The Shortlist...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Not strictly true. The club have, it would seem, offered him an extended contract to encourage him to stay. Beyond that, I'm not sure what more they can do publicly. 

What else do you think they could be doing or saying? Sack him for not committing to the club? Issue a list of replacements the club are considering "just in case"?

I mean, Morris essentially did this to McClaren....

17 hours ago, RFCWATP said:

Waghorn’s 44 goals came the majority in the championship and below on our way back up - against teams I would consider worse than non-league... so yes my point still stands, Waghorn couldn’t kick his own arse in the Scottish top flight. 

Just checked his career stats.

In the Scottish Premier League he averaged a goal every 4.5 games. 

In his non Rangers career he has averaged a goal every 4.3 games.

Read into that what you will.

11 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Prefer Frank and team to stay, but surely the aim is the Premier League. To achieve that we need a manager who has done it before and Chris Hughton would be ideal. Has the personality, contacts and experience and good with the media.

Not tall enough.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

But does that make it right? Is that something you'd like to see or think Mel should do? If the answers no then I repeat, what else could they do?

Oh goodness, no. Not at all. If it were up to me, McClaren wouldn’t have been sacked even though we had made a complete pig’s ear of that campaign - it started the “hire’n’fire” run that left us in the FPP shaped hole we’re in now. I was being flippant and just saying it’s not something Morris doesn’t have previous in, though it does seem he is much more level headed over football matters now than he was even just three years ago.

On 17/06/2019 at 23:48, Millenniumram said:

Well for starters gerrard is at a club levels bigger than ours, absolutely no chance of that one. Warnock wouldn’t leave Cardiff for us either, and Henry would be mental after his nightmare at Monaco. No chance of any of them coming here before you even look at their respective merits you wouldn’t think. Would love gerrard and he seems to have the right philosophy but like I say, no chance. Warnocks a good manager and I’d have him here based on his record, but his style of football would put me off anyway. And Henry is just laughable. No chance of any of them. As such, can’t imagine this being the shortlist we’d draw up.

So, in terms of the ones there’s actually a chance of, I’d probably only say yes to hughton. Doubts over his style of play make me concerned but it’s not always been bad so who knows- question for an interview certainly. Other than that his record speaks for itself and he’d be right up there in terms of options for me so would be happy to see him brought in for a chat at least. Phelan and arteta on the other hand are both elite level number 2s... but as we know from clement that doesn’t always work as the main man. So both would be too risky for me, particularly phelan who’s already had a crack and not succeeded. Arteta May be more worth the risk.

Definitely think Gerrard would fancy it big time! No offence to Scottish supporters but how bored can you get in that league..... He’d jump at it without a shadow of a doubt.

I’ve not commented on a replacement as, has rightly been said, Lamps is STILL OUR MANAGER. I’d prefer him to remain our man at the helm. But the only name that excites me is Gerrard. We shall see!! 

6 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

I mean, Morris essentially did this to McClaren....

ultimately wasn't it because Mac lost focus culminating in the home loss to Reading on the final day which we meant we missed out on the payoffs?

32 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Definitely think Gerrard would fancy it big time! No offence to Scottish supporters but how bored can you get in that league..... He’d jump at it without a shadow of a doubt.

I’ve not commented on a replacement as, has rightly been said, Lamps is STILL OUR MANAGER. I’d prefer him to remain our man at the helm. But the only name that excites me is Gerrard. We shall see!! 

He really wouldn’t. Not exactly an interesting division but an easy job to get your name out, wouldnt leave unless to the prem. You’re right tho as I’ve said previously that it’s not the time really to discuss replacements until we get that official approach... until the Lampard remains in full command, and it would be preferable he stays there for continuity purposes. Gerrard would certainly excite me but there are other names out there too, we’ll see who ends up linked.

1 hour ago, SKRam said:

So you've not commented on a replacement but you have commented on Gerrard. Does that mean you don't see Gerrard as a replacement? Just asking for a confused friend. 

49 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He really wouldn’t. Not exactly an interesting division but an easy job to get your name out, wouldnt leave unless to the prem. You’re right tho as I’ve said previously that it’s not the time really to discuss replacements until we get that official approach... until the Lampard remains in full command, and it would be preferable he stays there for continuity purposes. Gerrard would certainly excite me but there are other names out there too, we’ll see who ends up linked.

Isn't Gerrard's record at Rangers very poor, hasn't he got a worse win % than any other Gers Manager in the last 5 years or so???? He doesn't excite me at all......the next Bryan Robson maybe???

1 hour ago, SKRam said:

To be honest if gerrard would jump ship 1 year in after buying players and making commitment for next season then I don’t want him

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Isn't Gerrard's record at Rangers very poor, hasn't he got a worse win % than any other Gers Manager in the last 5 years or so???? He doesn't excite me at all......the next Bryan Robson maybe???

Took rangers to second place which is the limit anyone could have expected given Celtic’s dominance so done a decent job as far as I can tell. He’ll have a lower win percentage because most the other rangers managers have managed in the lower divisions where they dominated like Celtic in the top tier, not a reflection on his managerial abilities at all. Could be a decent manager, could not be, but evidence so far says towards the former. A harder job will probably show more about him.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Took rangers to second place which is the limit anyone could have expected given Celtic’s dominance so done a decent job as far as I can tell. He’ll have a lower win percentage because most the other rangers managers have managed in the lower divisions where they dominated like Celtic in the top tier, not a reflection on his managerial abilities at all. Could be a decent manager, could not be, but evidence so far says towards the former. A harder job will probably show more about him.

53% win rate in that awful league...even worse than the dreadful Caixinha at 53.85. Murty, Warburton, McCoist and Smith all have much better records. Granted he has done slightly better than Stuart McCall did......his record certainly doesn't excite me...…...

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

53% win rate in that awful league...even worse than the dreadful Caixinha at 53.85. Murty, Warburton, McCoist and Smith all have much better records. Granted he has done slightly better than Stuart McCall did......his record certainly doesn't excite me...…...

Still second place... and a lot better than most Derby manager win rates..,

Those all had better records cause they managed in lower leagues, much easier with rangers money down there. I’d be delighted if we appointed him, but like I say, it isn’t going to happen.

Archived