Mel Morris on melSport with Jim White

Heisenberg

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Might be hearing it wrong, but I think he said they're only going to begin conversations with out of work managers whilst Frank is still officially here. Presume he doesn't want to disrupt other clubs unless he knows Frank has gone. 

I didn't hear him say anything along the lines of "while Frank is still here." 

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

May need to replay the audio but I believe he said he would only talk to out of work managers and even referenced that "we wouldn't do that to another club" at this stage of the season.

I read it as a dig at chelsea

1 minute ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Might be hearing it wrong, but I think he said they're only going to begin conversations with out of work managers whilst Frank is still officially here. Presume he doesn't want to disrupt other clubs unless he knows Frank has gone. 

That's how I understood it.

It’s been great to hear Mel this morning, I have so much respect for him, he’s not tried to dodge too much, he talks a hell of a lot of sense. Not everyone will agree, but I don’t think we could have a much better custodian of our club. It feels like a safe pair of hands, and whoever comes next as manager, whether it works out or not, I’m confident they will have been appointed with Mel believing he’s doing the best he can for Derby County. 

4 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think that's a bit of a leap. Talking to out of work managers is the only option prior to Lampard actually leaving by the sounds of it, he didn't say we are 100% going for an out of work manager unless I missed something.

Surely it's just down to cash 4+ million is a decent championship player 

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My interpretation was 'fans don't like it, so we'll stay clear of that route'. Rather than 'Other clubs go a lot more defensive in the Prem, so we need to do it and the fans need to except it'

Is that what teams like Swansea and Bournemouth did?

Well we will see when we appoint a manager i suppose. 

Wolves didnt really either, but thats 3 teams out of dozens.

I hope some of you guys' understanding of what Mel said was right, and I'm wrong, but did he not also say

"we wouldn't do that to another club at this stage of the season." and then go on to talk about the fact that most owners of Championship clubs aren't answering his calls at the minute because they think he might be calling about their manager?

3 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

The exact quote was, I believe, 'We're not going to go down that route whilst we've still got a manager here'.

Hope that is the case as the candidate list looks a lot more grim that way

Just now, Edtheram said:

Pleaseeee not Wassell. If weve learnt anything surely we know hes not the man.

He’s done nothing to suggest he’s proven himself NOT to be the man. We all have concerns over his credibility, but he has the best win record of any manager to have overseen more than 10 games since 1946 - I believe. I think Mac 1 edged him out, but Mac 2 brought his score down slightly. 

He wouldn’t be my choice but I can think of a long list of managers I’d rather him be picked over - some I imagine will be getting interviewed for the job. 

6 minutes ago, Whitefield said:

Fair enough. Can I ask what DW has done to deserve the job then?

Academy in rude health from u18-23s

Same football philosophy

Will blood youth in, will play football.

Players would also have stability as well. I think his record was far better than some suggest. I probably gave him grief like everyone, but I think we need a understated manager this time.

4 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Pleaseeee not Wassell. If weve learnt anything surely we know hes not the man.

Why

19 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Disagree with that. Look at Shearer, Henri, Neville. If Chelsea sack Frank in December when they're near the bottom of the league, it's over for him.

Not as over as it would be if he stayed here and we sack him in December when we're near the bottom of the league. And without Mount & Wilson, Frank must be thinking about that scenario.

Archived