Thank you Bryson

B4ev6is

Hardly ever post and normally players moving on doesn't get to me, but I felt I had to tonight to say a heartfelt thanks to my favourite player of this era. Won't ever forget "That Day". Bryso seems like a proper gent and good luck to him and his family back home in Scotland. Derby will miss you. 

Also top class of @valleyram for his offer to @B4ev6is?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never forgot that winner he scored away vs Watford, absolute screamer to send us to the top of the table. I've sometimes been critical of his performances, but something I could never pick fault in, was his attitude. Always absolutely top class, he'll be missed because of what a top guy he is. Hope he's back to Pride Park as a fan soon.

@valleyram respect to you for looking out for you son-in-law to the extent you did.

I think Bryson was the last player we signed whilst I was at school which we have and him leaving makes me feel old. 

Kept things ticking over under Clough and gave us some dynamism. 

Under McClaren he was just a conveyor belt of runs. Off of Martin, off of Dawkins, in-behind to stretch play, get a cross in or score. 

Stretched play under Wassall and gave us an extra dimension. 

The accusations that he was an average footballer that worked hard were just balls. He was technically sound without being technically proficient. This enabled him, with his unrivalled stamina, to become a second striker that could heavily contribute to build-up play and could drop into midfield off the ball.

I still think Lampard got him and Mount the wrong way around last season. Mount should have been the one linking up and Bryson getting on the end of thing.

I’m waffling because I don’t really know how to end this. Cheers mate. Had far too many jäger’s because of you. You’re the reason my dad had his one and only as well.

13 hours ago, Paul71 said:

The bryson we bought for i think about 400k would easily cost 7 or 8 million in today's prices. 

Top player. Sad to see him go

Not really, McGinn cost less than 3m and is arguably better than Bryson ever was. And Robertson cost Hull very little. Still good value in Scotland!

33 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

McGinn cost less than 3m and is arguably better than Bryson ever was

I mean, I have been a critic of Bryson for several years... but that's ludicrous.

1 minute ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

How much have you seen him play? Many Villa fans consider him their best player. Be interesting to see how he does in the Prem.

One season in the Championship...

Over 8 years, 288 games, 2 play off finals, a promotion, 2 players of the year and PFA Championship Team of the Season where he scored 16 goals from midfield?

McGinn was better than Bryson has been for 2 or 3 years at this point, but there's not a chance in hell I'm agreeing with you that McGinn showed last year that he's better than Bryson ever was - and for what it's worth, Bryson cost a maximum of £450k, so the £3m argument doesn't help either.

McGinn is a fine player. We really didn't do ourselves any favours not signing him. I would have to agree with SRG on this: McGinn hasn't come close to hitting the heights of Bryson's 13/14 season - 16 goals and 14 assists from midfield & consistently covered the most ground in every game he played in. I can't think of many players that have had such a season at this level - certainly no one last season even came close in the entire division. 

5 hours ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Not really, McGinn cost less than 3m and is arguably better than Bryson ever was. And Robertson cost Hull very little. Still good value in Scotland!

So your contribution to a thread offering thanks to Bryson is to tell us that McGinn is better!

Was always a go-to signing for me from Clyde back on the old Football Manager games, so was over the moon when we actually signed him. We has so much more than just a workhorse -  his understanding of the game was top notch and I genuinely believe that had we gone up under Mac1 he'd had cemented himself in the Prem. Top player, top man. Will be missed.

4 hours ago, HantsRam said:

It's a great shame that the news couldn't have been known before season's end so the crowd could have shown their full appreciation to Craig. 

???

We did!!!

After the game against West Brom, Craig took a bow in front of the adoring and very loud South Stand.

Archived