Mel Morris on melSport with Jim White

Heisenberg

Q: "Are you preparing for an interview process?"

MM: "Of course. We've got to start getting ready. We won't begin conversations with anyone other than out of work candidates. Talks of an approach for Steven Gerrard are absolute rubbish."

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Q: "Are you preparing for an interview process?"

MM: "Of course. We've got to start getting ready. We won't begin conversations with anyone other than out of work candidates. Talks of an approach for Steven Gerrard are absolute rubbish."

Q: "Do you have someone in mind?"

MM: "Yeah. Because of what Frank did, there's a profile in place. [Then quotes again the style of play/use of academy stuff]."

5 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Thats not really what Wolves did though. Its what Forest and Watford are doing though.

What? First of all we sack managers all the time - don't see why this would be any different. And secondly tossing him aside when we get to the Prem isn't what I or Mel said. He said most fans hate the defensive style you get forced to in the Prem, which is what happened with Hughton and basically every team outside the top 6. It is necessary for your team to adapt to the circumstances they find themselves in, but the fans will hate it even if it is the only way to survive.

To be fair to Fulham, they tried to play the same way. 

Thats not really what Wolves did though. Its what Forest and Watford are doing though.

What? First of all we sack managers all the time - don't see why this would be any different. And secondly tossing him aside when we get to the Prem isn't what I or Mel said. He said most fans hate the defensive style you get forced to in the Prem, which is what happened with Hughton and basically every team outside the top 6.

My interpretation was 'fans don't like it, so we'll stay clear of that route'. Rather than 'Other clubs go a lot more defensive in the Prem, so we need to do it and the fans need to except it'

It is necessary for your team to adapt to the circumstances they find themselves in, but the fans will hate it even if it is the only way to survive.

Is that what teams like Swansea and Bournemouth did?

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Very interesting that Mel has confirmed we're only going to speak to candidates who are currently out of work. You can start ruling out lots of managers on the "shortlist" now, on that basis.

At this stage, I think - he related it to the fact that we could only do that 'as we still have a manager'.

I took that to mean that that approach would change once Frank goes. Who knows?

10 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Disagree, says a lot about our fans after that Rotherham game..... because that’s all it is about really, 1 football game where we exploded. Every manager has had some shockers. I think it’s just fans expectations as always.

Think Mel alluded to this in his interview for me. 

Fair enough. Can I ask what DW has done to deserve the job then?

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Very interesting that Mel has confirmed we're only going to speak to candidates who are currently out of work. You can start ruling out lots of managers on the "shortlist" now, on that basis.

I think that's a bit of a leap. Talking to out of work managers is the only option prior to Lampard actually leaving by the sounds of it, he didn't say we are 100% going for an out of work manager unless I missed something.

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think that's a bit of a leap. Talking to out of work managers was the only option prior to Lampard actually leaving by the sounds of it, he didn't say we are 100% going for an out of work manager unless I missed something.

May need to replay the audio but I believe he said he would only talk to out of work managers and even referenced that "we wouldn't do that to another club" at this stage of the season.

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Might be hearing it wrong, but I think he said they're only going to begin conversations with out of work managers whilst Frank is still officially here. Presume he doesn't want to disrupt other clubs unless he knows Frank has gone. 

Archived