John Terry targeted to replace Lampard

Gringo

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

Jesus what is it with our club being used as a stepping stone ! If they show a modecome of success they are targeted by the press who dangle carrots ! We have premier league facilities, we have a great fan base, a great owner, we are crying out for somebody to show us some loyalty and belief and invest themselves into our club and they will be repaid ! Stop using us like twits!

Chris Hughton

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn’t be against John Terry If Frank was to leave, I won’t sit here and judge his past knowing I have made bad calls myself which I deeply regret, thankfully mine were not played out in public and splashed across the papers.

He has a years coaching experience under his belt with promoted Aston Villa, more than what Lampard had when he arrived which shows experience can be overrated at times and does not guarantee any better results, isn’t that right Mr Pearson?

If you want a leader in the dressing room you won’t find many better, leadership being one complaint from fans that I have regularly heard, although not sure if that’s just knocking Keogh.

Whilst John Terry would not command universal respect in football grounds around the country, you can be sure he would from players that play the game for what he has achieved.

Obviously this would strengthen the links with Chelsea, now I understand that some would prefer us to not be seen as their feeder club, but if Lampard was the manager at Chelsea and Terry the manager at Derby, we would be the top of the list for their best young players which are to be sent out on loan.

Also how many outgoing managers would share a pint with the incoming manager at their old club and give them the lowdown of whats what at the club? What they had planned, which players would let him down and need shipping out if he can, strengths and weaknesses, who needs the arm around them and who responds better to the hairdryer.

Terry’s ultimate dream job would be Chelsea, we know that. Let’s say Lampard does go to Chelsea and IF it went wrong and they sacked him in 12 months, do you see the Chelsea boardroom going for another romantic appointment? They would have the Hazard money burning a hole in their pocket and look for an experienced manager to come in and take the club forward. 

However as with any manager if he has a successful season, chances are a club higher up may want him. This will happen with ANY manager we appoint so don’t get hung up on this stepping stone nonsense. 

I still want Frank to stay, don’t get me wrong and all this is based on IF’s, if Lampard leaves, if we wanted Terry, I wouldn’t be against it. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

I wouldn’t be against John Terry If Frank was to leave, I won’t sit here and judge his past knowing I have made bad calls myself which I deeply regret, thankfully mine were not played out in public and splashed across the papers.

He has a years coaching experience under his belt with promoted Aston Villa, more than what Lampard had when he arrived which shows experience can be overrated at times and does not guarantee any better results, isn’t that right Mr Pearson?

If you want a leader in the dressing room you won’t find many better, leadership being one complaint from fans that I have regularly heard, although not sure if that’s just knocking Keogh.

Whilst John Terry would not command universal respect in football grounds around the country, you can be sure he would from players that play the game for what he has achieved.

Obviously this would strengthen the links with Chelsea, now I understand that some would prefer us to not be seen as their feeder club, but if Lampard was the manager at Chelsea and Terry the manager at Derby, we would be the top of the list for their best young players which are to be sent out on loan.

Also how many outgoing managers would share a pint with the incoming manager at their old club and give them the lowdown of whats what at the club? What they had planned, which players would let him down and need shipping out if he can, strengths and weaknesses, who needs the arm around them and who responds better to the hairdryer.

Terry’s ultimate dream job would be Chelsea, we know that. Let’s say Lampard does go to Chelsea and IF it went wrong and they sacked him in 12 months, do you see the Chelsea boardroom going for another romantic appointment? They would have the Hazard money burning a hole in their pocket and look for an experienced manager to come in and take the club forward. 

However as with any manager if he has a successful season, chances are a club higher up may want him. This will happen with ANY manager we appoint so don’t get hung up on this stepping stone nonsense. 

I still want Frank to stay, don’t get me wrong and all this is based on IF’s, if Lampard leaves, if we wanted Terry, I wouldn’t be against it. 

I'd take Terry for exactly the reasons you state.

Tomori would love to play for Terry having been one of the best defenders in the past 20 years in the prem...I would also imagine Ampadu would find his way here.

4 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Having Terry as manager continues the links with Chelsea, it might be a way of getting good loans from Chelsea still....but

I hate Chelsea.

I also hated Chelsea as a young kid/teenager, remember them ripping the seats out at the old baseball ground think it was 81/82 season, also use to be quite a lot of trouble in the early mid eighths with Chelsea but times and football has changed and John Terry is deffo a better choice than bowyer and in my opinion Hughten, might even get Tomori back, now that would be an excellent start to things.

I’ve got a bit more on “experience”, let me go on.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst a name that’s been suggested, 4 seasons experience as manager, great. It’s all been at one club though, Feyenoord. 

What if Feyenoord didn’t give him that chance, would we want him then?

Why is it ok for Feyenoord to give an untested manager a crack but not Derby, we demand a proven track record because we’re in the second tier of English Football....pardon?

We have just come off the back of a season with a manager with zero experience, not even a desk of his own that took us to Wembley, 90 minutes from the Premier League. Do you know how many clubs don’t get anywhere near that having employed a string of experienced managers and yes I’m looking down the A52.

I have no problems being ahead of the game, being that club to give them a chance, the same way as I would love to see Derby find players from lower down and be the club to pick up a Duane Holmes for 700k whatever it was, than wait for another club to take the punt and then pay 5x as much after a decent season. Been there, done that, got the FFP concerns t shirt.

Having a reputation of giving youth a chance both in the dugout and on the pitch would be no bad thing, and yes we run the risk of losing them to the clubs which they hold legendary status, but come on, we recently lost Rowett to Stoke bloody City, it happens.

Some will flop, be a disaster, but I don’t see the risk being any greater than jumping aboard the Dinosaur train, next stop Pulis choo choo booooooo!

Terry would be a hideous decision 

Never have a ex defender as your manager,just look at rowett and Stuart Pearce's shambles at Derby and forest.

And don't have anybody who is classed as a tough man manager or you end up with another Pearson,no thanks.

It would be another retrograde step in exactly the wrong direction again setting us back years.

How about some continuity in the style of manager we bring in,one who continued to blend in and encourage the academy to produce players who play the same style as the first team and know the system.

The last we thing we need is another change of system and I hope to god Mel has finally learnt that lesson if we do lose lamps.

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Terry would be a hideous decision 

Never have a ex defender as your manager,just look at rowett and Stuart Pearce's shambles at Derby and forest.

And don't have anybody who is classed as a tough man manager or you end up with another Pearson,no thanks.

It would be another retrograde step in exactly the wrong direction again setting us back years.

How about some continuity in the style of manager we bring in,one who continued to blend in and encourage the academy to produce players who play the same style as the first team and know the system.

The last we thing we need is another change of system and I hope to god Mel has finally learnt that lesson if we do lose lamps.

Who’s your pick kash? 

I'm sorry but even if you ignore the rotten aspects of his personality (the cheating and racism), he wore a full kit to make it look like he was part of the final. Pathetic. Commands respect?

terry-2012.jpg

Such sad behaviour. What an absolute bell.

Just now, Archied said:

Who’s your pick kash? 

Difficult one as we have lost two of the candidates who would have conceivably fitted in ok in Jokanović and bowyer.

It's deeply unfashionable( but I'm not interested in having a glittery manager to brag about) but I'd go for wassell.

He would cost us very little in comparison to a big name manager,he knows the club inside and out,including the academy,he did a good job last time getting us into the playoffs,he plays a style of football that mirrors lampards and he has two more years experience since the last time which will have stood him in good stead.

I don't think there is anyone else out there at the moment who is a better fit for the club at this stage.

6 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I'm sorry but even if you ignore the rotten aspects of his personality (the cheating and racism), he wore a full kit to make it look like he was part of the final. Pathetic. Commands respect?

terry-2012.jpg

Such sad behaviour. What an absolute bell.

how many games do you think they played in Europe in that campaign? How many of them to you think Terry played?

Archived