Suggestions for the next Derby manager

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

He is hard done by, but I can remember not warming to him at all when he was in charge. He had a sort of smug, David Brent persona to him that I didn't like, and he didn't come across great in interviews from what I remember (just my personal opinion).

Also...Rotherham was bad. Really bad. And I know Shackell was in the wrong for swearing at him, but for me that just showed he had no respect from the players at all. Who would want to come and play for Darren Wassell? I don't know. I think bringing in Harry Redknapp to "advise" him was weird, too. Just indicated that he wasn't good enough to do it on his own.

TBF it was in the days before I had RamsTv and although I saw the Hull games, that was about it.

Some people just look smug even when they aren't.

Trump looks smug, but I hear he is a warm, caring, and compassionate human being who prefers his staff to call him Uncle Donnie and loves hamsters and other assorted rodents.

He's probably been mentioned, but is Paul Simpson ready for another go?

He should have his ear to the ground in terms of players to grab on loan.

Plus, I would have thought that winning the World Cup would have some players looking to send their up and coming players to learn under him.

Page 69 and no one has suggested the stand out candidate!

Sexy football?

Charisma?

Witty and well liked within football?

Has shown little doubt he'd love the job previously?

Ugly enough not to get poached?

Come on down Ian Holloway, your numbers come up!

I get the feeling something big is going to happen. 

We're either going to get a real exciting manager 

Or FL is going to talk to Chelsea but turn it down.

I still wouldn't put the latter beyond the bounds of possibility. He's a PR machine and this early in his career he could lay down a huge statement re Loyalty.

There has to be a reason Mel has agreed to go on Talksport.

What about Benitez? I know some might think that’s crazy.... but... he did choose to stay at Newcastle whilst in the championship. Benitez would also have total control of all operations at the club, something he wanted at Newcastle. We also have a top class academy. Surely we are an attractive option. For me, he would have an opportunity to be a legend in the game if he took the role of manager at Derby as I think a mid table premiership finish should be the 3rd year target....unless he has been tempted to go for the money in China.

1 minute ago, wombatram said:

What about Benitez? I know some might think that’s crazy.... but... he did choose to stay at Newcastle whilst in the championship. Benitez would also have total control of all operations at the club, something he wanted at Newcastle. We also have a top class academy. Surely we are an attractive option. For me, he would have an opportunity to be a legend in the game if he took the role of manager at Derby as I think a mid table premiership finish should be the 3rd year target....unless he has been tempted to go for the money in China.

£40k per week or £500k per week?? Which one would you take?

Ah, our annual managerial guessfest.

Darren Moore getting some mentions here - my understanding is that West Brom had a shared managerial approach last year with Moore in charge of the defence and Graeme Jones in charge of the attack. On that basis, Jones did a very good job and Moore a pretty poor one - hence I get why Moore was shown the door. I do not think Moore is good enough to be our manager & I would be reluctant to put any stock on any previous Derby connections - its immaterial.

Danny Cowley is the bookies favourite - nice guy, intelligent & very impressive managerial record to date. Unfortunately his Lincoln team demonstrate physical, direct, agricultural lower division football at its worst. He would instantly alienate a significant proportion of Derby fans with his style and would be totally ill-suited to the players we have on our books. It'd be a disaster.

We're in a transition period still with some expensive players cleared off the wage bill & some talented young players waiting to step up. We need an experienced head with a track record of playing decent football - almost a Jim Smith type character who will build the squad sensibly. On that basis, I'm not that keen on going down the route of well known recent ex-player - I would have made an exception for Lee Bowyer based on his impressive start at Charlton though.

Nigel Adkins would be my number 1 pick - always rated him and the style of his teams. Although Reading and Sheffield Utd weren't great, many of the players Adkins worked with at Sheff Utd formed part of Chris Wilder's promotion team a year later. Southampton and Scunthorpe were exceptional jobs, Hull was very good.

Chris Hughton I'm on the fence with. A lovely guy with a fantastic record - he's more of a pragmatist than many would like & I wonder how motivated he would be to tread the same Championship > Premier League path, having done it a few times before (and then ultimately been sacked every time).

10 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

He's probably been mentioned, but is Paul Simpson ready for another go?

He should have his ear to the ground in terms of players to grab on loan.

Plus, I would have thought that winning the World Cup would have some players looking to send their up and coming players to learn under him.

Been out of club management for best part of 10 years and his record is mixed to say the least....

Archived