The Shortlist...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s not a strong league but I’m sure gerrard is smart enough to know he can boost his rep there without having to do too much work. Don’t think it’s quite national league level mind, it’s league one at worst. Why would gerrard jump ship for Derby when he can hang on, prove himself by catching up to Celtic, and get a job straight in the prem without having to mess about with trying to get us up which seems an impossibility. If you think he’s done a poor job so far than clearly you don’t understand the gap between rangers and Celtic that he took over facing, its slowly starting to close now. Naturally he’s not proven himself for a top job yet, but he will do if he’s carries on there imo by virtue of his name more than anything if he does a decent job... he’s above dropping down to us now. No one would touch Lennon because he’s already been down here and failed, gerrard doesn’t have that particular record.

Don't worry, I do understand Scottish football, I have done hours of research on it to counter a deluded Rangers friend during our 9 point season. What surprised me most from my research was that the SPL is more dire than even I thought it was. I really suggest you spend the half day I did looking at the accounts and finances of SPL teams, particularly the bottom half of it, astounding figures. Moving from Rangers to Derby would be a step up for Gerard, a greater challenge and a much, much higher standard of football with a reasonable chance of Premier League football in the near future. As you say, if offered it he probably wouldn't take it at this time as he hasn't done that well up there yet and wants to try and prove himself.....maybe in a couple of years he might, but it might turn out that he is a bit of a Bryan Robson, great player, poor Manager....time will tell....

43 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Don't worry, I do understand Scottish football, I have done hours of research on it to counter a deluded Rangers friend during our 9 point season. What surprised me most from my research was that the SPL is more dire than even I thought it was. I really suggest you spend the half day I did looking at the accounts and finances of SPL teams, particularly the bottom half of it, astounding figures. Moving from Rangers to Derby would be a step up for Gerard, a greater challenge and a much, much higher standard of football with a reasonable chance of Premier League football in the near future. As you say, if offered it he probably wouldn't take it at this time as he hasn't done that well up there yet and wants to try and prove himself.....maybe in a couple of years he might, but it might turn out that he is a bit of a Bryan Robson, great player, poor Manager....time will tell....

By the sounds of it you do not know Scottish Football at all. You have looked at the finances, so in what way do you understand the Scottish game? That’s the issue you think its all about money, however we saw Aberdeen do not too badly V Burnley. To say its league 1 standard tells me you haven’t watched our game at all. We send boys who can’t get a game to league 1 clubs on loan and they do well. How many teams in League 1/championship sides would reach ANY European group stages given the chance (do you guys know what champions league/europa league is? I can explain, i’m sure you don’t have much experience there). Your very own waghorn couldn’t kick his arse in the top flight of our league, you guys also had Johnny feckin Russell as a star man not so long ago, so lets not try and degrade it as L1 standard.

You have players like Ryan Kent and Sheyi Ojo knocking back Championship teams to come up north. Players coming from PSG, City etc. We might not get the money the championship is but we would definitely give you a game... i’m sure i’ll be back in a few weeks ?

Just now, RFCWATP said:

By the sounds of it you do not know Scottish Football at all. You have looked at the finances, so in what way do you understand the Scottish game? That’s the issue you think its all about money, however we saw Aberdeen do not too badly V Burnley. To say its league 1 standard tells me you haven’t watched our game at all. We send boys who can’t get a game to league 1 clubs on loan and they do well. How many teams in League 1 would reach ANY European group stages (do you guys know what champions league/europa league is? I can explain, i’m sure you don’t have much experience there). Your very own waghorn couldn’t kick his arse in the top flight of our league, you guys also had Johnny feckin Russell as a star man not so long ago, so lets not try and degrade it as L1 standard.

Oh come on, that was Aberdeen's game of the season against a Burnley side basically running through their pre season routine, let's not pretend Sean Dyche wouldn't have won the octuple quadruple or whatever Celtic are on by now if his Burnley side were playing up there (with Burnley's PL budget of course!). Neither Ojo or Kent were outstanding in the Championship.

There are a handful of passable teams in the SPL but from fourth and downwards there's not much difference between Burton Albion vs AFC Wimbledon - so it does account for the majority of the games.

53 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Seems a little obsessive but ok... I wouldn’t expect the finances to be any good as the tv fights won’t be worth much due to the quality of the bottom teams. Rangers aren’t one of those though and have a much stronger squad than teams below championship level. You’d be deluded to think we’re a bigger club than rangers are. Derby would certainly be a harder job for gerrard, but not a step up imo- he’s in Europe up there, take a while to get Derby there! So there’s no chance he’d jack rangers in for us... as we’ve just seen with the reports he’s turned us down! I think he’s already proving himself up there, and imo will have as good a managerial career as Lampard will.

6 minutes ago, Kennington Ram said:

Oh come on, that was Aberdeen's game of the season against a Burnley side basically running through their pre season routine, let's not pretend Sean Dyche wouldn't have won the octuple quadruple or whatever Celtic are on by now if his Burnley side were playing up there (with Burnley's PL budget of course!). Neither Ojo or Kent were outstanding in the Championship.

There are a handful of passable teams in the SPL but from fourth and downwards there's not much difference between Burton Albion vs AFC Wimbledon - so it does account for the majority of the games.

Okay and I must have missed Wigan, Reading, Rotherham etc setting world football alight. Our top 4 teams would dismantle your bottom half. The tail end of the season splits the bottom from the top in Scotland, so you only play the “harder” teams at the run-in. The league is far from competitive however it’s teams are not L1 standard, even Kilmarnock are in Europa next season ffs. 

8 minutes ago, RFCWATP said:

By the sounds of it you do not know Scottish Football at all. You have looked at the finances, so in what way do you understand the Scottish game? That’s the issue you think its all about money, however we saw Aberdeen do not too badly V Burnley. To say its league 1 standard tells me you haven’t watched our game at all. We send boys who can’t get a game to league 1 clubs on loan and they do well. How many teams in League 1/championship sides would reach ANY European group stages given the chance (do you guys know what champions league/europa league is? I can explain, i’m sure you don’t have much experience there). Your very own waghorn couldn’t kick his arse in the top flight of our league, you guys also had Johnny feckin Russell as a star man not so long ago, so lets not try and degrade it as L1 standard.

You have players like Ryan Kent and Sheyi Ojo knocking back Championship teams to come up north. Players coming from PSG, City etc. We might not get the money the championship is but we would definitely give you a game... i’m sure i’ll be back in a few weeks ?

Most of your league is league 1 standard. Celtic could probably compete at the bottom end of the Prem. Rangers maybe could compete for a Championship playoff spot. Then most of the time everyone else is lower Championship and below quality. Johnny Russell was never "star man", but he was well liked by the fans.

Derby havent qualified for a proper European tournament in 40 years and yet our record in the European Cup is still better than Aberdeens.

Europa league qualifiers are a joke. Virtually every team in the Championship bar maybe Ipswich (and even then im not so sure) would be in with a good chance of getting through them.

7 minutes ago, RFCWATP said:

Okay and I must have missed Wigan, Reading, Rotherham etc setting world football alight. Our top 4 teams would dismantle your bottom half. The tail end of the season splits the bottom from the top in Scotland, so you only play the “harder” teams at the run-in. The league is far from competitive however it’s teams are not L1 standard, even Kilmarnock are in Europa next season ffs. 

The co-efficient says it all though, coming in at a mighty 20th, several points behind Cyprus. Loads of teams get to be in Europe, doesn't mean they're any good.

39 minutes ago, RFCWATP said:

Just explain one thing to me....how do the bottom half of teams in the SPL who have budgets, resources and stadia of National League teams in England put out better teams than National League teams?

21 minutes ago, RFCWATP said:

Kilmarnock are in the Europa League due to the qualifying criteria, not because they are any good...wasn't one Conor Sammon top scorer in the SPL for them...speaks volumes....

33 minutes ago, RFCWATP said:

Johnny Russell was certainly star man Dundee United, not so much here spent a lot of time on the bench bar 13/14.  Ryan Kent was on loan at Bristol City and didn't play .   Derby have had some good players from the SPL but the only on capable at  premiership level in the last 25 years was Christian Dailly,  possibly Bryson -once again 5 years ago .   The Europa league is dirge as all the decent teams who played in  it  now play in the champions league .  I would expect us to do pretty well in it.  Max Lowe was Aberdeens star man this year .  He can't get a game here .  Waghorn 44 goals in 78 games and turned down a new contract so that statement was really correct.

5 hours ago, David said:

I would like to think we have done that so far.

I know I have personally merged several of what you would call personal opinions on the situation topics into the main Lampard and the Chelsea job, a topic which was initially compiled from 3/4 topics previously on the forum over the links to the job.

If we feel a topic is focusing on one area be it replacement suggestions, possibility of John Terry or disrespect shown by the media, this is fine.

As with any possible managerial change you have several lines of discussion which you can’t really contain to just one topic with the number of members we have wanting to voice their opinions.

To be fair outside of this it’s pretty quiet and not a great deal to talk about with the players on holiday and no transfer rumours to chew on. 

The reason i added a new topic was that i considered this to be substantially different to the "wishlist" topic. which is based on nothing more than wishful thinking and personal opinion.

If something specific from someone i respect shares it with me then that is far more interesting (although may be not as much fun) and i think worth sharing on here, albeit the shortlist will evolve over the next few days i am sure.

Already though it appears that Gerrard was/is on it and that Bowyer was not.  So its been pretty consistent already.

Anyway it gives the cynics and keyboard warriors something to whinge about too

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Johnny Russell was certainly star man Dundee United, not so much here spent a lot of time on the bench bar 13/14.  Ryan Kent was on loan at Bristol City and didn't play .   Derby have had some good players from the SPL but the only on capable at  premiership level in the last 25 years was Christian Dailly,  possibly Bryson -once again 5 years ago .   The Europa league is dirge as all the decent teams who played in  it  now play in the champions league .  I would expect us to do pretty well in it.  Max Lowe was Aberdeens star man this year .  He can't get a game here .  Waghorn 44 goals in 78 games and turned down a new contract so that statement was really correct.

Then Cristian Daly came to rangers and was an absolute bombscare, I guess footballs a funny old world eh. 

As for Lowe being star man, also incorrect. Their “star” man Signed a pre-contract with you... he would get nowhere near our squad. Lowe done nothing of note against us, and i’m bewildered as to why Gerrard is seemingly interested in him  

Waghorn’s 44 goals came the majority in the championship and below on our way back up - against teams I would consider worse than non-league... so yes my point still stands, Waghorn couldn’t kick his own arse in the Scottish top flight. 

17 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Kilmarnock are in the Europa League due to the qualifying criteria, not because they are any good...wasn't one Conor Sammon top scorer in the SPL for them...speaks volumes....

Conor Sammon has never been a top goal scorer in the SPL, in fact he’s consistently been one if the biggest doughnuts north of the border, and his club history tells you that. 

12 minutes ago, RFCWATP said:

Conor Sammon has never been a top goal scorer in the SPL, in fact he’s consistently been one if the biggest doughnuts north of the border, and his club history tells you that. 

I think you will find at the time when Derby were first linked with him in 2011, at the time he was the leading scorer in the Soggie Pants League, during the season, not at the end of it.....

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think you will find at the time when Derby were first linked with him in 20111, at the time he was the leading scorer in the Soggie Pants League, during the season, not at the end of it.....

I’ll reiterate my statement, Conor Sammon has never been the top goal scorer in the SPL. 

16 minutes ago, RFCWATP said:

I’ll reiterate my statement, Conor Sammon has never been the top goal scorer in the SPL. 

Are you acting dumb on purpose? He hasn't been top scorer at the end of the season but early on in the season when we were linked with him he was the current top scorer AT THAT TIME.....you haven't responded to my simple question how do the bottom half of SPL clubs who have finances, resources and stadia on a par with National League teams put out better teams than these equivalent National League teams?

Archived