VAR

1of4

31 minutes ago, Carnero said:

In which case the benefit should go with the attacking team and we should have to see daylight between the passers boot and the ball.

Preferably scrap the thing.

With yesterday's disallowed goal,the two lines were ontop of each other. For any decision there must be a gap between the lines surely?

If it can't be exact then how can it be used? Goal line tech is.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I've been wondering why this point hasn't been raised on football commo by now (perhaps I've missed it). But when you watch replays of low to the ground cricket catches and see how fore-shortening makes things look I couldn't get how VAR 'tells' when the ball has left the boot. I assumed that with the margin of accuracy that players were or weren't called offside that similar tech was being used to judge ball release, but no-one mentioned it.

So it's just guesswork then. What a joke VAR really is.

3 hours ago, Carnero said:

In which case the benefit should go with the attacking team and we should have to see daylight between the passers boot and the ball.

Preferably scrap the thing.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

VAR should be taken out back and humanly put to sleep by several mob baddies with baseball bat's.

2 hours ago, BondJovi said:

With yesterday's disallowed goal,the two lines were ontop of each other. For any decision there must be a gap between the lines surely?

If it can't be exact then how can it be used? Goal line tech is.

I think implemented correctly VAR could be a very good thing.

I genuinely feel they are trying to hard to prove its worth. Its like they feel for it to be of value its got to be seen to be making decisions on a regular basis. They are searching for reasons to get involved.

I still don't understand why, when the intention is it is only supposed to overrule clear errors, that we are seeing the decisions made that are.

Yesterdays decision, it may have been offside, if we could freeze play and send someone out to make exact measurements it might be offside. That is not what offside is about though. No way can anyone of been certain that goal yesterday was as a result of an obvious error.

For me, while emotions can be high with referring decisions and they are best kept out of the way of the media after a game, I think VAR referees should have to sit in front of the media and explain the decisions they are making, because in many cases no one understands.

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I think implemented correctly VAR could be a very good thing.

Only in yes/no situations ie did the ball cross the line? Anything else is just another refereeing opinion. 

ps why not VAR for the freekick that lead to Liverpools second goal? The defender just stood his ground, not a foul.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Only in yes/no situations ie did the ball cross the line? Anything else is just another refereeing opinion. 

ps why not VAR for the freekick that lead to Liverpools second goal? The defender just stood his ground, not a foul.

I didn't see the Liverpool game but I am sure you are right. It does seem VAR is only coming out the box if a goal is involved, or a goal scoring opportunity such as a penalty.

Personally i'd send it back and get my money back,, I hate it, We have goal line tech that should be enough, BUT i can see a value if its used in situations where its clear immediately to the VAR refs that the on field ref has made an error, such as a player diving or doing a bamford and attempting to get a fellow professional a red card.

Offside could be used but only if you know when watching the live footage, UNLESS its obvious in live play leave it alone. Some of the decisions take minutes, it should take seconds.

If VAR was only called on to change a decision once every few weeks i would say thats far more successful than trying to prove its worth.

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Just accept the subjective nature of the game and occasional human eorror as the price worth paying for the spectacle.......

Part of the problem with bringing in VAR is you're basically now saying errors cannot be accepted, which the subjective nature of the game renders impossible. You don't need VAR to determine offside if that;s your thing, it could be done by a computer tracking the player movements almost instantly. I loath and despise VAR but I'm sure I'm urinating into the wind and we'll never be rid of it.

I think it is going to ruin the game as it is currently implemented. Some of the offsides are just pedantic, won't be long until a goal is disallowed because someone's hair is offside. Everywhere else on the pitch the whole ball has to be over the line but offside can be any part?

And the handball rule in the box? Favours defenders and those accidently defensive handballs won't be a penalty?

It all favours defenders.

It has gone too far.

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Just accept the subjective nature of the game and occasional human eorror as the price worth paying for the spectacle.......

Part of the problem with bringing in VAR is you're basically now saying errors cannot be accepted, which the subjective nature of the game renders impossible. You don't need VAR to determine offside if that;s your thing, it could be done by a computer tracking the player movements almost instantly. I loath and despise VAR but I'm sure I'm urinating into the wind and we'll never be rid of it.

I have a better idea, read it before you dismiss ok.

What you do is get a guy or a gal to position themselves on the side of the pitch. Perhaps two, one on each side ok. Still with me? So what they do is follow the play, looking across the field of play.

What they will do is if they feel a player was in an offside position when the ball was played, regardless of if a goal was scored, they will signal to the referee somehow, i dunno im thinking a flag?

Yeah they might get it wrong now and then, but to be honest so does VAR and VAR probably costs a lot more so yeah i reckon i'd do something like that.

3 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

I think it is going to ruin the game as it is currently implemented. Some of the offsides are just pathetic, won't be long until a goal is disallowed because someone's hair is offside. Everywhere else on the pitch the whole ball has to be over the line but offside can be any part?

And the handball rule in the box? Favours defenders and those accidently defensive handballs won't be a penalty?

It all favours defenders.

It has gone too far.

FTFY

12 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I have a better idea, read it before you dismiss ok.

What you do is get a guy or a gal to position themselves on the side of the pitch. Perhaps two, one on each side ok. Still with me? So what they do is follow the play, looking across the field of play.

What they will do is if they feel a player was in an offside position when the ball was played, regardless of if a goal was scored, they will signal to the referee somehow, i dunno im thinking a flag?

Yeah they might get it wrong now and then, but to be honest so does VAR and VAR probably costs a lot more so yeah i reckon i'd do something like that.

I'm not convinced yet that the introduction of VAR is good for the game - unlike cricket, it certainly has not added to the spectacle but in all honesty I can't think of any instance where it has been proved to be wrong. 

The problem lies in the laws of the game and how they are being interpreted by officials. Bring back goal hanging!

My quick theory with VAR based on nothing.

It favours team that play a high line as there’s more room for error, so essentially it’s going to favour some teams than others. Probably ‘top teams’ over a more defensive minded team near the bottom of the table.

Over time this will also makes defences more error prone and essentially create more chaos/ take risks because they know that they have a back up.

So defending is going to get worse, which will lead to big score lines and predictable results.

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

People need to stop being Bamfords about referees and their decisions.

Referees are human. They make mistakes. Accept this.

Yup referees do, var referees shouldn't 

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

My quick theory with VAR based on nothing.

It favours team that pays more money, so essentially it’s going to favour some teams than others. Probably ‘top teams’ over a more defensive minded team near the bottom of the table.

Over time this will also makes defences more error prone and essentially create more chaos/ take risks because they know that they have a back up.

So defending is going to get worse, which will lead to big score lines and predictable results.

Ftfy. 

6 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

VAR refs shouldn't exist

Watching highlights of the Arsenal v Villa game, I reckon most Villa fans would say they don’t!

Unless they had all fallen asleep, I’m struggling to see how they didn’t see a penalty though the end for Villa. Arsenal player clearly moved his arm to the ball in the box. Dean Smith was right to comment most coaches don’t know what is or isn’t a penalty because I now don’t think the officials do; so what’s the point of VAR if they can’t make decisions based with clear sight ?

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Anyone else bored of it already?

Yep and we're only 6 games into the Prem season. I knew this would happen. World Cups are different because largely it's a couple of games a day for a few weeks, and we're mainly only passionate about the VAR woes when it affects our home team. With the Prem it's 10 games every weekend and every single team's fans are going nuts about every decision week in week out. Will things calm down as we all get used to it. I flippin hope so! 

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Srg said:

Another beautiful day for VAR yesterday... Liverpool with an onside goal ruled out and Watford with a penalty for nothing. Ruining football this season in the Premier League, game in game out. 

Its rubbish isnt it.

The liverpool one, its beyond ridiculous how anyone could say with absolute certainty that it was offside. And the Watford one, a clear dive for me, VAR is supposed to reduce the number of errors, its just creating its own set of errors. Time to do away with it.

The time it took to decide the Watford pen was ridiculous. A sporting contest should not potentially be decided by watching 3 mins of a 3 second clip. Just proves you can't be certain and way beyond any clear and obvious. In that case, stick with the onfield call.

Archived