Garry Monk leaves Birmingham

David

9 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Did a good job in most part at Swansea, Leeds and Birmingham, but Boro raises alarm bells.

Steve Gibson (for all you can say about him) is known for giving manager's time. Pretty patient guy, by all accounts. Been in the game for long enough to know that people need time to implement their football. Getting rid of him before Christmas really suggests that something wasn't right there. 

He was only 3 pts off play offs with boro to be fair.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Simsy said:

It does because all 4 jobs he's done relatively well.  However it is a concern that he can't settle. With that said how many managers have we had in 5 years? 

So a match made in heaven then. I’ll give him 3 months. 

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

"According to published FA data, Featherstone was directly involved only in the deal to bring Cyrus Christie from Derby County to the Riverside in July 2017 — although that was as a representative for the selling club."
Is this why Gibson hates us?

53 minutes ago, JfR said:

"According to published FA data, Featherstone was directly involved only in the deal to bring Cyrus Christie from Derby County to the Riverside in July 2017 — although that was as a representative for the selling club."
Is this why Gibson hates us?

I seem to remember at the time folk on here saying boro would end up hating us for that one, although, mostly that was his defending.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst we all love a bit of drama, let's remember that this is the same Steve Gibson who wanted to sue Derby for selling their ground. My ******** detector is going off the charts considering that their main example of this nefarious transfer activity is the purchase of Cyrus Christie, a 24 year old Irish international, for 2.25 million. That is an absolute snip in the current market, and they sold him for a profit. As if we needed an agent to tell us that Christie was worth more than 1.75 million.

My prediction is that Gibson is, yet again, talking out of his arse.

3 minutes ago, Anon said:

Whilst we all love a bit of drama, let's remember that this is the same Steve Gibson who wanted to sue Derby for selling their ground. My ******** detector is going off the charts considering that their main example of this nefarious transfer activity is the purchase of Cyrus Christie, a 24 year old Irish international, for 2.25 million. That is an absolute snip in the current market, and they sold him for a profit.

My prediction is that Gibson is, yet again, talking out of his arse.

I read it with a large tub of salt next to me, Boro and the Daily Mail is not the best combination to be getting your information from.

Makes me wonder if this was the start of Gibson's crusade against us, but as you say they sold him on for a profit, don't see how they can complain about over paying. 

Unless it's more of a morale issue, felt we should have perhaps known and let Gibson know? 

Might not be related at all and simply the stadium issue and pipping them to 6th place, makes you wonder though.

Whatever the actual truth of this, the world of football agents is murky at best and quite why the governance rules that legally apply to every business and organisation in the UK can't be made to work in football, God only knows.

If the Mail is correct then Monk's agent also represented Derby in the sale of Cyrus to Boro and earned himself £100k in the deal from Derby.  He was also Cyrus' agent so presumably got paid for advising the player (probably by Boro).  There are no normal business transactions involving this kind of money outside football where it would be acceptable practice for one person to represent 3 parties in a deal, but not the club paying the final fee, which is no doubt what irritates Gibson - not unreasonably.

Gibson probably isn't bothered about Derby's part - we told him what was happening - but you can't blame him for thinking that the whole deal potentially stinks.

I'm sure there are good, honest agents who work for the best interests of the clubs and players they represent but until football's governance rules change, and are applied, so that a different agent works for each of the parties involved in any and every deal and each agent is only paid by the party they represent, then these problems will continue to arise.

We've had, allegedly, our own fiduciary problems.  Perhaps it's Boro's turn now.

10 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

If the Mail is correct then Monk's agent also represented Derby in the sale of Cyrus to Boro and earned himself £100k in the deal from Derby.  He was also Cyrus' agent so presumably got paid for advising the player (probably by Boro).  There are no normal business transactions involving this kind of money outside football where it would be acceptable practice for one person to represent 3 parties in a deal, but not the club paying the final fee, which is no doubt what irritates Gibson - not unreasonably.

On 19/06/2019 at 19:48, Nuwtfly said:

Some quite incredible claims about Monk in this. Including one claim that he gets richer every time he gets sacked and might not care about football anymore...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7159671/Birmingham-CEO-claims-Garry-Monk-fired-dispute-use-agent-clubs-transfers.html

he's gone into some very specific detail there, so you'd assume if it was codswallop he'll be getting a letter from Garry's lawyer. Pretty damaging to GM's reputation that.

1 hour ago, ronnieronalde said:

he's gone into some very specific detail there, so you'd assume if it was codswallop he'll be getting a letter from Garry's lawyer. Pretty damaging to GM's reputation that.

He signed them lee camp. Thought that was regarded as gross misconduct these days?

16 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

More ******** news then 

I think the allegation is that the agent worked in the interests of DCFC whilst dealing with Boro on the Christie deal.

If you were CC in this situation you'd be wanting to make it clear it wasn't your representation that had a conflict of interest.

Archived