Garry Monk leaves Birmingham

David

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Have to look at things more than just that simply tho. Like whether those improvements were actually achievements based on management skill or something else. I could become manager of Burnley and be given 1bn to spend over the summer and I could probably get them to finish higher than last season. Doesn’t mean that’s a managerial achievement or that I’m any good.

Well considering he spent next to nothing, if anything at all, at Birmingham then surely you would agree he earned his chance at Derby then?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

He took over a struggling Burton Albion and led them to 2 consecutive play offs, left them near the top of the league.

Took over Birmingham in 21st place and led them to a 10th place finish. Had them in 7th place when he was sacked. 

Took over Derby in 10th place and led them to the play offs next season. 

I can 100% see why teams thought he was worthy of 'promotion'.

What about Stoke?

spent £40m and took them to 14th in the championship?

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well considering he spent next to nothing, if anything at all, at Birmingham then surely you would agree he earned his chance at Derby then?

Yeah but he took over from an incompetent fool. Ditto at Derby (with a brief interlude of someone more sane). In hindsight I don’t think what he achieved with brum was that spectacular, decent yes but not enough for the Derby job with the style of football. 

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

What about Stoke?

spent £40m and took them to 14th in the championship?

We were on about how he ended up getting the Birmingham, Derby and Stoke jobs 

I'd say a 75% strike rate of improving league positions is pretty decent

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah but he took over from an incompetent fool. Ditto at Derby (with a brief interlude of someone more sane). In hindsight I don’t think what he achieved with brum was that spectacular, decent yes but not enough for the Derby job with the style of football. 

Amazing that Lee Clarke (that had some success before) and Zola afterwards both had them down the bottom of the table. 

Not decent enough for Derby...don't make me laugh! 

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Amazing that Lee Clarke (that had some success before) and Zola afterwards both had them down the bottom of the table. 

Not decent enough for Derby...don't make me laugh! 

Lee Clark is a ducking appalling manager, arguably worse than some of the buffoons we’ve had here. Did a decent job at Huddersfield but that’s it really. Anyone who couldn’t improve on him may as well give up now. Zola I was expecting better of tbf, but I feel that squad was so set in its horrendous style that him coming in and actually trying to play football made them all poo themselves and that’s why it went so badly. 

Didnt do anything to deserve a higher up job imo and I stand by that. Probably didn’t do enough to get the sack, but nothing to get a higher up job.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

He got a point really

sacked at Swansea 

sacked at leeds

sacked at Middlesbrough 

sacked at Birmingham 

achieved more than say, Darren Ferguson!

Kept Swansea up which was an achievement at the time.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

He got a point really

sacked at Swansea 

sacked at leeds

sacked at Middlesbrough 

sacked at Birmingham 

I don't agree. I look at it more this way:

Did brilliantly initially at Swansea playing fantastic football and perhaps raised expectations unrealistically. Swansea have dropped like a stone since he left;

Got Leeds to their best position (until Bielsa) in more than 10 years and played good football. Sacking him was absurd;

Joined Boro and had a nightmare. But the club did seem to have a particularly disjointed approach to transfers. Tried to play good football which, after Karanka, was a massive transition and didn't give him chance to see it implemented fully;

Did a decent job at Birmingham in difficult circumstances. Style of play wasn't the best but I don't think that that was his preference - everywhere else he's been he's favoured attacking, possession football. At Birmingham he had a poor squad full of agricultural players. Had a transfer embargo and sold several decent players. Turned them into play off contenders until a points deduction. Harsh sacking and not a fair reflection on his management style.

To be honest, I think we could do a lot worse than appoint him and I'd be happy if we did. It'd be a club that had decent resources but he has experience of working on a limited budget. He tends to play good football as a preference. He would be at a club that, compared to Leeds, Boro and Birmingham, are sane and not basket cases. The stability could allow him to flourish. The more I think about it, the happier I'd be. Controversial, I know.

Did a good job in most part at Swansea, Leeds and Birmingham, but Boro raises alarm bells.

Steve Gibson (for all you can say about him) is known for giving manager's time. Pretty patient guy, by all accounts. Been in the game for long enough to know that people need time to implement their football. Getting rid of him before Christmas really suggests that something wasn't right there. 

Archived