Suggestions for the next Derby manager

On 16/06/2019 at 13:07, David said:

Todd, Gregory, Clough, McClaren, month of Powell, Rowett and the ultimate fairy tale of them all, the return of McClaren, have we not got this ex player back to take us to glory out our systems yet?

Think the first checkbox on the application form should be never played for the club. If unticked, application rejected.

Except we know, Sir, that Simmo is an outstanding coach from his previous stint here; and he's a World Cup winner who has shown himself to be very articulate, and is very media savvy. I also know from personal experience that R vd L is an outstanding coach, and a great leader and very intelligent bloke. Those qualities are the boxes I tick first; the connections with Derby County, is merely an added bonus in this case. It is not Sir, a case of "Oh he's a former player, lets have him". Being a former player Sir, in my book is a sine qua non...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dcfcjames said:

Fabrizio Ravanelli just been seen coming out of Frankie and Benny’s with Mel 

That's just because he's still picking up paycheques from his playing days

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Do you seriously think he could get us up? I think he did a good job for us but this is not a role suited to his skill set IMO.

People have rose tinted glasses because he did a decent job on a tight budget, ignoring he had the biggest club in league one in Sheff United and failed to do anything with them. He's a good manager for a bottom half club on a budget, if you want to challenge at the top, Clough isn't the man.

7 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

This is the first time I’ve checked into this thread. Has anyone suggested Stimac yet? If you have, go and take a long, hard look at yourself in the mirror and consider where it all went wrong.

It was 1995. My Dad took me to the Baseball Ground for the first time. We won 3-0. Paul Simpson scored a hat-trick.

It was looking like the perfect day and then we went to KFC rather than the Chinese takeaway.

#JohnnoIn

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

This is a bit disingenous, when most people could tell you that Gayle is bloody good for the Championship, was never quite strong enough for the Premier League, similar to Vydra, too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Prem.

I agree - I was just making the point that WBA didn't have an array of superstars to call upon. In fact, I'd back the majority never to see the light of day in the Premier League ever again. They have a decent amount of quality for a Championship side and Moore did a good job to make them as competitive as they were IMO. 

Just now, Ambitious said:

I agree - I was just making the point that WBA didn't have an array of superstars to call upon. In fact, I'd back the majority never to see the light of day in the Premier League ever again. They have a decent amount of quality for a Championship side and Moore did a good job to make them as competitive as they were IMO. 

I wouldn't say they had an array of superstars, but they did seem tactically a little bit inept, we ripped them to shreds when we played at their place. Would say the positives to Moore are he does try and play football in the right way.

2 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

It has to be Benitez!

He would be unreal, but it's ridiculously unrealistic. 

He turned down £6m a year to manage Newcastle in the Premier League. He's apparently got £12m-a-year offers in China on the table. We could make him the highest paid manager ever at this level, which is a title he probably holds anyway, and still fall several million short. 

Phillip Cocu would be a great option if we were going to throw money at it. I believe he was on roughly £2.5m a year at Fenerbache which was five times more than what he was earning at PSV. If we could give him that £2.5m we were going to give Lampard, plus the £8m promotion bonus we were reportedly giving Gerrard then we would end up with a better manager than both. 

3 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Hughton would be my number one choice, but Gerrard would be exciting for the exact same reason Lampard was. I honestly can’t call which direction we’re heading 

Hughton all day long for me....

Still should be wassell for me....the best win rate in recent years when he took over a few years ago,would cost us nowt, which would leave money to spend on the squad,knows the club and the academy inside out and had the under 23's playing in the same style as the first team so we would have some continuity.

I know everyone wants a shiny big name but its got us nowhere,so why not promote from within,esp as darren has several years more experience under his belt.

Archived