less of a coach and more of a 'manager'.

The performance of the academy in this time has been nothing short of brilliant, especially given that we are competing with PL club academies with far more money than us.

Watching the academy teams is an absolute pleasure in terms of style of football too. 

We are openly stating that we want to be making more use of those academy players in future seasons.

All good reasons for at least considering Wassall for the job.

If we sign some unknown name from Germany or somewhere else abroad some fans will love it, but people like Wassall or Moore ( whose team actually finished above us last season, despite losing to us twice) are considered boring.

I am not particularly a champion for Wassall but I do dislike it when people are so negative about him. 

Very well put and I think he should be considered even if he doesn’t get it, which is probably a good thing considering how some our reactionary fans would wet the bed upon his appointment.

probably best for all parties that he keeps doing he great work he has been doing with he academy.

22 minutes ago, Anon said:

Imagine a rookie manager playing decent football and then losing out in the play offs due to tactical naivety. It's funny how two people can achieve pretty much exactly the same thing and be viewed so differently by some people.

A bit of over exuberant fist pumping after beating Brentford = "So embarrassing! Cringeworthy"

A win against relegation threatened Rotherham = "Start the bounce Frank!"

Perfectly put ??

9 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Maybe you can, was that down the influence of having to bring someone in ? As you say who knows, but given we had to in the first place showed he wasn’t manger material, how often do you see a manager employed and then having to bring in someone to work with them so soon after.

How often do you see a manager who needs a strong support staff to do well? I see that with 92 Football League clubs every Saturday for 40 weeks of the year.

26 minutes ago, nottingram said:

If we’d had a player sent off would you expect to see a game out from 3-0 up with ten to play? If the answer to that is yes then you can’t blame the substitutions and if the answer is no you are the biggest pessimist in the world.

The home leg of the play offs was a poor performance, you’re right. There was a bit of tactical naivety there in chasing the game on the day. That’s something I might expect from a relatively inexperienced head coach, which he was.

Thorne off and Blackman on? I get the point about even with 10 men you would expect to see that out but that wasn't the situation. At 3-0 up Wassall's tactics appeared to be to go for more goals. I can get that perhaps he wanted to try and get Blackman a goal but it was naive.

41 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Results pre- and post- Redknapp were largely similar. Maybe we were able to convert losses into draws slightly better after Redknapp came in. However there is absolutely no way you can reasonably conclude anything positive or negative about the effect Redknapp had. Maybe improved results were down to Wassall learning on the job?

What are you on about? We went from 3 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses pre-Redknapp (which included the delightful MK Dons and Rotherham games), to 5 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses (the draws being against promotion contenders Sheff Weds + Brighton, along with Ipswich being a loss in that dead rubber game). That's a demonstrable improvement and while Wassall did improve as time went on, it seems a little silly to dismiss any impact from Redknapp when we were significantly better once he joined.

I wouldn't be objected to Wassall coming back provided he had an experienced backroom staff with him. Though it would scream a lack of ambition for the coming season and it would also take him away from his role at the academy where he's been stellar.

5 minutes ago, nottingram said:

How often do you see a manager who needs a strong support staff to do well? I see that with 92 Football League clubs every Saturday for 40 weeks of the year.

Fair point, and I agree he probably would make a good appointment as a support staff.

17 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Based upon his previous stint, his inability to manage a team and divide fans to a level I have never experienced in my 40 years watching the rams. The fact the chairman brought in a manager to oversee his work, his selection of GT in the Ipswich game, his post and pre match interviews which never came across as anything but tedious boring and uninspiring, and his inability to manage a group of individuals which was embarrassing at the end of the Rotherham game, not the result as these things can happened but what followed after.  

im sure you counter against all of these, however as I said my opinion he isn’t the right material to take us forward, I think we need a leader, someone who will inspire the fans, someone who can manage personalities, for me he doesn’t fit the criteria.

I would suggest that maybe Colin Addison, John Newman, Colin Todd, John Gregory, Phil Brown, Terry Westley, Jewell, Clement, Pearson (and that list doesn't include several caretaker mangers over the last 40 years nor Tommy Docherty who left in 1979) would, or perhaps should, challenge your assertion that you've never experienced a manager unable to manage a team but able to divide fans as much as Darren Wassall.

And if you limited the list to those managers able to divide fans only, then it becomes much longer.

15 minutes ago, angieram said:

Or maybe you haven’t got the right attributes to judge who will make a good manager? 

Darren Wassall has been director of the whole academy for some time now, so less of a coach and more of a 'manager'.

The performance of the academy in this time has been nothing short of brilliant, especially given that we are competing with PL club academies with far more money than us.

Watching the academy teams is an absolute pleasure in terms of style of football too. 

We are openly stating that we want to be making more use of those academy players in future seasons.

All good reasons for at least considering Wassall for the job.

If we sign some unknown name from Germany or somewhere else abroad some fans will love it, but people like Wassall or Moore ( whose team actually finished above us last season, despite losing to us twice) are considered boring.

I am not particularly a champion for Wassall but I do dislike it when people are so negative about him. 

@Jourdan I think we were writing our posts at the same time. I agree! 

Thanks for your comments, as it a forum though I’ll quite happily continue to give my opinion, if you wish to judge them as negative because it’s doesn't match you views then I have no problem.

If you don’t think I have the right attributes to judge what makes a good manager or not, once again no arguments from me, our current chairman is a good example of how hard that job is, if you want me to give an opinion on the academy, then once again happy to commend his work, however my view still stands that I don’t believe he will ever be a successful first team manager.

1 hour ago, RedSox said:

This guy is a supreme diplomat, in difficult circumstances.  Not sure I could maintain his level of composure and dignity - and avoid taking a bit more of an explicit dig at certain people / clubs.  Top job, Mel!  We should all be glad to have him as our Chairman.

There was a great section where Jordan challenged him on his concerns over parachute payments. I had always wondered if Mel was a smart businessman or just someone who got lucky on a few investments. The way he handled that exchange, strongly and respectfully getting to his position, convinced me he's not just been lucky. I didn't get to listen to it all but I thought he came across very well indeed, but I did get the clear feeling he is frustrated with the game of football at this level and his threat to 'sell if we don't get promoted' was anything but a hasty throwaway line.

23 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

This is so true.

Frank is being held to a completely different standard to our previous managers.

As I mentioned before, Frank is deserting the club post-Wembley and we are left to piece things back together less than a week before pre-season and the way some of our fans have reacted suggests they want to line the streets and give him a guard of honour for ‘what he did for the club’.

To be honest, I think appointing Wassall would be quite sensible and logical in the circumstances. We are five and a half weeks from kick off. Pre season starts on Monday. We need someone to come in and hit the ground running, rather than someone new to the club who could take weeks or months to bed in.

Wassall is a club man, he knows the club inside out, he knows which Academy players are ready to step up, he knows Mel and what makes him tick and what he expects so the style of play will be easier to replicate, he knows the first team squad and will have a good relationship with the players, and crucially he won’t kick up a fuss if funds are tight and he has work with the squad he inherits.

The truth is that no-one wants Wassall because he is not a ‘sexy’ appointment. If his name was Wassallinho, we’d be all over it.

Bang on...

3 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I would suggest that maybe Colin Addison, John Newman, Colin Todd, John Gregory, Phil Brown, Terry Westley, Jewell, Clement, Pearson (and that list doesn't include several caretaker mangers over the last 40 years nor Tommy Docherty who left in 1979) would, or perhaps should, challenge your assertion that you've never experienced a manager unable to manage a team but able to divide fans as much as Darren Wassall.

And if you limited the list to those managers able to divide fans only, then it becomes much longer.

Over a longer period then yes I’d agree, Pearson maybe being the one exception. However DW managed to do that in such a short amount of time, and I was being asked why I don’t think he would make a good manager, I was just referring to that as something that could be used to judge a persons ability to man manage.

Good to get clarification on this after earlier:

"Should Frank move then we've got to start getting ready. What we will not do is begin conversations with probably anyone other than out of work candidates, alright? Because I'm not going to do the same situation there where we approach another club. Because we can't. We have a manager at the moment."

32 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Frank is deserting the club post-Wembley 

That line made me think of another:  Davies left Pride Park by mutual consent on 26 November 2007 with the club bottom of the league. Totally inept at the higher level. Some critics believed that Davies was a victim of his own success after overachieving in his first season at Pride Park. He actually made his resignation speech while supporters were still celebrating promotion at Wembley.

He is available I understand 

Archived