Mel Morris on melSport with Jim White

Heisenberg

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lot of talk now about the stadium sale and the financial realities around this. Mel doing a good job of explaining why it's perfectly fine to do it that way, and why the realities of running a football club demand clever-thinking like that.

Simon Jordan certainly enjoying his explanation, too.

4 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Academy in rude health from u18-23s

Same football philosophy

Will blood youth in, will play football.

Players would also have stability as well. I think his record was far better than some suggest. I probably gave him grief like everyone, but I think we need a understated manager this time.

He's done OK with the academy. I suggest there is a correlation as to why a few have been blooded whilst Jody Morris is here.

I don't think he would get respect from the players (Shackell at Rotherham for example) - it is completely different from U23's football to first team football. I agree we need an understated appointment though - for me Hughton is understated but proven. 

You can’t go from the attraction of a big name like Lampard, who excited the fans because of his profile and the media attention it gave the club and replace him with Wassall or Moore, that’s like selling your Porsche and buying a fiat 500 

the fans won’t feel the excitement or the draw of a big name, exactly what Mel is trying to replicate this time around. 

9 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Pleaseeee not Wassell. If weve learnt anything surely we know hes not the man.

Erm, he has just acheived his Uefa Pro Licence, the top qualification for his profession, something that I am sure Frank hasnt acheived yet. Puts Wassall in the top 200 coaches in the country. 

Just now, Papahet said:

So are we getting a roof over the stadium for Rod Stewart and co or not?

Apparently so - a retractable roof and a "special method" of covering/uncovering the pitch quickly and in a way that won't wreck the pitch would let them host 100 events a year apparently

If we want to encourage a particular style of play, then a roof to avoid claggy Baseball Ground style pitches and rain induced quaqmires would be brilliant. This is speaking as a Welshman who often goes to watch indoors rugby (when the English/Irish don't insist on getting rained on).

Q: "This time next week, do you think Frank will have gone and you'll be looking for a new manager?"

MM: "Players come back in on Monday. So if something doesn't happen next week then Frank will be our manager next weekand we'll kick on with our season onwards."

Q: "If he does go, he'll take his people with him..."

MM: "Yep. That's not unusual. That's not such a big deal."

On negotiating with players and agents...

MM: "I've got a good Chief Exec who shields me from a lot of that. It's important for a Chairman to not be too close to that. The market for players for me; I'm concerned. Those numbers are quite frankly astronomical compared to what it was 4-5 years ago, even in the Championship."

This guy is a supreme diplomat, in difficult circumstances.  Not sure I could maintain his level of composure and dignity - and avoid taking a bit more of an explicit dig at certain people / clubs.  Top job, Mel!  We should all be glad to have him as our Chairman.

7 minutes ago, ScamRam said:

Erm, he has just acheived his Uefa Pro Licence, the top qualification for his profession, something that I am sure Frank hasnt acheived yet. Puts Wassall in the top 200 coaches in the country. 

So at rate of one new manager a season, we have some way to go before it's Wassalls turn again ? 

Not all coaches make good managers anyway

2 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Anyone else get the impression that Mel's comment about "players are back on Monday, so we'll have to get our skates on', suggests we are close to making an appointment?

I think most of what Mel has said suggests the opposite. From what he's said, Frank is still our manager and he still hopes he'll stay. I don't think we're anywhere near close to appointing a new manager as it stands.

2 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Anyone else get the impression that Mel's comment about "players are back on Monday, so we'll have to get our skates on', suggests we are close to making an appointment?

from what I've read, unless it is someone out of work it will be Wassall in at least a caretaker role

Archived