Suggestions for the next Derby manager

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Taribo said:

....pre-emptive of any Sol Cambpell comments, that's not a particularly diverse list is it

I think that the EFL have agreed that every manager appointment process must include the interview of at least one BAME candidate - Sol Campbell, Hughton and probably Darren Moore plus, maybe, Michael Johnson, would match both the BAME and (varying) experience qualifications.  Can't think of anyone else in the UK.

6 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I think that the EFL have agreed that every manager appointment process must include the interview of at least one BAME candidate - Sol Campbell, Hughton and probably Darren Moore plus, maybe, Michael Johnson, would match both the BAME and (varying) experience qualifications.  Can't think of anyone else in the UK.

Paul ince and his wife.

Has to be Hughton. Didn't think Brighton would amount to much when Sammi Hypia left. They were squandering in at the bottom end of the championship. But Hughton built a spine and took them into the prem playing great football.

Once your in the prem it's a different story, but if we are looking to rebuild a team that wants to be challenging, Hughton's your man!

Half-reading back through this thread, I can't help but draw similarities between the suggestions of Hughton to those of Nigel Pearson several years ago.

Back then, we were a team with great potential but just not able to get over the line when it mattered. What we needed was a manager who could do that - someone who had been there, done it and got the t-poo. It didn't matter that his playing style was completely at odds with ours because that pales into insignificance when it comes to getting promoted. Pearson was a no-nonsense proven winner at this level and he'd whip us into shape.

Fast forward three years and that paragraph sounds awfully familiar. I just feel that the calls for Hughton do just the same. And we saw how that ended up.

I'm not saying that Hughton would be a bad choice - and, if appointed, he may well get us up. But, frankly, have we learned nothing from the last few years? I don't believe its the lack of continuity of our managers that has got us into the mess we're in - its the lack of a coherent strategy about who/what we are. It's the lack of continuity about styles - the constant chopping and changing.

Hughton would come in and would want to play a different way. I do feel that we would see a few more industrial type players in the squad. And what say we don't go up and we want to change it all again.

I don't see Hughton as the answer. I am not prepared to throw away the style and the attacking possession based football that we've clearly worked hard towards just to gamble on promotion based on the fact that this appointment is 'the right appointment' (just like the past 7 appointments have been the right appointment).

Call be stupid or naive but I value the way we play and ensuring continuity of that at the same level that I value the results. It just so happens that I think that the results, longer term, will be better with a better brand of football. Last season we finished 6th - the year before we finished 6th. But, out of the two, which season will be look back on and actually remember fondly?

Hughton might be proven winner at this level but I want us to go for something different. He's not the answer for me.

And this isn't a criticism of anybody who has suggested him. Because, you know what, quite what is the answer, I genuinely have no idea.

But what I do know is that it must be properly boring to support a club that doesn't do this year in, year out. If I was a Burnley fan, what on earth would I have to browse on their forum all day whilst pretending to be busy at work?!

5 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Has to be Hughton. Didn't think Brighton would amount to much when Sammi Hypia left. They were squandering in at the bottom end of the championship. But Hughton built a spine and took them into the prem playing great football.

Once your in the prem it's a different story, but if we are looking to rebuild a team that wants to be challenging, Hughton's your man!

Hughton was my early favourite if Lampard goes, but then I remembered the last time Derby went down the route of an experienced manager in Nigel Pearson.

His credentials are wonderful, but Derby have a clear way of working by effectively employing ‘head coaches’ rather than ‘managerial’ type managers. 

I cant see the chemistry between Hughton and the board working.

30 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

Half-reading back through this thread, I can't help but draw similarities between the suggestions of Hughton to those of Nigel Pearson several years ago.

Back then, we were a team with great potential but just not able to get over the line when it mattered. What we needed was a manager who could do that - someone who had been there, done it and got the t-poo. It didn't matter that his playing style was completely at odds with ours because that pales into insignificance when it comes to getting promoted. Pearson was a no-nonsense proven winner at this level and he'd whip us into shape.

Fast forward three years and that paragraph sounds awfully familiar. I just feel that the calls for Hughton do just the same. And we saw how that ended up.

I'm not saying that Hughton would be a bad choice - and, if appointed, he may well get us up. But, frankly, have we learned nothing from the last few years? I don't believe its the lack of continuity of our managers that has got us into the mess we're in - its the lack of a coherent strategy about who/what we are. It's the lack of continuity about styles - the constant chopping and changing.

Hughton would come in and would want to play a different way. I do feel that we would see a few more industrial type players in the squad. And what say we don't go up and we want to change it all again.

I don't see Hughton as the answer. I am not prepared to throw away the style and the attacking possession based football that we've clearly worked hard towards just to gamble on promotion based on the fact that this appointment is 'the right appointment' (just like the past 7 appointments have been the right appointment).

Call be stupid or naive but I value the way we play and ensuring continuity of that at the same level that I value the results. It just so happens that I think that the results, longer term, will be better with a better brand of football. Last season we finished 6th - the year before we finished 6th. But, out of the two, which season will be look back on and actually remember fondly?

Hughton might be proven winner at this level but I want us to go for something different. He's not the answer for me.

And this isn't a criticism of anybody who has suggested him. Because, you know what, quite what is the answer, I genuinely have no idea.

But what I do know is that it must be properly boring to support a club that doesn't do this year in, year out. If I was a Burnley fan, what on earth would I have to browse on their forum all day whilst pretending to be busy at work?!

Nothing else needs to be said, can someone pass this onto Mel. Keeping a style and getting a manager in that matches that style. This way everytime a manager is changed we don't need a whole new team. Bravo bravo

Said it last week, and I'm sticking with it. John Terry.

Where better to start his managerial career than the club who's just given his former colleagues a chance. A club they now know so well and can pass on all the Pro's/Con's (as opposed to him taking over a club he has no information on).

Terry developed under the same management as Lampard, and whilst he might be different, surely their ideas are very similar.

Like him or loathe him, he will be less of a risk than anyone else. And Lampard will want to leave the club in what he considers to be safe hands.

Retain Given. Lampard will have Cech.

Derby's stock will remain high and we will continue to attract players.

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Out of this list I wonder who was, supposedly, contacting us regarding our vacancy?  This kinda behaviour has Pardue, Appleton, Sherwood & Holloway written all over them...

#chancers

Cheaky £10 on Chris hughton at 16s... ? 

46 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

The only problem is that we don't have a style and are in need of a rebuild. We've got two centre halfs the wrong side of 30 and void of any Centre midfielders barring Graham Shinnie and an aging Tom Huddlestone and Bradley Johnson. Brighton tried to play expansive with Oscar Garcia and Sami Hypia, that failed and Hughton got them up played some nice football. 

Really don't want us to go down the route of a manager learning on the job, relying on loan players to bail us out. Loans should be only used to complement the core of the squad, Mac 1 did it perfectly. 

Archived