Sign in to follow this  
SuperDerbySuperRams

Suggestions for the next Derby manager

We need to look outside the box of usual suspects. Hughton seems fine but not particularly inspiring, Wassall not at all inspiring. The recent Championship manager's that really brought something different Wagner, Farke, (Bielsa, Potter even though didn't get promotion) came from abroad and were able to find players outside of Scotland. Know nothing about him but Mike Tullberg from Dortmund II worth a look, they seem pretty astute.

Hughton will be an inspired choice if he wins us promotion. More inspiring than Lampard, Rowett, Pearson,McLaren, Wassall and Clough and Jewell were!

Wagner and Farke were inspired choices though both have benefitted from their Director of Football who was able to find good players at reasonable prices.

Derby need some luck. We can't carry on being a nearly team. Holding the record for the most appearances in the play-offs isn't much fun!

1 hour ago, Mr. Mick L White said:

The recent Championship manager's that really brought something different Wagner, Farke, (Bielsa, Potter even though didn't get promotion) came from abroad

Wilder, Smith, Johnson, Lampard, Dyche, Howe, Hughton...

7 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Wilder, Smith, Johnson, Lampard, Dyche, Howe, Hughton...

I’d agree with Wilder creative system good recruiting - Smith took over a very strong  Aston Villa team that spent well in January.  Wouldn’t want Dyche for his style. Johnson flatters but hadn’t really done anything. Howe is a good English manager - there are always exceptions but one the whole I think good creative young manager from a foreign league would bring some new ideas and energy especially if they can continue with pressing high energy style Frank has seeded the squad. Also the ability to look at foreign leagues for affordable talent is something key at our level. 

Posted (edited)

Well there’s only 3 things in a season. Promotion, relegation or nether. 

As long as we get a Manager that doesn’t get us relegated they won’t do any worse than any other in the last decade.

just give me entertaining football without relegation and I will be happy

Edited by EnigmaRam

Posted (edited)

Another name for the hat, Barnsley manager David Stendl.

His young team played some great football last year in league one and brought through a lot of youth.

His average points per game over his managerial career is 1.85, for context Lampard is 1.63.

He’d be a good cultural fit for the club based on his style of football and playing young players.

Edited by Jonesy90

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

We are not that young anymore as it stands !

True. Average age now @26

But the task is still to turn the academy sprogs into first teamers and hopefully to bring in some more good young players.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Good thread this on twitter,  think it lays bare how snobbish we have become and how high expectations are now. Wassall would be a decent appointment. Like the cut of this guys jib. 

I'd rather we kept him in the academy where he's been working wonders for us. Seems like an unecessary risk to take, especially when we've seen what he can do in his previous spell and it wasn't very impressive.

Edited by lrm14

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

That would be brilliant and don’t underestimate the mess the Blades are in.

What mess? He's just got them up, why would he leave for us. Is it rocky behind the scenes?

Edited by philmycock
Spelling. Sausages for fingers.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, philmycock said:

What mess? He's just got them up, why would he leave for us. Is it rocky behind the scenes?

Ownership battle, awaiting judgement from the high court as to who Owns what 

Edited by Sparkle

2 minutes ago, philmycock said:

What mess? He's just it them up, why would he leave for us. Is it rocky behind the scenes?

Yes nobody knows who owns which bit of the club, and at present that means no incoming transfers.

44 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

I'd rather we kept him in the academy where he's been working wonders for us. Seems like an unecessary risk to take, especially when we've seen what he can do in his previous spell and it wasn't very impressive.

Funnily I think that could be Mel's fallback position to get us through pre season. If Frank gets up and just leaves.

1 hour ago, Jamielowe34 said:

Anyone else open to the idea of Stevie Mac making a return, Personally id welcome him with open arms. 

Absolutely...........

NOT!!!!

2 minutes ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

Yes nobody knows who owns which bit of the club, and at present that means no incoming transfers.

Even in that situation, why would you leave your hometown club after guiding them to the Premier League? 

Daz Waz did a good job in all honesty. We had high expectations of the team he had, but with hindsight we should have been absolutely battered by that Hull City side in both legs. They arguably had the best team in the division, certainly when you look at it now. He managed to a 50% win ratio which isn't to be knocked. I personally wouldn't want him, but I wouldn't be close minded to his appointment. I would say the same for McClaren. 

I think there is a lot of good choices out there that means we won't hire either, as I said earlier: Hughton is a great fit for us currently. I can't think of one draw back of hiring him and he's consistently produced at this level. 

11 minutes ago, Jonesy90 said:

Even in that situation, why would you leave your hometown club after guiding them to the Premier League? 

Chris Wilder is very ambitious and has served long apprenticeship in management and whilst it is great achievement (being the club he has supported as a boy.) I know he won't be too happy at not being able to strengthen his current squad.