Some advice for Mel

Gringo

9 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

And if you want to go around giving in on every negotiation you will end up asking people do you want fries with that.

No ones saying give in on every negotiation (I’ve moaned enough on here about us not getting enough in transfer fees for the likes of the Hughes deal if you look closely). I’m just saying there’s no need to turn things nasty and piss off potential future customers if you’ve already got want you want/are entitled to- the 4m. If they weren’t willing to pay that then of course absolutely hold out like they did with juve, but since it looks like they are how’s about we keep things civil to give us a hope of getting Tomori back and others on loan hey?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The only advice Mel needs is not to read forums or internet rumours.

Spot on. He knows what he is doing in business and at the end of the day this is business.

if Frank goes we should not jeopardise the potential flow of their young players to us.

we should have the money that’s in the contract (£4m) and wish him well and part of very good terms 

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

No need for this to turn nasty, Lampard has conducted himself excellently as manager here, so we should be just as respectful if he wants to leave. Works both ways,

He’s under contract, he has no right to leave even if he wants too. So he should be respectful to the organisation who gave him a chance and a contract. 

4 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

He’s under contract, he has no right to leave even if he wants too. So he should be respectful to the organisation who gave him a chance and a contract. 

Very true, but we have to live in the real world. If Frank wants to go and we agree a mutually acceptable compensation fee then there really is no benefit in keeping him. Why would we want a manager who feels he has lost his dream job.

Also I am sure that if Frank goes, we will benefit in being given first choice on potential loanees.

I really hope he says to Chelsea I want the job. But I am not ready yet, and as a matter of loyalty I feel I can't walk away from Derby for the trust and chance they have shown in me.

Am I a dreamer …………………….. only time will tell

10 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Hence why nothing can happen until Derby grant Chelsea permission to speak to him, which is in turn Derby granting Lampard permission to leave if he wants to; assuming compensation is agreed upon.

Now if, hypothetically, Derby were to refuse Chelsea's advances and Lampard then threw a hissy fit; I would grant you that's disrespectful. But I don't think that's likely (Derby refusing Chelsea), and simply moving on is not showing us any disrespect.

Still think he's staying though ? 

8 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

He has no right to leave no, but it’s not exactly going to be conducive to success holding someone who wants to leave (quite understandably to a much bigger job) here against their will. I’m sure Lampard will be being respectful to Derby and his contract throughout this by continuing his job in the mean time and understanding that if Chelsea don’t pay up then he can’t enter talks with them. But respect works both ways so if chelsea do pay up (which they will) then we should allow Lampard the chance to at least talk about the possibility of his dream job, he may not even take it yet! But it’s fair to give him that chance to talk about it imo if he’s considering it,

11 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

Wrong about the compensation for Sarri, contractually it was £5m Chelsea actually negotiated £8m according to Usa press, they want something we have got we need to stand firm, we are in the right.

You might be right.

However Chelsea were losing an experienced manager who had got them to 3rd place in the top UK league (arguably the best league in the world).

Behind 2 clubs who ran away with it.

So best of the rest.

He also managed to get them into the Champions league (effectively twice).

So you suggest we should hold out for more for a manager that got us to the championship play off final? Good luck with that one

11 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

The Chelsea CEO Marina Granovskaia, played hardball with Juventus refusing to give in until Chelsea got a very significant compensation payment, Mel should similarly play the same game as her and refuse to give permission for talks until there is also a very significant payment agreed. The figure of £4m mentioned will hardly compensate for the situation of losing a manager this close to the new season, Lampard is under contract and we have no obligation to allow anybody permission to talk to him.

Mel stand firm do not do a Theresa May.

I have to say, I would not have had Jacob Rees-Mogg down as a Rams fan. Still, welcome to the forum, Jake.

This whole thread is pretty funny, to be honest - successful multimillionaire businessman, Mel Morris, who has somehow managed to worm his way around FFP etc. to the point where Steve Gibson is having hot sweats in his sleep just thinking about it, requires advice on how to stand firm in a negotiation. And, somehow, the indirect insinuation appears to be that if he does not, he is showing the business nous of a McDonald's employee.

Everything you read (and, believe me, I've tried not to read too much of the drivel that's being bandied about) comments on how Mel and Derby have been astute in including the clauses into FL's contract that allow us to take more in compensation.

I am, perhaps, about to blow my own cover but I do work in business and do have some understanding of negotiations. I fear that, what I'm about to say, might see me deemed fit for the deep fat fryer, but still:

If Derby have put the relevant clauses into FL's contract, then the most we can extract from Chelsea is £4million. Chelsea only 'held firm' over Sarri because Juve were trying to chance their arm and see if they could get away with paying less than the £5.3million that was in his contract. Contracts, although they are often dismissed, do actually mean something - it is not for Mel to come up with some pie in the sky figure and charge Chelsea for it. It will already be in black and white.

By all accounts, Chelsea are more than happy to pay the £4million, so I am perplexed as to what Mel needs to 'stand firm' for:

Mel: Alright, Marina - I understand that you want Frank, but let me tell you now, this is gonna cost ya.

Marina: How much are we talking, Mel.

Mel: You might want to sit down for this. And try not to choke on your coffee. But £4million. Do you think that multibillionaire Roman can afford that?

Marina: No problem, Mel - we're happy to pay it.

Mel: Let me tell you this, I am not going to let you pull the wool over my eyes - I won't be accepting a penny less.

Marina: Don't worry, we'll pay you in full.

Mel: I've seen your sort before. I've told you once, and I'll tell you again, it's £4million. You'd have to get up pretty early to get the better of me.

Marina: Mel, £4million is in your account now.

Mel: You bloody chancer. I am standing firm, Marina. Not a penny less than £4million. You're not going to beat me down on this one.

Okay, so the above illustrates that I have too much time on my hands. But, also, Mel is not as mad the the gumps like to say. We can 'stand firm' as much as we like. But by all accounts, Chelsea are not playing hard ball with us. So I don't quite get your point?

Still, what do I know? I'd better get back to work - those fries aren't going to serve themselves!

14 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

The Chelsea CEO Marina Granovskaia, played hardball with Juventus refusing to give in until Chelsea got a very significant compensation payment, Mel should similarly play the same game as her and refuse to give permission for talks until there is also a very significant payment agreed. The figure of £4m mentioned will hardly compensate for the situation of losing a manager this close to the new season, Lampard is under contract and we have no obligation to allow anybody permission to talk to him.

Mel stand firm do not do a Theresa May.

How is this relevant to Dismay's mishandling of Wrecksit?

9 hours ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Very true, but we have to live in the real world. If Frank wants to go and we agree a mutually acceptable compensation fee then there really is no benefit in keeping him. Why would we want a manager who feels he has lost his dream job.

Also I am sure that if Frank goes, we will benefit in being given first choice on potential loanees.

I really hope he says to Chelsea I want the job. But I am not ready yet, and as a matter of loyalty I feel I can't walk away from Derby for the trust and chance they have shown in me.

Am I a dreamer …………………….. only time will tell

More chance of some one winning euro millions and saying,didn't mean to pick those numbers so thinks it's unfair of me to take £123 million quid have it back and I will try my luck next week.?

6 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

How is this relevant to Dismay's mishandling of Wrecksit?

Because she threw away her strongest card of no deal, thus rendering all future negotiations useless. Our strongest card is to say you cannot talk to Lampard unless you come with a sensible offer, and NO £4m is not a sensible offer

Just now, Asheville Ram said:

Because she threw away her strongest card of no deal, thus rendering all future negotiations useless. Our strongest card is to say you cannot talk to Lampard unless you come with a sensible offer, and NO £4m is not a sensible offer

How much would we get and how much would Chelsea risk, if they appointed him without talking to us?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

How much would we get and how much would Chelsea risk, if they appointed him without talking to us?

They cannot appoint him whilst he is under contract to DCFC we would take out an injunction to stop it and damages would be open ended

It seems to me that MM has more cash than the rest of us combined, generally you don’t get that by been unable to understand how these things work. Would imagine he is well down the list of potentials already. Keep believing COYR 

Although i think chelsea will make a formal approach soon, this does feel a bit like when we waited and waited for newcastle to make a formal approach for schteve.

they didn't want to pay and so waited until we sacked him.

could something similar be happening again? Maybe Roman doesn't want to shell out £4m. 

Archived