Bury FC.

Shaker01

15 minutes ago, GenBr said:

If they let the current owner buy the club it would have to be the literal reincarnation of Adolf Hitler for them to turn a new one down and even then I think they'd be willing to give him a second chance.

ducking ridiculous isn’t it, absolute joke of a regulation. Protecting clubs my arse...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad times.

My main reflection is, if football is an entirely commercial endeavour, we're going to have to get used to businesses failing. Or, rather, we can't collectively go on pretending clubs won't or can't be allowed to go to the wall.

I feel for Bury fans, and it puts losing a league cup match into perspective.

The only good I can see coming out of this whole affair is it might put some focus on the non-commercial aspects of football clubs and just maybe highlight that it's worth protecting that as a public good. Although i suspect it'll be lip service whilst business types get on with playing with their train sets before trying to get out and stiff the creditors.....

Always horrible. Thankfully rare .  I wouldn't wish this for any club including our mates down the A52.  Sad when you think of generations of supporters following a team then it disappears.  Always had a respect for supporters in that Greater Manchester area who follow Bury, Oldham etc  as it would be easy to head off to old Trafford or Maine road . Hopefully, they can reform in some capacity and we will see them again .  

On 23/08/2019 at 16:55, GenBr said:

Did you not read the second part of the text you quoted? We could balance the books if we wanted to, but we don't because we are gambling trying to get promoted. If it turns out that Mel doesn't have enough money to cover these losses year after year and we then go the way of Bury then yes we are extremely inept.

Derby County is only ok as long as we have an owner who is willing and able to cover the overspend. A succession of Bury FC owners have made mistake after mistake and have run the club extremely poorly in their quest to get promoted - unfortunately for them it turns out their owners are unwilling or unable to cover the costs any longer. To run any business over a number of years making loss after loss is unsustainable and there is absolutely no reason why football teams should be held to any other standards that every other business is held to.

Well said.

Have you heard the interview with Steve Dale on Radio 5 Live:

’the fans needs to not do anything silly and show themselves up when they’re full of beer.’

’I don’t go to bury, I never have done, so avoiding it won’t be a problem for me.’

’I didn’t even know there was a football club called bury, I’m not a football fan.’

how the duck does he pass the test?!?

13 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

’the fans needs to not do anything silly and show themselves up when they’re full of beer.’

’I don’t go to bury, I never have done, so avoiding it won’t be a problem for me.’

’I didn’t even know there was a football club called bury, I’m not a football fan.’

yeah he said that last week - outrageous behaviour.

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

There was also something in the news about one of his relatives (sister in law?) buying some of the CVA debt and wanting to sell it for £70k? And this from the last prospective buyers:

Here's what C&N Sporting Risk's Rory Campbell and Henry Newman had to say, after they pulled out of their deal to takeover Bury last night.

"We realised there were more and more complexities over a longer period time," Campbell said.

"A number of areas – an example would be the stadium – there are a number of charges on the stadium as well as leases, which after we were granted the relevant documents it opened up a web of problems in terms of the long term sustainability of the stadium as a whole.

"It was not specifically around the cost – now is not the time to get into commercial matters – but it was the asset of the stadium, which we were looking into. Publicly you can see there are charges and leases which mean the overall ownership of the ground would have been much more difficult."

Reports last night said that various people had come forward with claims/mortgages on the stadium and even the car parks  - seems that the potential new owners couldn't get to the bottom of what they were actually going to own after the take-over - no way they could go through with it.

Also heard one report that various of the club's assets had allegedly been sold off to companies owned by the chairman and his family during the previous few weeks (though that may just be gossip). Dale has denied that he is an asset stripper, but it's hard to see what other reason he had for owning them in the first place....

7 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

The EFL are continuously missing when it comes to vetting club owners

Apparently 43 out of 51 of businesses he owned have been liquidated . You don't need to be an accountant or hotshot lawyer to work out that he may not be the best custodian  of a football club. Sounds to me like he should be behind bars instead.

I wonder if there are grounds for legal action against the football league for neglect. They have clearly not done due diligence of Steve Dale in their fit and proper test, being as though Bury as a club pay into the football league, and this service is part of what they are paying for, they have, in my opinion, questions that should be answered, and whilst the real cancer here is Dale, the FL are not blameless.

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I wonder if there are grounds for legal action against the football league for neglect. They have clearly not done due diligence of Steve Dale in their fit and proper test, being as though Bury as a club pay into the football league, and this service is part of what they are paying for, they have, in my opinion, questions that should be answered, and whilst the real cancer here is Dale, the FL are not blameless.

I find it laughable that the reason Dale was allowed to swan in and do what he did was because the EFL won't subject perspective owners to the Fit & Proper tests during a league season.   How funkin ludicrous is that!!!  Due to the fact that the Fit & Proper tests have been shown to be inadequate on a number of occasions, they must take some of the blame for all this...

9 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I find it laughable that the reason Dale was allowed to swan in and do what he did was because the EFL won't subject perspective owners to the Fit & Proper tests during a league season.   How funkin ludicrous is that!!!  Due to the fact that the Fit & Proper tests have been shown to be inadequate on a number of occasions, they must take some of the blame for all this...

I don' want to say anything in support of EFL but had they refused him and Bury had still gone don't you think they would incur more criticism?  I know feel dirty for saying something that could be deemed supportive of EFL

5 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Is there a way that bury can still be a team in some way?? 

they can create a new team called the New Bury and start at the bottom again but all their records are gone.  They wont hold the record for the largest FAC win but we retain the biggest defeat!

38 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Is there a way that bury can still be a team in some way?? 

Technically speaking they are still a team now, but they cant again play until next season and it will be in non league. I expect the owner to sell all the assets and disband the club in the near future though. There is nothing stopping the fans forming a new Bury club right now if they had the resources.

Archived