Suggestions for the next Derby manager

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

You want to watch your team trying to "grind out results"? 

Go back and watch his teams that have been promoted from this division. Anyone saying he plays percentages like Rowett et al is just lazy based on how he managed Brighton this season - a very different prospect. He’s an astute manager with an excellent record who adapts to the strengths of his team, just what we need especially when he’ll only have about 4 days to sign players when this Lampard situation is finally sorted!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Good thread this on twitter,  think it lays bare how snobbish we have become and how high expectations are now. Wassall would be a decent appointment. Like the cut of this guys jib. 

I'm with you, but don't think I want it to happen as I know how many utter divs we have as fans who can't see past one game. It wouldn't end well.

The Rotherham collapse was terrible but the fact we were 3-0 up away from home playing delightful football for 80 mins is totally glossed over. They also don't consider for one second that Wass made have learned from any errors he made that day.

These divs seem incapable of recognising, or are totally prepared to forgive, some of the dross performances churned out last season. But oh no, not with Wass, "we can't appoint him because of well Rotherham away innit".

?

51 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Good thread this on twitter,  think it lays bare how snobbish we have become and how high expectations are now. Wassall would be a decent appointment. Like the cut of this guys jib. 

Watch out mate. That bloke is known to smash up his laptop at 3am.

11 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I'm with you, but don't think I want it to happen as I know how many utter divs we have as fans who can't see past one game. It wouldn't end well.

The Rotherham collapse was terrible but the fact we were 3-0 up away from home playing delightful football for 80 mins is totally glossed over. They also don't consider for one second that Wass made have learned from any errors he made that day.

These divs seem incapable of recognising, or are totally prepared to forgive, some of the dross performances churned out last season. But oh no, not with Wass, "we can't appoint him because of well Rotherham away innit".

?

Maybe an ideal opportunity to get rid of said divs? 

13 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Go back and watch his teams that have been promoted from this division. Anyone saying he plays percentages like Rowett et al is just lazy based on how he managed Brighton this season - a very different prospect. He’s an astute manager with an excellent record who adapts to the strengths of his team, just what we need especially when he’ll only have about 4 days to sign players when this Lampard situation is finally sorted!

Fwiw. He's done ok. But i would prefer someone younger and more charismatic to develop this young team. 

22 hours ago, doheochai said:

Just posting my tuppence worth -

Chris Hughton is a very under-rated manager (just as he was a player). 

He was coveted as a first team coach when at Spurs and after he was let go when Spurs decided on a clear-out when they sacked Jol. He did a terrific job at Newcastle first as coach and then as manager taking them from the Championship to the PL and then got sacked when they were in the top 10 because Ashley wanted a 'world-class' manager - hiring Alan Pardew. 

It is rumoured that Hughton had more than a dozen job offers as assistant manager in the PL after he was sacked by Newcastle. Instead he took his time and became Birmingham manager - with no money and in the Championship - he got the team to the group stages of the Europa League and 4th in the Championship. 

He was then appointed manager of Norwich and in his first season they finished 11th in the PL. The following season Norwich struggled. In April the Norwich board panicked after a defeat to WBA and sacked Hughton when Norwich were five points above relegation with five games to play. Norwich got 1 point from the last five games and were relegated. Hughton was adamant that he would have kept Norwich up,

He took over at Brighton in December 2015 when they were 22nd in the Championship. The following season he led them to 3rd and then a year later to 2nd and automatic promotion. Brighton finished 15th in the PL and then 17th last season as well as an FA cup semi-final (Brighton were in a worse situation than Norwich last season and Hughton got them out of it).

In five seasons in the PL Hughton has not been relegated as manager - in five (full or part) seasons in the Championship he has saved a club from relegation and finished 1st (with 102 points), 4th, 3rd and 2nd, winning two automatic promotions.

The step up from Championship to PL is massive - it takes years for a promoted club to build a squad capable of sustaining PL status - Bournemouth, Burnley and Watford have taken years (with a few hiccups and relegations along the way). These days a promoted club needs to spend up to £100million a year on transfers just to stand still and hope to consolidate. Like all promoted teams - Brighton struggled for want of a striker - you cannot rely on a 35 year old to score enough goals. But Brighton did not buy well last off-season and Hughton did not have control over player transfers - the Brighton brain-trust using Bloom's gambling metrics invested in players they thought could develop and sell-on for big money. Hughton did what he had to do to prevent relegation - and he succeeded.

The average lifespan for a PL manager since 1992 is 91 games (and this figure is grossly distorted by Ferguson, Wenger and Redknapp). Hughton has managed for 164 PL games. More than 60% of all PL managers only ever manage one club in the PL - Hughton has managed 3 clubs in the PL.

There is an utter misconception that Hughton is a defensively minded coach who parks the bus - this is false - a look at his teams at Newcastle and his teams in the Championship who have all played attacking free-flowing football. Hughton was able to do this in the PL with Newcastle because he had the players at his disposal. But, as I said, the step-up from the Championship is massive - and getting bigger every season. Hughton's job was to get Brighton promoted and to keep them there - he succeeded in doing so for two full seasons. 

Often owners and fans develop unrealistic expectations about their club when they get promoted - not realising that it is a massive job just to stand still and avoid relegation. This has happened at Brighton - the assumption that you can make incremental progress in the second season in the PL (when it is actually a very dangerous season for promoted clubs) and thereafter - and that you can play expansive attacking football. To survive you need speed and you need at least one goalscorer who can net 15+ goals and a second one that can get 10. I think Brighton made a massive blunder in sacking Hughton. Potter might work out for them - but in my view he has an inflated reputation (particularly from his time in Sweden). If Potter attempts to play the football he played at Swansea then Brighton will get destroyed in the PL next season - then it comes down to whether Potter knows how to grind out results. 

Hughton is probably the top available option for Derby and Derby should gab him if they get the chance - the real question is whether he would want the job. He's 60 now and spent 4 1/2 years getting Brighton to the PL and keeping them there. Would he want to go through that process again only for an owner to get an inflated view of where the club is at and sack him. It is likely that 2-3 manager will be sacked during the next PL season and all of the clubs will probably give Hughton a call knowing that he can grind out results and keep teams from being relegated. He would then get another shot at a full season in the PL with PL standard players in the squad and money to buy players.

Well I’m convinced!

I think we all make mistakes in our professional careers it is just a matter of learning from them. If Frank is not our manager next season then i think we should give Darren a second chance...he knows the club inside out . He knows the youth setup like no one else..and .he knows the way Derby fans want to see the team play. 

5 minutes ago, superzak said:

I think we all make mistakes in our professional careers it is just a matter of learning from them. If Frank is not our manager next season then i think we should give Darren a second chance...he knows the club inside out . He knows the youth setup like no one else..and .he knows the way Derby fans want to see the team play. 

It's alright promoting Wassall but with the appointment all ambition goes out if the window. Derby are one of the biggest clubs in the Championship we should be attracting top talent off the field and in the dugout. 

36 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Fwiw. He's done ok. But i would prefer someone younger and more charismatic to develop this young team. 

Fair point. I’ve said it before Alex Neil of those we know in the UK would probably be my first choice but probably difficult to get. 

A bit older but I’m intrigued by Labbadia now following the baggies links. He could be a good shout.

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

It's not exactly ambitious though is it? It'd be a solid enough appointment, I wouldn't be annoyed if it happened, but I certainly wouldn't be inspired. Didn't Wassall get a baby sitter in Redknapp last time he was in the role? 

20 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's not exactly ambitious though is it? It'd be a solid enough appointment, I wouldn't be annoyed if it happened, but I certainly wouldn't be inspired. Didn't Wassall get a baby sitter in Redknapp last time he was in the role? 

not got the pull to attract signings and/or our case loan signings. - which we need. We just lost 3 great ones

least somebody like Hughton et al would be able to do that

18 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Effectively didn't he have the role on trial until the end of the season and after a few poor results 'arry was brought in as some sort of mentor. 

In fact wasn't it after rotherham away and the subsequent uproar? 

He was unfairly pilloried for being too happy-clappy by some. He was inexperienced after all. But did get us to the playoffs and then got replaced by Pearson. 

I would be prepared to give him another go.

45 minutes ago, Andicis said:

He got that because of how we reacted to Rotherham 

Wassall would be a great candidate to blood our own youngsters which may turn out brillaintly like it has done for norwich but we will need to be able to attract top championship players too which is one reservation I have with Wassall

28 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

Wassall would be a great candidate to blood our own youngsters which may turn out brillaintly like it has done for norwich but we will need to be able to attract top championship players too which is one reservation I have with Wassall

Thats a good point. Unlikely to have such good links to top academy's either.

But still.....reinforces the notion of a Derby Way...

Of the managers available I would go for Chris Hughton provided Chelsea will give us some help with decent loan players as part of the Lampard deal.Gaz Monk appears to be in difficulty with his transfer dealings and agent. Jokanovic has gone to Qatar and Terry is untested.

26 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Thats a good point. Unlikely to have such good links to top academy's either.

But still.....reinforces the notion of a Derby Way...

But his reputation as an U23 coach may mean other cubs would see he might improve their youngsters.

Archived