The Shortlist...

1 hour ago, minesahartington said:

Word on the street is that these are on the list 

Hughton,Gerrard, Arteta, Phelan, Thierry Henry! and Wildcard Warnock...

If they are the options, it has to be Chris Hughton. I would be OK with that, always thought he was a good manager in both ch'ship and PL. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well for starters gerrard is at a club levels bigger than ours, absolutely no chance of that one. Warnock wouldn’t leave Cardiff for us either, and Henry would be mental after his nightmare at Monaco. No chance of any of them coming here before you even look at their respective merits you wouldn’t think. Would love gerrard and he seems to have the right philosophy but like I say, no chance. Warnocks a good manager and I’d have him here based on his record, but his style of football would put me off anyway. And Henry is just laughable. No chance of any of them. As such, can’t imagine this being the shortlist we’d draw up.

So, in terms of the ones there’s actually a chance of, I’d probably only say yes to hughton. Doubts over his style of play make me concerned but it’s not always been bad so who knows- question for an interview certainly. Other than that his record speaks for itself and he’d be right up there in terms of options for me so would be happy to see him brought in for a chat at least. Phelan and arteta on the other hand are both elite level number 2s... but as we know from clement that doesn’t always work as the main man. So both would be too risky for me, particularly phelan who’s already had a crack and not succeeded. Arteta May be more worth the risk.

10 hours ago, Archied said:

Isn’t there already a thread for next manager?

Not to criticise the mods, as I think they do a very good job overall, but I would have merged/locked a lot of the Lampard merry-go-round based threads into one mega thread. There are a lot of posters starting their own threads with their "hot takes" presumably because they think their viewpoint is all important and they don't want to risk it getting lost, but too much of the main hub of the forum is being taken up by one topic which, as of now, is paper talk; there hasn't even been a (confirmed) approach / meeting.

1 hour ago, Yojimbo said:

Not to criticise the mods, as I think they do a very good job overall, but I would have merged/locked a lot of the Lampard merry-go-round based threads into one mega thread. There are a lot of posters starting their own threads with their "hot takes" presumably because they think their viewpoint is all important and they don't want to risk it getting lost, but too much of the main hub of the forum is being taken up by one topic which, as of now, is paper talk; there hasn't even been a (confirmed) approach / meeting.

I would like to think we have done that so far.

I know I have personally merged several of what you would call personal opinions on the situation topics into the main Lampard and the Chelsea job, a topic which was initially compiled from 3/4 topics previously on the forum over the links to the job.

If we feel a topic is focusing on one area be it replacement suggestions, possibility of John Terry or disrespect shown by the media, this is fine.

As with any possible managerial change you have several lines of discussion which you can’t really contain to just one topic with the number of members we have wanting to voice their opinions.

To be fair outside of this it’s pretty quiet and not a great deal to talk about with the players on holiday and no transfer rumours to chew on. 

Just now, David said:

I would like to think we have done that so far.

I know I have personally merged several of what you would call personal opinions on the situation topics into the main Lampard and the Chelsea job, a topic which was initially compiled from 3/4 topics previously on the forum over the links to the job.

If we feel a topic is focusing on one area be it replacement suggestions, possibility of John Terry or disrespect shown by the media, this is fine.

As with any possible managerial change you have several lines of discussion which you can’t really contain to just one topic with the number of members we have wanting to voice their opinions.

To be fair outside of this it’s pretty quiet and not a great deal to talk about with the players on holiday and no transfer rumours to chew on. 

Fair enough, I’m sure you have merged some stuff that I haven’t noticed (due to the time difference I’m rarely on her at what I would imagine are key posting times).

I certainly can see you point regarding topics which are more focused on specific aspects rather than the issue as a whole, though I think 8 out of the top 10 are related to the Lampard saga - though I guess, as you say, there is little else to talk about.

would be nice for Derby to have a quiet summer for once!

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Have I missed something? What's this the shortlist for?

It’s for when all the IFs align. 

IF Chelsea want Lampard, IF they make an official approach, IF Mel allows talks to happen, IF Lampard agrees to join them and IF Jody leaves with him

IF all that aligns we would need a new Manager

i know, a lot of IFs right! And yes mate I know you know all that ?

10 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Well for starters gerrard is at a club levels bigger than ours, absolutely no chance of that one. Warnock wouldn’t leave Cardiff for us either, and Henry would be mental after his nightmare at Monaco. No chance of any of them coming here before you even look at their respective merits you wouldn’t think. Would love gerrard and he seems to have the right philosophy but like I say, no chance. Warnocks a good manager and I’d have him here based on his record, but his style of football would put me off anyway. And Henry is just laughable. No chance of any of them. As such, can’t imagine this being the shortlist we’d draw up.

So, in terms of the ones there’s actually a chance of, I’d probably only say yes to hughton. Doubts over his style of play make me concerned but it’s not always been bad so who knows- question for an interview certainly. Other than that his record speaks for itself and he’d be right up there in terms of options for me so would be happy to see him brought in for a chat at least. Phelan and arteta on the other hand are both elite level number 2s... but as we know from clement that doesn’t always work as the main man. So both would be too risky for me, particularly phelan who’s already had a crack and not succeeded. Arteta May be more worth the risk.

Gerard at a club level bigger than ours??? He aint at Liverpool anymore, he is at Rangers in the pub league.....and finished a poor second in a 2 horse race....

15 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Gerard at a club level bigger than ours??? He aint at Liverpool anymore, he is at Rangers in the pub league.....and finished a poor second in a 2 horse race....

Rangers are still a much bigger club that us as it stands, regardless of being in a poor quality league. He’s only just started the job of catching up to Celtic and they’re getting closer, no chance in hell he leaves that now.

33 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Rangers are still a much bigger club that us as it stands, regardless of being in a poor quality league. He’s only just started the job of catching up to Celtic and they’re getting closer, no chance in hell he leaves that now.

Gerard is not stupid and will see the SPL for what it is...the 39th ranked league in Europe is it, half the teams with the equivalent budget, stadia and resources of National League teams in England? A move to a team like Derby, challenging for a place in the Premier League, a standard of football teams in Scotland can never reach, would be something he would be working towards and maybe ready for in a couple of years, if he starts doing better that is. Hasn't pulled up any trees yet. The fact that Neil Lennon is the Manager of the Champions of the SPL, speaks volumes...no team in the top 2 divisions in England would touch him....

Hughton - I would be happy with this

Gerrard - love it but can't see it

Arteta - The pick of this bunch for me

Phelan - no thanks

Henry - Hate him

Warnock - not a chance, love the character, but anti football for me

Of those I have heard but not on this list - I am intrigued and think Eustace would do a good job, always seemed to be an intelligent player while he was here.

But for me I would take a punt on Frank Lampard - I know he has only had one season, and we might struggle to get him - but what a coup!!!

38 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Gerard is not stupid and will see the SPL for what it is...the 39th ranked league in Europe is it, half the teams with the equivalent budget, stadia and resources of National League teams in England? A move to a team like Derby, challenging for a place in the Premier League, a standard of football teams in Scotland can never reach, would be something he would be working towards and maybe ready for in a couple of years, if he starts doing better that is. Hasn't pulled up any trees yet. The fact that Neil Lennon is the Manager of the Champions of the SPL, speaks volumes...no team in the top 2 divisions in England would touch him....

It’s not a strong league but I’m sure gerrard is smart enough to know he can boost his rep there without having to do too much work. Don’t think it’s quite national league level mind, it’s league one at worst. Why would gerrard jump ship for Derby when he can hang on, prove himself by catching up to Celtic, and get a job straight in the prem without having to mess about with trying to get us up which seems an impossibility. If you think he’s done a poor job so far than clearly you don’t understand the gap between rangers and Celtic that he took over facing, its slowly starting to close now. Naturally he’s not proven himself for a top job yet, but he will do if he’s carries on there imo by virtue of his name more than anything if he does a decent job... he’s above dropping down to us now. No one would touch Lennon because he’s already been down here and failed, gerrard doesn’t have that particular record.

Archived