Mel Morris on melSport with Jim White

Heisenberg

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

On Chelsea: "Let's face it, that job comes around pretty frequently"

A not too subtle message to his manager that if he stays with us for a couple of years he can still go to Chelsea later.

Absolutely. 10 managers in 9 seasons. The power is all in Frank’s hands...he can choose when he goes to Chelsea...

A good listen that.

Always liked Mel, based on this showing I will continue to like him. I'm confident he's going to everything in his power to have a manager in place next season who doesn't want to hit the reset button, so my fears are put to bed.

Glad I can turn it off though. I almost choked on my sandwich when the advert for "talksportsingles.com" came on.

34 minutes ago, ScamRam said:

Erm, he has just acheived his Uefa Pro Licence, the top qualification for his profession, something that I am sure Frank hasnt acheived yet. Puts Wassall in the top 200 coaches in the country. 

Great, let him carry on being in the top 200 and let’s others do what he can’t...manage.

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Quick read through of this suggests our fans are still as confused as ever with regard to Darren Wassall, purely because of one game where our £3m centre back poo the bed for ten minutes against Leon Best, then threw his toys out at full time. Good stuff.

The last 10 minutes of the Rotherham were awful and largely facilitated by some odd substitutions in a game we had completely controlled. This was then followed up by a fairly spineless display in the first leg of the Hull play off semi-final so the Rotherham game was not an isolated incident. In Wassall's defence he managed to extract a strong performance in the second leg of the play-offs but that was all too late.

I’ve been critical of him in the past, and he even admitted it’s only been in the last couple of years where he’s realised how to act as chairman/owner, but after listening to his thoughts about a number of topics, it’s hard to argue that with this version of Mel Morris we’re in good hands.

3 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

The last 10 minutes of the Rotherham were awful and largely facilitated by some odd substitutions in a game we had completely controlled. This was then followed up by a fairly spineless display in the first leg of the Hull play off semi-final so the Rotherham game was not an isolated incident. In Wassall's defence he managed to extract a strong performance in the second leg of the play-offs but that was all too late.

Bringing on two out of form players to get some minutes less than 10 minutes before the end of a game that you're winning 3-0  (against a weaker team) is not odd. It happens all the time.
99.9% of the time it's considered good management, because the team doesn't somehow throw away the win. He got unlucky.

The Hull first leg was a shitshow though, I agree - but its the only moment of his brief tenure I consider a mistake. He did very well to right a ship that was flailing before he came in.

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. 10 managers in 9 seasons. The power is all in Frank’s hands...he can choose when he goes to Chelsea...

In the contrary though, you can say the same about the availability of the Derby job 

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

For what it's worth, what Mel has said so far has made me think that the man we bring in to replace Lamapard will be someone none of us have thought of yet.

Who ticks all these boxes?

Style of play - 

Use of academy - 

Connection with fans - 

Nobody we have named so far has a record of all these things, I don't think.

Perhaps Stendel, but he plays 4-2-3-1 pressing football. 

Paul Simpson. 

2 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

And even then we only improved as a team when Harry was brought in as an adviser. Some people are good coaches but can’t make the transition to managers, for me DW is one of them, if he was held in such high regard and he had the believe in himself he would have gone and applied for managers jobs elsewhere.

What happens if we lose a few games at the start of the season with him in charge, do we then look for another advisor to guide him along the process.

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Great, let him carry on being in the top 200 and let’s others do what he can’t...manage.

But the Pro Licence is more geared to being a Manager, the C B and A Licences teach you to coach

4 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

If we’d had a player sent off would you expect to see a game out from 3-0 up with ten to play? If the answer to that is yes then you can’t blame the substitutions and if the answer is no you are the biggest pessimist in the world.

The home leg of the play offs was a poor performance, you’re right. There was a bit of tactical naivety there in chasing the game on the day. That’s something I might expect from a relatively inexperienced head coach, which he was.

1 minute ago, ScamRam said:

But the Pro Licence is more geared to being a Manager, the C B and A Licences teach you to coach

Didn’t know that, however for me the point still stands, I’d rather have a good manager without the licence than a good coach with it. For me he hasn’t got the right attributes to be a manager, only my opinion of course.

Archived