Suggestions for the next Derby manager

1 minute ago, Duwayne said:

If we're promoting through within, What about Justin Walker? Done absolute wonders with the youth team, albeit a huge step up, he'll know which players are the dogs nuts..

I think the first team would be a big risk, but in this hypothetical where Wassall becomes first team manager I'd imagine Walker would take over the U23s. So still a promotion.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

I thought that you weren't allowed to manage a top-tier team in a european country without it? So I'm astounded Gerrard didn't have it. Must be some special paperwork you can do if you know the timeline for getting it.

You need it if you want to manage in the Prem or one of the European competitions (Europa League or Champions League), so not really an issue for Frank. Don't know if you need it for the Scottish Prem, but I assume Rangers were in some kind of European competition last year? In either ase you can also receive special dispensation to manage as llong as you are working towards the qualification.

54 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Haha.

It was the reason Darren sent us out to get hammered by Hull in the playoffs. He'd got us playing again and reclaimed our place in the playoffs, then realised if we got promoted he wouldn't be qualified for the job, so flunked it. ? 

Now he's qualified he's in position to take us to Champions League glory during the Wassall dynasty, where Ethan becomes our 15 year captain!

Is that why Frank decided not to play a striker in the playoff final?

I'd happily take Wassal as manager again - only bettered by Mac1 & 2 in terms of win rate in recent years.

Cant understand why people are up for Chris Hughton. Decent guy but at one point last season Brighton went 6 games without a goal & hardly a shot on goal - havent we learnt after Gary R.

Why not the Cowley Brothers - in 3 years at Lincoln they got 2 promotions & EFL Trophy.

3 minutes ago, weedram said:

Cant understand why people are up for Chris Hughton. Decent guy but at one point last season Brighton went 6 games without a goal & hardly a shot on goal - havent we learnt after Gary R.

Why not the Cowley Brothers - in 3 years at Lincoln they got 2 promotions & EFL Trophy.

No-one going to mention that the Cowley Brothers play the exact same kind of football if not worse than Rowett?

Hughton was in the Prem last season - hardly surprising his team struggled. They played some good stuff against us when they played us off the park in their promotion season.

Sith Happens
12 minutes ago, weedram said:

Derby were 4th highest goal scores under Rowett.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Came in in an awkward situation with very high expectations, after a shakey start did OK with help from 'arry.

if only he'd ignored redknaps suggestion to play barely fit Bradley Johnson v Hull and not played Thorne against Ipswich...

Not to mention that was a long time ago. Ultimately we can keep playing the managerial merry go round (I know this hasn't always been our fault) or we can keep the internal club spirit and employ a guy who "gets it". Gets the dressing room and isn't dealing with too bloated a squad as he was last time.

And lets not overlook that his Pro licence makes him a very qualified chap. More qualified than many managers on the merry go round. I don't see that as a pointless bit of paper, I put a fair bit of stock in that.

Haven't seen many better realistic suggestions.

41 minutes ago, weedram said:

BFEBA87C-C7E7-4CC8-AAB4-BB2A7A28874B.gif

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Why are people suggesting Adkins...totally underwhelming to say the least....

Why? I've always rated him tbh.

11 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Why are people suggesting Adkins...totally underwhelming to say the least....

Very underrated in my opinion

knows the championship, has a promotion, plays a good brand of attacking football, is available, is cheap 

the other options aren’t exactly exciting ( I would even take Mac3 if somehow we became Mac1 )

23 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Very underrated in my opinion

knows the championship, has a promotion, plays a good brand of attacking football, is available, is cheap 

the other options aren’t exactly exciting ( I would even take Mac3 if somehow we became Mac1 )

But nowhere near what Hughton has achieved surely ?

Archived