Suggestions for the next Derby manager

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Personally think Mel will go for Darren Moore, he probably wants someone who will be here for the long term for stability and who the fans can identify with. That was probably the plan appointing Rowett , although as Birmingham fans would tell you, Rowett wasn’t the most loyal person. I’m not saying it would be the right appointment, but simply who I think Mel will go for. 

Mel will go for the person he sees most likely to win promotion with Derby County. I don't think he will be too concerned about long-term stability. We had Gary Rowett and still didn't manage it. I think providing we lose a manager and gain a compensation package rather than lose a manager and another big chunk of money, he'll be happy. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Why would Campbell get interviewed off a decent season in league two when there are plenty of good managers that have been at Championship or similar level already? 

Why did we interview Lampard then?

14 minutes ago, Andicis said:

And then he had a full season after that, which was the main season I was addressing. Burton's record was better under Hasselbaink than Clough that season Burton were promoted, but you don't like citing part way through season take overs do you. It was a widely held opinion at the time, and Wilder hasn't done a bad job since he got hold of that squad that Clough failed with. If you really think only coming 5th with Sheffield United in league one is a good job, I don't know what to tell you.

What are you smoking? I don't like citing part way through the season takeovers?!?

As I've said you're entitled to your 'opinion' and its just that an opinion. You've clearly got an issue with Clough, and that's fine with me! As i said I'm not banging his drum, but he gets lots on negative crap from people who are clearly more qualified to run a football team than him, and I oppose that view. When you've taken a non league team into the football league (I also appreciate what he did for our club), I'd be more inclined to agree with your view. 

As someone has already stated, it doesn't matter who gets picked as the next manager (although he hasn't gone just yet!), it will almost definitely polarise the fans again. The merry-go-round starts up and people start shouting 'opinions' at each other.

Not on here to fall out with anyone Andicis, people get very emotional over stuff which is out if their control, because its the club we love! It's being messed with by the media, ex-players, friends and family of our current Manager (unless that's changed whilst I've been typing this).

I've said this before, I want a manager that's going to hang around, try and play attractive football and grow with the club. Appreciates the opportunity they have been given an no want to jump ship when a bigger shinier one comes along.

23 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Mel will go for the person he sees most likely to win promotion with Derby County. I don't think he will be too concerned about long-term stability. We had Gary Rowett and still didn't manage it. I think providing we lose a manager and gain a compensation package rather than lose a manager and another big chunk of money, he'll be happy. 

It’s the Derby way 

1 minute ago, papa_lazarou said:

You've clearly got an issue with Clough, and that's fine with me!

No, I just don't think he's very good.

What are you smoking? I don't like citing part way through the season takeovers?!?

Well you took issue with me citing his Sheff United job, saying that he failed there as you said he took over part way through, same as his Burton promotion.

When you've taken a non league team into the football league

Haha, so I have to become a football manager to give my opinion? Frankly, the most laughable thing you've said so far.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

I wouldn't say they had an array of superstars, but they did seem tactically a little bit inept, we ripped them to shreds when we played at their place. Would say the positives to Moore are he does try and play football in the right way.

In fairness we still beat them fairly easily even without Moore. Lampard wasnt exactly a tactical expert either. I wouldnt be overly excited by Darrens appointment, but i would give him a fair chance.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

He would be unreal, but it's ridiculously unrealistic. 

He turned down £6m a year to manage Newcastle in the Premier League. He's apparently got £12m-a-year offers in China on the table. We could make him the highest paid manager ever at this level, which is a title he probably holds anyway, and still fall several million short. 

Phillip Cocu would be a great option if we were going to throw money at it. I believe he was on roughly £2.5m a year at Fenerbache which was five times more than what he was earning at PSV. If we could give him that £2.5m we were going to give Lampard, plus the £8m promotion bonus we were reportedly giving Gerrard then we would end up with a better manager than both. 

He was on £5mill per year when Newcastle were in the Championship. As i said previously in this thread imagine it doesnt work out after a year and we had to get rid but couldnt afford to pay off the rest of the contract.

You would think there would be dozens of talented European managers out there who arent paid all that much even in their countrues top divisions. Must be someone we could take s shot at ( if we are considering international managers that is).

3 minutes ago, papa_lazarou said:

I've said this before, I want a manager that's going to hang around, try and play attractive football and grow with the club. Appreciates the opportunity they have been given an no want to jump ship when a bigger shinier one comes along.

We'd all love that but the manager who fits that doesn't exist - They'd need to be a passionate Derby fan

Eddie Howe v2 is what we all want - But if he got offered a bigger job he'd leave Bournemouth - He already did once

Your Nigel Clough points are very valid - He gets a lot of grief which is undeserved - We played some good football under him and he brought in and developed some real talent - But (for me) across several clubs now he's proved to be way too cautious in his play - I still think the only difference between his side and Macca1 that first season was giving the players a bit more confidence and freedom to play - NC was well known for having a pop at players when they lost the ball trying something interesting - That plus his unwavering loyalty to a backroom staff which was by all accounts fairly bang average

37 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

If FL does join Chelsea, then I’d have to agree with the appointment of Chris Hughton. 

Actually think we're lucky that a manager of Hughton's calibre is available. 

But I think Morris will try for Gerrard, who I think will stay at Rangers.

Then we'll end up with Darren Moore 

2 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Actually think we're lucky that a manager of Hughton's calibre is available. 

But I think Morris will try for Gerrard, who I think will stay at Rangers.

Then we'll end up with Darren Moore 

parks and recreation sigh GIF

10 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Articulate, intelligent, and allegedly with arm twisting by Redknapp. Campbell isn't as intelligent as Lampard, or as likeable.

I agree.

Spoilt a bit with Lampard in that he was very likeable. Whoever we get next there will be a divide of opinion as to whether they're liked or not.

Archived