VAR

1of4

VAR should be humanely hung, drawn, and, and, quartered with parts of stockley Park sent to associations across the continent as a warning.

The ref using shaving foam to mark the free kick and the wall is a simple, practical solution that cost nothing, solved a problem and was easy to implement with the only downside being everyone still thinks the free kick is in the wrong place and the wall is in the wrong place, which they all thought anyway. Imagine it had cost hundreds of millions to achieve that.... ?

VAR has cost how many millions, solved nothing, been detrimental to the enjoyment of the sport and now its here there is no way to get rid of it.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

VAR should be humanely hung, drawn, and, and, quartered with parts of stockley Park sent to associations across the continent as a warning.

The ref using shaving foam to mark the free kick and the wall is a simple, practical solution that cost nothing, solved a problem and was easy to implement with the only downside being everyone still thinks the free kick is in the wrong place and the wall is in the wrong place, which they all thought anyway. Imagine it had cost hundreds of millions to achieve that.... ?

VAR has cost how many millions, solved nothing, been detrimental to the enjoyment of the sport and now its here there is no way to get rid of it.

I agree,  but hopefully it can go.

The thing is,  who is to blame? 

Now its in, pundits, managers and us fans, including me are complaining about it.

However all 3 of the above are responsible for us being where we are with it, all 3 publicly slate referees for mistakes,  either with the hindsight of tv replays or often incorrect verbal abuse at matches from fans and managers.

I hate VAR but have been guilty of the above numerous times. 

Anyone else who has been guilty of the above is also, like me, has to accept some responsibility for where we are.

I'm going to say this again: Just respect the referee's decision.

And don't listen to pundits, who as ex-players, have their own axe to grind and don't actually don't know the laws of the game anyway. Listening to Robbie Savage or Alan Shearer makes as much sense as listening to Nigel Farage. They are not people with actual opinions, just a need to be noticed.

VAR frustrates the hell out of me, cos it’s so easy to solve. It’s not rocket science, it has been suggested by many people on this forum, and has precedent in other sports, but for some reason is never really talked about as an option by the decision makers:

Each team gets a number of VAR appeals. Let’s say 1 per half. If they are vindicated, then they get their appeal back.

this solves so many problems:

diving: if it’s a dive, you know straight away, cos the attacking team won’t use an appeal. If they do appeal, and it turns out that there was no contact, then the ref can at least be fairly sure that it was an unintentional dive, cos what idiot would waste an appeal knowing they’d dived. 

Wasted time: you’d only get a maximum of 2 wasted appeals per half, so there wouldn’t be as much wasted time. If they are correct appeals, then we can probably all agree it’s worth the wasted time to have got it right, it’s no longer wasted time. 

marginal offsides / other decisions: a lot of the controversial decisions are where the other team haven’t even really appealed. So there ends up being a VAR review that no one even asked for. It might be proven that it was offside by a fraction, but I think this is becoming the most frustrating aspect of VAR. under this system, a defending team, if they felt sure it was offside, could appeal. If they don’t, and the pundits later see that it was in fact offside, well that’s now the defending teams failing to not appeal it. Not the ref, not the attacking team. Balls in the defending teams court.

tv signs: all these players running up to refs making tv signs. There’s be no more of that, cos you’ve really got to think twice about it. If you run up to the ref and it turns out you’re wrong and then wasted your appeal for another more obvious incident later, I’m sure you’re team mates wouldn’t be too pleased with you. 

basically all the issues of VAR are sorted out in one fell swoop with no need for any added infrastructure. I really don’t understand why this isn’t being talked about more. 

VAR isn't the problem - if it corrects a serious error then I have no issue with it. There are 2 aspects which, if it's going to be acceptable to all parties, need to be resolved and resolved as a matter of urgency.

The 'clear and obvious' interpretation has at times been farcical and those in authority need to make it far better defined - borderline instances should remain just that with the referees' initial decision left to stand.

The amount of time being taken to arrive at a decision is a real contentious issue - up to 3 minutes is ridiculous! If it's that clear an incident then why on earth should it take what feels like an eternity? I don't understand why referees in Germany, Italy & Spain are regularly looking at pitchside monitors yet unless I'm mistaken, this way of checking has still to be used in the PL.

VAR for goaline decisions only.

For offside etc. 2 linesmen in each half. [Not the 1 behind the goal.]

2 on each sideline

For Premiership / Top Flight football only which has now developed into a much quicker game. Too quick for the officials to keep up with.

1 hour ago, Rambam2014 said:

VAR for goaline decisions only.

For offside etc. 2 linesmen in each half. [Not the 1 behind the goal.]

2 on each sideline

For Premiership / Top Flight football only which has now developed into a much quicker game. Too quick for the officials to keep up with.

Don’t need var for goalline decisions. We already have goal line technology which works pretty much flawlessly. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Don’t need var for goalline decisions. We already have goal line technology which works pretty much flawlessly. 

Meant goal line tech. That does indeed work well.

Came out as VAR

Tomato, Tomarto ?

34 minutes ago, Srg said:

Why didn’t VAR stop Son getting sent off for Gomes dying? Wasn’t a bad tackle. 

I don't see how you can book him, which Atkinson did, then look at the result and decide it's a red!

7 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I don't see how you can book him, which Atkinson did, then look at the result and decide it's a red!

My guess is that it will be overturned - won't please Everton fans but it would be the correct decision.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

My guess is that it will be overturned - won't please Everton fans but it would be the correct decision.

At thought this at first, but actually, if you think about it, if you get caught speeding, which everyone does at some point, you get points and a fine. 

But if someone chooses that moment to step out in front of you, you get charged for causing death by dangerous driving, and we don’t see you for 2 years. 

We don’t think about it when we speed, but we all know it’s a possible consequence, we just hope we’re not that one time out of 10000 where it all goes wrong. 

It’s hard luck for Son, but I think he has to take his lashes like a big big and just be thankful he’s just sitting out a few games, and not the months of rehab and recovery the Gomes will be looking forward to.  

37 minutes ago, rynny said:

Well if this is the view the VAR official had then the Premier League bod who made this decision needs to book an urgent appointment at Specsavers. Surely the nearest part of either body which can legitimately be credited with a goal is the Villa defenders' knee - or am I missing Something?

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Week referee, influenced by the injury not the challenge.  Its horrific but barely a booking never mind a sending off

Archived