Suggestions for the next Derby manager

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Still should be wassell for me....the best win rate in recent years when he took over a few years ago,would cost us nowt, which would leave money to spend on the squad,knows the club and the academy inside out and had the under 23's playing in the same style as the first team so we would have some continuity.

I know everyone wants a shiny big name but its got us nowhere,so why not promote from within,esp as darren has several years more experience under his belt.

the office no GIF

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Andicis said:

People have rose tinted glasses because he did a decent job on a tight budget, ignoring he had the biggest club in league one in Sheff United and failed to do anything with them. He's a good manager for a bottom half club on a budget, if you want to challenge at the top, Clough isn't the man.

I'd go and check on what he did with them:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Sheffield_United_F.C._season

If you still have the same opinion, you're entitled to it. Again he took over a club in trouble and did a pretty decent job, 'in my opinion'.

...and before I get shot for being a fan boy, I'm not banging the bring back Nigel drum. I just think he got a rough deal and is much maligned and its not justified.

4 minutes ago, papa_lazarou said:

If you still have the same opinion, you're entitled to it. Again he took over a club in trouble and did a pretty decent job, 'in my opinion'.

...and before I get shot for being a fan boy, I'm not banging the bring back Nigel drum. I just think he got a rough deal and is much maligned and its not justified.

they were in a low position simply cos David Weir was clueless. If you want to see someone turn a club around, have a look at Roy Keane at Sunderland, they were in REAL trouble!

1 minute ago, papa_lazarou said:

Sheff United didn't even finish in the playoffs, and below a bunch of clubs that are way smaller than them. The next season, they finished 5th, despite having the biggest club, best squad and budget. They were 20 points behind automatics and 18 off 3rd. How is that acceptable for a club the size of Sheffield United in league one? It isn't. That's why he was fired. If he can't get a club that size out of league 1, he isn't getting us out of the Championship.

1 minute ago, secretsquirrel said:

For every Id love ... ...there's a counter post with Not for me.Mel will be criticized whoever he appoints so good luck finding the unifying candidate.

He should appoint Pulis so we can all be unified in our dismay at the appointment

Disappointed Lampard has decided to leave us after one season - can't help but wonder whether he'd have been offered the Chelsea job if we hadn't beaten West Brom to confirm that 6th place. 

Anyway, the thought of going to PP on 10th August and the possibility of having any one from a list of Moyes, Pullis, Monk, Big Dave, the Cowleys, Wassall, Giggs, Coleman and Sol Campbell in charge fills me with dread.

All this upheaval has come at a dreadful time - the good-manager cupboard is almost bare. Given our current squad, the style most fans want to see us play, an extremely tight budget, the importance of having good contacts at some of the top PL clubs with access to potential loans and importantly the need (yet again!!!) for stability within all elements of the club, then our choice is extremely limited.

Putting the way he set up his team last season as a case of 'needs must' and a one-off out of necessity then my choice is Chris Hughton.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

they were in a low position simply cos David Weir was clueless. If you want to see someone turn a club around, have a look at Roy Keane at Sunderland, they were in REAL trouble!

Point taken, but it still doesn't change the fact what he (Nigel) did. What Roy did for the purpose of my rebuttal is irrelevant.

31 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Because most managers in world football only really have one style of play, regardless of the players they have. Hence why Rowett's style was exactly the same from Birmingham to Derby, he even wouldn't play Will Hughes.

Danny Cowley is a hoof ball manager, we don't have the squad to play his style of play, so it's more logical he'd want to change all of our playing staff, therefore we have another 2 years of rebuilding dross. Whereas if we get a footballing manager, we have a decent base for them to work off. 

You forgot to mention he is also a winner ,so would be no good for Derby

1 minute ago, Seaside Sam said:

You forgot to mention he is also a winner ,so would be no good for Derby

Come off it, style of play is an entirely relevant argument, Pulis has won things, you want him? Some people fit at some clubs, some don't. I personally believe Cowley wouldn't fit in at Derby.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Sheff United didn't even finish in the playoffs, and below a bunch of clubs that are way smaller than them. The next season, they finished 5th, despite having the biggest club, best squad and budget. They were 20 points behind automatics and 18 off 3rd. How is that acceptable for a club the size of Sheffield United in league one? It isn't. That's why he was fired. If he can't get a club that size out of league 1, he isn't getting us out of the Championship.

But he did do with a club with less resources, he also took over the Blades part way through a season. You cant use the size of the club as a definitive right to be promoted or be in a certain division, and how can you qualify they had the best squad..?? Its an opinion! You've got plenty of clubs, us included who would argue we are in the wrong league based on 'size' of club. It's a pointless argument either way. 

Bearing in mind what someone said a few days back about Mel's ongoing attempts to bring in Investment, don't rule out a Gerrard, Terry or similar appointment.  They bring a certain cache with them that would undoubtedly support attempts to address that challenging task.  

1 minute ago, papa_lazarou said:

But he did do with a club with less resources, he also took over the Blades part way through a season. You cant use the size of the club as a definitive right to be promoted or be in a certain division, and how can you qualify they had the best squad..?? Its an opinion! You've got plenty of clubs, us included who would argue we are in the wrong league based on 'size' of club. It's a pointless argument either way. 

And then he had a full season after that, which was the main season I was addressing. Burton's record was better under Hasselbaink than Clough that season Burton were promoted, but you don't like citing part way through season take overs do you. It was a widely held opinion at the time, and Wilder hasn't done a bad job since he got hold of that squad that Clough failed with. If you really think only coming 5th with Sheffield United in league one is a good job, I don't know what to tell you.

Personally think Mel will go for Darren Moore, he probably wants someone who will be here for the long term for stability and who the fans can identify with. That was probably the plan appointing Rowett , although as Birmingham fans would tell you, Rowett wasn’t the most loyal person. I’m not saying it would be the right appointment, but simply who I think Mel will go for. 

Archived