Benitez - out of Toon

Gaspode

Benitez to leave when his contract expires next week - seems that the club have issued a statement that they've been unable to agree an extension so he'll be free to leave at the end of his contract. Local journo on Sky Sports reckons he was ambitious to move them forward but wanted assurances of money to spend - which weren't forthcoming. Interstingly reckoned he wants to stay in England and that it's more to do with competing in Europe and winning trophies than about money so the China opportunities may come to nothing - I wonder if Chelsea might consider him....

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really shocking stuff by Newcastle to let it get to the point where he’s leaving for free. Fans will be fuming, rarely see that happen. Classic mike Ashley, won’t get any cash out of him. I’d be surprised to see him go to China tbf, that’s pretty much a retirement. I think he’ll stay, tho I don’t know how High is a job he’ll get. He may be expecting too much. I semi expect to see him turn up at a lower club that’s just come into money. Big name to lead a big project sort of thing. Certainly won’t be going chelsea, if he was going there he’d have gone in 2013- too late now.

Archived